Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take the knee

Options
  • 07-02-2021 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭

England V Scotland, didn't look great as many of the players didn't take the knee and none of the match officials did.

Either everyone takes the knee or get rid of it and replace it with something else that everyone can get behind (although it is so hard trying to please everyone these days).

Anyone any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

England V Scotland, didn't look great as many of the players didn't take the knee and none of the match officials did.

Either everyone takes the knee or get rid of it and replace it with something else that everyone can get behind (although it is so hard trying to please everyone these days).

Anyone any thoughts?

Some may view "tanking the knee" as disrespectful. Each player should be allowed to make their own decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

taking the knee has no place in sprot. its a political statement. and should be banned.

Anyone any thoughts?

Yes, this is a terrible topic that will draw some of the worst commentators from the fringe of boards to this forum.

I personally would show solidarity and kneel - I wouldn't expect anyone else to do anything they weren't comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭karlitob

Why? And says who?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

walshtipp wrote: »
    Some may view "tanking the knee" as disrespectful. Each player should be allowed to make their own decision.
    Why is it disrespectful?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The only people who should "take the knee" in rugby are the second rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Nozebleed wrote: »
    taking the knee has no place in sprot. its a political statement. and should be banned.

Whatever :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Widye

Good. Excellent to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I'd bet no-one will for today's game,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Widye wrote: »

Good. Excellent to see.

Why is it excellent to see? Isn't it meant to show solidarity with the struggle against racism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Scratchly

Looked good to me. No idiots adopting American crap that has no relevance to European sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

And down the rabbit hole we go...............

Why is it disrespectful?

You should stand and face the flag. It's shows disrespect to a nation by kneeling during a national anthem. As a previous post said, this is a political statement with no place on the sports field.

Widye wrote: »

please quote me properly as others think I said what you said.

You should stand and face the flag. It's shows disrespect to a nation by kneeling during a national anthem. As a previous post said, this is a political statement with no place on the sports field.

It was after the anthems.

It was after the anthems.

Apologies I didn't see the rugby. I was thinking of how the Americans do it.

Apologies I didn't see the rugby. I was thinking of how the Americans do it.

We're in the Rugby forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

"you have to stand a face the flag " what nonsense.

Bet there's a good cross over in the " but mah freeze peach" crowd that don't think that extends to sports people, but of course making someone stand to attention and face a flag is definitely not political.....

It's very telling on twitter the amount of accounts that whinge about this stuff and comment with things like people should only take a knee or bow before "god or the queen" , bloody losers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement