Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it possible to buy and get a home EV Charger installed for the €600 SEAI Grant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dublinscot

I'm in the same boat, except the quotes i'm getting are around 1200-1300.

Would also appreciate any info!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

The price really depends on what needs to be done, and if you need a priority switch for a power shower, so it can vary a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

I already have an outside plug installed so I would think it is just a matter of bringing a cable from that to the charger?

I also would never have the electric shower on at the same time as the car would be charging as I will only be charging at night on night rate electricity.

So is it realistic that an electrician can install something like that for €320?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭User1998

reni10 wrote: »
    I already have an outside plug installed so I would think it is just a matter of bringing a cable from that to the charger?

I also would never have the electric shower on at the same time as the car would be charging as I will only be charging at night on night rate electricity.

So is it realistic that an electrician can install something like that for €320?

It needs to be signed off by RECI. So you can’t just tell the electrician, “ah don’t worry I’l make sure not to turn the shower on while charging”. You’ll need a priority switch which adds about €100 to the cost. And it needs to be wired from your fuse box, not the outdoor socket. Its also quite difficult to find an electrician willing to install something they didn’t supply, specifically when it needs to be signed off. It took me a fair few phone calls before I found someone

I bought a unit online myself and had a sparks install it and it still came to over €700. Imo theres no point getting a big ugly charge point installed if you already have an outdoor socket. Most phev’s will not benefit from the increased charging speed, unless yours is different?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

I can charge slightly quicker using the proper EV charger over the 3 pin granny cable plus I was thinking of I can get the cost covered by the grant then I should go for that as it will also work for any future EVs that we might purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I am about to get a 2nd had PHEV and I want to avail of the €600 EV Charger Grant but most quotes I see are around the €1000 mark so is it possible to buy one and get it installed for no more than the €600 that is available from the grant?

I see this on Amazon for about €280: https://www.amazon.co.uk/QUBEV-CHARGING-UNIT-TYPE-SOCKET/dp/B07WW6ZWVN/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=ev%2Bcharger&qid=1612891029&quartzVehicle=29-405&replacementKeywords=ev&sr=8-5&th=1

So surely it does not cost more than €320 to get an electrician to install?

If anyone has done this then can you please pass on the details here or if not allowed then please PM me.

It’s possible depending on what’s required.
    I bought my charger for €200 on the Facebook group 3 years ago.
    I ran the cable during renovations and bought the 40a RCBO.
    Sparks mate fitted the RCBO, tested the unit and the cable and asked for €80. I have him €100. So about €370 all in including the RCBO and cable.

I then got the €600 grant back.

Last week I bought the QUBEV charger for my parents house on Amazon from evonestop and for some reason they took the vat off it and I got it delivered to the door for 231.
    I then got electrician to supply and fit everything, testing and also an outdoor socket across the other side of the house and his fee was €600.

Grant payment request lodged for that so nett cost will be €231 which includes an outdoor socket elsewhere.

The outdoor socket you have may not be 32a capable. So this would mean upgrading the cable back to the consumer unit. It doesn’t matter if you’ll never have the shower on at the same time, they are both an appliance in the house so they have to be treated as on. If not by you, then the next person. So a priority switch has to be installed or you get a smart charger with mod balancing built in.

You need 2 certs from the electrician afterwards.
    The Cert 3 and also a test record sheet for the house which are also submitted to the ESB, SEAI check with ESB before paying out for the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

You can granny charge from any ordinary household outlet, and an outdoor one is ideal. You can add 2kWh of energy per hour, or around 100km of range in 10 hours. If you want a proper charge point it will charge car 3 times quicker.

In the past it was possible to get charger and work completed for 600. However now a days you might need to buy a second hand charger and get a very local friendly electrician to wire it up. You don't need a receipt from buying the charger, so used is OK. Typically quotes now a days are 1000 euro of which 600 is covered by seai grant.

