Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPD cycling shoes recommendation

Options
  • 09-02-2021 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi all,

I put a set of shimano m324 onto my commuter a few years ago but never got around to getting any shoes.

I want to start doing some longer cycles and want to get some clipless shoes now. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I like the idea of the recessed type of shoe, and would like something fairly water resistant. I'm hoping to spend <100 on them. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I have something similar to these.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-me2-me200-mtb-shoes-2018/rp-prod162733?mx01=a&mx02=a

The reason I like them is that there is nothing really to go wrong with them. Simple Velcro straps. I am not a fan of anything with clips and springs to tighten or loosen straps. They invariably break while the rest of the shoe is still fine. Bear in mind if buying Shimano to go at least one size up from your normal shoe size as they tend to be tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I've got quite wide feet so Shimano were a no go for me, I couldn't fit my feet into them even a size up.

I went with Specialized Torch 2.0 which are very comfortable, I was surprised how comfy they are. Their entry-level Torch 1.0 are meant to be excellent shoes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I have something similar to these.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-me2-me200-mtb-shoes-2018/rp-prod162733?mx01=a&mx02=a

The reason I like them is that there is nothing really to go wrong with them. Simple Velcro straps. I am not a fan of anything with clips and springs to tighten or loosen straps. They invariably break while the rest of the shoe is still fine. Bear in mind if buying Shimano to go at least one size up from your normal shoe size as they tend to be tight.

I see that these are mtb shoes, is there any real difference between them and road bike shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭cletus

Peck3277 wrote: »
    I see that these are mtb shoes, is there any real difference between them and road bike shoes?

The type of cleat they use is the main difference. You have sold pedals, so you'll be looking mostly at mountain bike shoes.

Regarding the boa fastening system mentioned above, I think somebody said in another thread that they are repaired under warranty by boa if they break

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

I have several pairs of shimano spds- all more than ten years old with almost daily use.

Fairly worn to be sure, in fact can't read the label but think they are an MT-48.

They have laces & a velcro strap, very user friendly.
    Dont think they make these particular model anymore, they were roughly 40 quid iirc.

As for waterproofness, up to a point with overshoes.
    Am presently using the galibier ones with are not bad but starting to frey after maybe three months . They all do & none are waterproof just varying degrees of resistance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have two pairs of Giro SPD shoes, love them, Rumble VR for casual use and Privateer for more CX orientated riding/racing. Both are recessed and easy too walk in, the Rumbles are effectively just trainers with recessed cleats, although you can hear the cleats on hard floors but you can't feel it and it doesn't wear them. The Privateers look like road shoes but are super comfy and you can easily walk in them, although a bit stiffer than the rumbles.

Advertisement