Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Rugby Union pundit

Options
  • 09-02-2021 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Who is your favourite pundit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Favourite is ROG...always insightful, and his ability to size up a game is second to none.
    can't stand Jennings, makes Bernard Jackman look positively brilliant

Could listen to ROG all day

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

ROG is a great shout, honest to a fault. Jerry Flannery was great as well when he used to do it, was extremely insightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Favourite is ROG...always insightful, and his ability to size up a game is second to none.
    can't stand Jennings, makes Bernard Jackman look positively brilliant

ROG is excellent. Agree.
    I cant agree about Jennings. Think he's very good. Straight to point, no bull**** and certainly better than Jackman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

George Hook.

Nobody reminds you as quickly as George does how useless pundits are.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Will Greenwood shades it over Brian O’Driscoll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭leakyboots

ROG probably isn't the most entertaining for many by dint of his dry nature (I actually find him gas, some of the OTB roadshows with him are gold) but his insight is super. Very straight talker too. He takes time to consider his opinion which is probably a nightmare for producers with the dead airtime but when he does talk it's usually worthwhile.

Jerry Fla was good too I thought for insight. I like Jackman on co-commentary duty, less so as a pundit. He's a good man to get across what's going on on the pitch live. Toland is awful, Luke Fitz is dire. Heaslip I'm actually warming to, brings a bit of positivity, a nice counterbalance if paired with a complementary commentator or pundit in studio. Mark Robson makes me want to tear off my ears and I'm not gone on Ferris.

I sometimes find with Jennings he's angling for a go at Munster, he's not the most professional of pundits. There was some cringey moment in the analysis with Stringer and Tommy Bowe recently in Thomond where he remarked something a bit snarkily like 'well you would say that' to Stringer on a difference of opinion who didn't look like he appreciated the jibe at all, especially live. These lads are retired and meant to be somewhat impartial. He's not the worst mind, just not my cup of tea.

As an aside, Tommy Bowe has really come on as a presenter. He was quite nervous and jittery at the start.

I love watching matches on TG4, great to hear a bit of Gaeilge (edit: and see the lovely Máire Treasa!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Does no one watch BBC, ITV or Sky pundits. I don't watch VM's 6N coverage because its in SD only on Saorview and here in the North we can't get it via Sky.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Shane Jennings is the only one of the current lot that isn’t afraid to say something that might upset his mates.

ROG I really want to like but he takes forever to make his point. It’s painful to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Does no one watch BBC, ITV or Sky pundits. I don't watch VM's 6N coverage because its in SD only on Saorview and here in the North we can't get it via Sky.

I thought Warburton and Johnson were excellent on the BBC at the weekend and Heaslip is great on the co coms.

Paul o connell was excellent on Itv during world cup with Bod.

Keith wood is excellent too.

Don't watch VM prefer Joe molloy on the radio.
    Can't stand Williams and jennings isn't great.

FOR Eir. Tommy is getting better at his role. Id prefer stringer over D'Arcy. Murray kinsella is very knowledgeable.

Used to enjoy horgan and conor o shea on rte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 machip

Murray Kinsella hands down. Super technical insight and great delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Jonathan Davies

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I really like Martin Johnson, the fact he’s on BBC might make him seem better as he’s used sparingly, similar to John Barclay when he’s not doing Scottish stuff.

At this stage I hate almost everything about BT sport comms and pundits, aside from the banter boys, Nick Mullins and co never shut up and constantly talk over the refs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Dave Flatman weirdly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Williams and Franno on Setanta back in the day were the best pairing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Will Greenwood shades it over Brian O’Driscoll.

Though Greenwood frequently gets a slating, I actually think his underlying analysis is usually insightful and interesting. The Sky Sports bombast particularly anything to do with the fupping Lions, and his complete over the top enthusiasm is grating and probably drowns out his decent actual analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Another shout for Williams and Francis. V good

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

You must enjoy pulling the wings off flies, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Faugheen wrote: »
    Shane Jennings is the only one of the current lot that isn’t afraid to say something that might upset his mates.

ROG I really want to like but he takes forever to make his point. It’s painful to listen to.

Jennings is probably the most one eyed pundit we have since the heyday of Frankie Sheehan

Conor O'Shea was probably the last pundit I enjoyed.

They're all quite safe these days and pretty much all the same person - very interchangeable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

.ak wrote: »
    You must enjoy pulling the wings off flies, too.

It was the best coverage the Magners/Rabo/Pro14 ever had.

Conor O’Shea’s credibility has taken a knock since his spectacular failure with Italy. I like him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Jim Demps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Conor O’Shea’s credibility has taken a knock since his spectacular failure with Italy. I like him though.

Not many would be a success in Italy.

Off topic i wonder would he do a better job than nusofora?

Realistically if south Africa join the 6 nations tournament it wont become the 7 nations. Italy would drop down a level and it would be a better tournament 6 quality top teams.

Who were the pundits on Amazon prime actually just in case they pick up the super rugby season??

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sliabh 1956

RoG is so passionate also I thought BoD's review of Sundays game on OTB was excellent

Not many would be a success in Italy.

Off topic i wonder would he do a better job than nusofora?

Realistically if south Africa join the 6 nations tournament it wont become the 7 nations. Italy would drop down a level and it would be a better tournament 6 quality top teams.

Who were the pundits on Amazon prime actually just in case they pick up the super rugby season??

Conor O’Shea’s job was to develop Italian rugby and put them on a path to relative success.

His legacy is the Italian side losing something like 26 and counting Six Nations games on the bounce and becoming a laughing stock against a backdrop of calls to eject them from the competition and replace them with Georgia.

Conor O’Shea’s credibility is in tatters.

Nice fella though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Scratchly

Jennings. Well spoken, insightful and detailed. Jackman is pretty good too.

ROG is ok but waffles too much. Reminds me of GAA commentators too trotting out the same clichés over and over going on about bravery and hunger only with "the French attitude" peppered into things.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Love Bernard Jackman, always great insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It was the best coverage the Magners/Rabo/Pro14 ever had.

I preferred running my nails down chalkboard. Horrible, horrible stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Scratchly wrote: »
    Jennings. Well spoken, insightful and detailed. Jackman is pretty good too.

ROG is ok but waffles too much. Reminds me of GAA commentators too trotting out the same clichés over and over going on about bravery and hunger only with "the French attitude" peppered into things.

Jackman isnt pretty good. Waffles, talks nonsense.
    ROG i wouldnt call what he says waffling. He certainly doesnt use cliches much.

Advertisement