You should consider it as an investment for your home and it can probably be reused even if you change cars, so may have a life of 10 or 15 years. Its nothing compared to price of car and depreciation on car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

might as well install a dedicated charger outside if you can afford it.

as far as i know, you can (or could) get Electric ireland to install a charge point for a net of €150

• Registered Users Posts: 64,734 ✭✭✭✭unkel

For a standard install, just on the other side of the wall of where your consumer unit is, not needing any other work like priority switches, yes it can be done. Buy a second hand charge point for about €300 (fairly easily done) and find an electrician who won't rip you off. Cable, ducting and an RCBO cost about €60-€70 and the job takes about 1.5-2 hours for a tradesman who has done a few before, so even at €100 per hour it is totally doable within the €600 budget, giving you a free install after the €600 subsidy

Even with a brand new basic charge point you should be able to come in under, or at worst, slightly over budget

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yes is the answer, I recently sold my charger and priority switch as I was moving to a PV setup.
    As I already had the cabling in place I would not accept (and in fairness the electrician agreed) a high price for installation especially as I was getting a PV install from same guy.
    Ended up getting a Zappi2 installed for a net cost to me of €64 taking into account electrician fee (install/testing/signoff), Zappi2/Isolator switch and deduction of Grant and proceeds of used charger/priority switch sale.
    I would be quite certain the person I sold my old gear to (perfect working order) will get his install for under €600 unless mad installation.

A lot of folk have zero need for a smart charge point, especially now when the car app will suffice, why waste the money?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭James_R

We bought our charging unit from the car manufacturer and are now trying to source an electrician to do the job. We've found once they hear about the grant the price always comes back as €600 for install only. Would anyone recommend a good electrician in South Dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,250 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You don’t always need a priority switch.

many chargers have on board dynamic load management.

Take the VW charger at €479, it has it you just need to buy a CT for about €25 euro.

so the cost is €504, a electrician ( not one who exclusively does chargers ) will fit it fit about 250.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Hi, as this thread is close to my question it might suit here. I plan on having a EV at the start of next year, can a home charger be sought and installed before then? and still apply for the grant? I would like to try to use the lead time to have it in place to not have to rely on public charging. I guess the granny cable would tie me over a bit and mix public charging.

You need grant approval before work starts. You need some proof of an EV to get grant approval. I have heard of those with a can on the way use the " Vin number" supplied by the dealer to prove an EV is on order or some other proof an EV is coming. Ring SEAI for details, ask dealer what proof of order they have.

You can granny charge for a few weeks, but it's terribly slow, it depends on your commute, if you will get enough power from each night, before you leave again the next day, if not you will need to public charge. It's typically about 100km you get per night granny charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Chuppa Siopa

If anyone can recommend one in South Dublin, then please DM me too.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

You can have good or you can have cheap. Rarely both. But high cost does not always mean high quality.

Just get someone with a good reputation especially for after care.

What charger did you get?

Just to note that VW don't recommend using a CT on installs with their chargers yet. Might have a knock on effect with warranty issues etc.

since when ? I asked them recently and they replied , pointing me to the manual that says to use them.

Regarding your request, we would like kindly to provide you with the following link in order to download the "Overload Protection Guideline" where you will find all the information you need:https://www.elli.eco/downloads

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The hardware is in the charge point. The manual explains how to connect it and it works.

Who in VW told you it wasnt recommended? Bad info is what you got I'd say.

• Advertisement

You need an EV on order or in person as you have to send a photo of the car with reg plate attached and charger installed with the payment request form.

The info is good.

The CT works no bother and can be configured with the dip switches but it is still not recommended by the manufacturer. The issue is that if it fails it doesn't fail to safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Where is the info coming from exactly? When you say "VW", is that VW Ireland or some support engineer or who exactly?

As said, its not in their documentation (in fact the very opposite) and no such warnings are given when you buy it. They would be exposing themselves to a massive liability if they are selling a product with a fatal flaw since they clearly document that you can use that feature.

Can you provide references for this recommendation?

Where does the manufacturer ever say that. I put the question directly to VW who got the manufacturer to reply and I posted my answer above.

Post edited by ted1 on

In terms of fail safe, the main ESB fuse in the meter will blow if the total draw to the house is too much, which is what fails safe. Also the circuit breaker or MCB or whatever to the charge point should be rated at whatever the maximum the fuseboard can handle, which in my case was 25amp not 40 amp due to the wiring. This would trip if the charger drew more than what the wiring can handle. The current clamp is to prevent nuisance tripping and tripping the main fuse after which the ESB often ask an electrician to recertify the house is wired ok.

You can buy 16A 230V 3.6KW charging cable on aliexpress for 120 euro. I don't know about cost of postage to Europe but they seem to be shipping from Czech republic in some cases.

You’d pick up a proper, CE marked cable on adverts for that. I wouldn’t risk Ali express for stuff like this.

10A or 16A? A 16amp cable is an option to get a reasonable charging solution for smaller battery sized EVs.

Advertisement