Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did Tom Pidcock run a 13:25 5KM?

Options
  • 08-02-2021 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

Cycling prodigy Tom Pidcock posted an apparently staggering 13:25 for a local 5K after finishing his cyclocross season, and just before he starts the road season with Team Ineos. That time is only 5 seconds slower than the UK road record and 50 seconds slower than the track record.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/tom-pidcock-posts-staggering-5k-run-time-during-off-bike-training-490150

Most people are doubtful and many have pointed to twitchy Garmin data and his running style and cadence as proof of something not being quite right. Pidcock himself remarked that he didn't know that this was quite so fast for a 5K!

Whether he's running 13:25 or 15:00 for 5k, how would a guy who regularly uses power data and gps files on his bike, be so unaware of his apparent ability running 5K. Is he a talented noob to running, is he trolling the running world, or is he not the sharpest tool in the shed?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Cycling prodigy Tom Pidcock posted an apparently staggering 13:25 for a local 5K after finishing his cyclocross season, and just before he starts the road season with Team Ineos. That time is only 5 seconds slower than the UK road record and 50 seconds slower than the track record.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/tom-pidcock-posts-staggering-5k-run-time-during-off-bike-training-490150

Most people are doubtful and many have pointed to twitchy Garmin data and his running style and cadence as proof of something not being quite right. Pidcock himself remarked that he didn't know that this was quite so fast for a 5K!

Whether he's running 13:25 or 15:00 for 5k, how would a guy who regularly uses power data and gps files on his bike, be so unaware of his apparent ability running 5K. Is he a talented noob to running, is he trolling the running world, or is he not the sharpest tool in the shed?

Any thoughts?

Yeah seen that earlier and I'd think its a bit dubious.
    There no doubt thet Tom is a phenomenon athlete as is evident by his recent 4th place at the world cyclecross champs. As im sure you know how tough cyclecross is.
    Because he is some what used to running I think he is well capable of running a fast 5k, I'm just not convinced he could run that fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Seen the Strava link for it, he ran his first kilometre in 0 seconds, might be talented but no way he ran 13.25.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

His GPS looks like an etch a sketch, and he's basing it on Strava saying you ran a 5k PB as part of a longer activity.
    Talented athlete, get him on a track and see how he gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Not a chance, his gps track is all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

and 4.06mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

He's 21. His level of cop on isn't fully developed yet.

I'd rank this claim alongside all those people, family members included who say to me 'Oh, you run marathons? I do too, but I only do the women only one in Dublin on the June bank holiday'
    An innocent mistake with no harm intended

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

He's 21. His level of cop on isn't fully developed yet.

I'd rank this claim alongside all those people, family members included who say to me 'Oh, you run marathons? I do too, but I only do the women only one in Dublin on the June bank holiday'
    An innocent mistake with no harm intended

It's a completely different senario. He's a high performing sportsperson so is well aware of different levels in sport and what it takes to achieve them. I dont know what the motivation behind these type of stunts is but hes well aware its not legit. People his age are so tech savy that they surely know how easy it is to disprove. His cadence was 170 which is far too low for any type of fast running unless hes 9 feet tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

ultrapercy wrote: »
    It's a completely different senario. He's a high performing sportsperson so is well aware of different levels in sport and what it takes to achieve them. I dont know what the motivation behind these type of stunts is but hes well aware its not legit. People his age are so tech savy that they surely know how easy it is to disprove. His cadence was 170 which is far too low for any type of fast running unless hes 9 feet tall.

I didn't say I believed him, just that he's bragged about something which anyone can tell is implausible. Not quite here, but he's getting levels of abuse on other sites that are off the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I didn't say I believed him, just that he's bragged about something which anyone can tell is implausible. Not quite here, but he's getting levels of abuse on other sites that are off the wall

But he should know as a 21 year old putting something up on social media that is completely implausible leaves yourself wide open to abuse. I’ve seen some of the abuse you’re alluding to and it’s totally unwarranted but he’s a sportsman competing at World level he should have expected as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

OOnegative wrote: »
    But he should know as a 21 year old putting something up on social media that is completely implausible leaves yourself wide open to abuse. I’ve seen some of the abuse you’re alluding to and it’s totally unwarranted but he’s a sportsman competing at World level he should have expected as much.

How many people know who Tom Pidcock is this week versus last week :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I’d be amazed if he wasn’t taking the p!ss. His performances in cyclocross are top, top drawer, and I imagine running must form at least a small part of his training. There is no way he could be unaware of the ability it takes to run a 13:25 5k, or indeed the misreadings GPS sometimes serves up.

IMHO, his assessment on his run that “Apparently this is very quick.” was just done to stoke the predictable sense of outrage from the stereotypical Strava subscriber.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Has nobody measured his route on Google maps yet to see how much less than the claimed 5+ miles it really is?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

robinph wrote: »
    Has nobody measured his route on Google maps yet to see how much less than the claimed 5+ miles it really is?

Just checked, his fastest 5k was roughly 4.7k once you smooth the route out. Still pretty good though.

Advertisement