Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sort of architecture styles would you see if you walked around Waterford?

Options
  • 30-01-2021 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Waterford has buildings from many different time periods. Can anyone identity the styles that you might find walking around the city and where you find them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Roccoco and Gothic revivalist! Fit perfectly in a post industrial Viking city.

Oh i thought you said like to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

There's plenty of interesting architecture around if you just slow down and look around. It's an interesting question though, OP, because I wouldn't have a clue what I'm looking at, and it would be great to do a walking tour with someone who knows about architectural history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm sure this topic came up in a thread last year/maybe 2019 but dunno which one. Maybe Waterford Developments or Property but maybe North Quays thread (old one).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Functionalist. Not quite brutalist but it performs it's function without exactly looking endearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Waterford has buildings from many different time periods. Can anyone identity the styles that you might find walking around the city and where you find them?

Much of the city is Georgian architecture. Specially around The Mall. Familiarity breeds contempt but, as has been said, if you slow down and look around you start to see some of the impressive buildings around the city. Apparently, the GPO is the Venetian Gothic style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

The mall itself I believe is a Georgian idea. They wanted long wide streets. Think they had to redirect the river to accomplish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mad Peggy

I'm very old school and I like the idea of a bit of "all together".

I think if we built flats, houses, and every single thing in the shape of the old train station in ferry bank we would be doing well.

- MP

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭new92

There's the Italianate towers of St. Catherines Hall on Catherine Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

new92 wrote: »
    There's the Italianate towers of St. Catherines Hall on Catherine Street.

Very Shabby Chic if the state of some of those lovely old buildings on that street are anything to go by :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

There are at least pre Georgian fragments of Dutch Billies in John Robert's square. Two post medieval timbered framed structures too.

• Advertisement

Advertisement