Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs you are dealing with a 'Rooter'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kk.man

NcdJd wrote: »
    Anyone here take the point off the shovel ? One of our neighbours used to do it. Easier to use.

I bought one a few years ago in aldi or somewhere not a grain shovel. Its got a straight 'point'.. Great job far better than the pointed ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

kk.man wrote: »
    I bought one a few years ago in aldi or somewhere not a grain shovel. Its got a straight 'point'.. Great job far better than the pointed ones.

Try digging a hole with it though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    I wonder how many actually use a 4 grain fork now? All work done by machinery now.
    I use one every night for forking up the diet feed.

I still have the first 4 grain fork that I bought in 1983 albeit with new handles added over the years. The first 2 grains on the left hand side are well worn down compared too the other two. I gave it to my sister (who is left handed) years ago and she uses it to fork dung into the vegetable patch. Recycling at it's best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote:
    I wonder how many actually use a 4 grain fork now? All work done by machinery now.

All my calf sheds have to be bedded and cleaned out by hand. Tractor won't fit into sheds. That's rooting at it's best!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

visatorro wrote: »
    All my calf sheds have to be bedded and cleaned out by hand. Tractor won't fit into sheds. That's rooting at it's best!

Think how healthy you are after the exercise
    Some people pay gym membership to do same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,156 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Think how healthy you are after the exercise
    Some people pay gym membership to do same

No, it only makes you realise how unhealthy you are

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

visatorro wrote: »

I usually use barrow and grape even where the tractor fits.
    Ya have to be doing some exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,156 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Weld an inch and a half steel tube to the shovel, a lifetime job

Does it not vibrate when you use it? Put a steel handle on a fork here and on a sledge hammer. The sledge hammer is hard work tbh. You'll never lose them as no one will use them

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

whelan2 wrote: »
    Does it not vibrate when you use it? Put a steel handle on a fork here and on a sledge hammer. The sledge hammer is hard work tbh. You'll never lose them as no one will use them

Shovel is grand, no vibration at all, the sledgehammer is hard work with a steel handle tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Using the stove to burn out the remainder of the timber shaft in a fork today. Herself wasn't impressed

https://flic.kr/p/2kzaQUe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,372 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Using the stove to burn out the remainder of the timber shaft in a fork today. Herself wasn't impressed

You should be ashamed of yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

A wife is perhaps the biggest motivation not to be a rooter

Or maybe rooters don’t get married usually

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

oh sociological study there.should be interesting comments!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Good loser

You're implying there are no female (lady) rooters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Brave fire their. On the stub left in the fork.i asked that here some weeks back & someone suggested instead of the fire, next time get a big long screw & screw it into the wooden stub & then put the head of the screw in the vice & tap/hammer the fork out away from the broken stub.

It worked a treat,so much so that I've used that method on a couple of broken stubs since.
    (Don't forget to take out the metal pin that the maker puts through the handle first)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

ruwithme wrote: »
    Brave fire their. On the stub left in the fork.i asked that here some weeks back & someone suggested instead of the fire, next time get a big long screw & screw it into the wooden stub & then put the head of the screw in the vice & tap/hammer the fork out away from the broken stub.

It worked a treat,so much so that I've used that method on a couple of broken stubs since.
    (Don't forget to take out the metal pin that the maker puts through the handle first)

Putting things in the fire to get the handle out makes a bollix of the temper in the steel as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Putting things in the fire to get the handle out makes a bollix of the temper in the steel as well.

Id say that fork is here 20 yrs . If the work its had here hasn't killed it a turf fire won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Worked in a hardware store for over a decade.

I've seen many the rooter.

One lad came for a pallet of blocks

6 x 4 trailer.

The best way to describe the condition and design of this trailer is that the tail board was made from a household radiator and everything else was rotton

I point blank refused to load him. Told him to go home and get a proper trailer.

I'd never live with myself if some innocent person was killed because I loaded him.

Irish people and trailers, I've seen some whoppers on the road that aren't suitable to be in a scrapyard let alone behind a vehicle. We have a better standard on tje road in the last decade but there are still yokes on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Same here only difference I would load them to the hilt, blocks seemed to be the killer and used love to load them onto a dodgy trailer and see them disengrate and the look of horror on the owners face priceless, the place was like a grave yard for car trainers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

kerryjack wrote: »
    Same here only difference I would load them to the hilt, blocks seemed to be the killer and used love to load them onto a dodgy trailer and see them disengrate and the look of horror on the owners face priceless, the place was like a grave yard for car trainers.

I understand that, but i know of a man that was killed..pinned to a wall by a trailer that decoupled.

I'm imagining this fool head out the gate and shedding the load and injuring a child or something horrific like that.

My satisfaction was letting him know his trailer was a piece of **** and shouldn't be on the road.

I works for a well know trailer component manufacturer. I come across incidences of trailer decoupling at least once a week, never mind wheels flying off into ditches.

I remember last year one "know it all" clown told me the brakes were very poorly designed. He was using a chain around the hitch on a 3.5 tonne trailer pulling a 3 tonne digger.

He was significantly overloaded with that weight in the trailer, and by using the chain he prevents the brakes on the trailer working if it decoupled.
    I pointed this out to him
    He proceeds to to tell me that he doesn't trust the brakes to work. They're unreliable.

Really, when did you service your trailer past I asked?
    Never.

When did you service your jeep which is half the weight of the trailer last? A few months ago.

Trailer brakes are not unreliable if they're maintained

You'll service the jeep but not the trailer. If the brakes don't work on the jeep would you drive it?

Of course not.
    Best you fix the brakes before a tuned in RSA checkpoint spots you're illegal on the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I understand that, but i know of a man that was killed..pinned to a wall by a trailer that decoupled.

I'm imagining this fool head out the gate and shedding the load and injuring a child or something horrific like that.

My satisfaction was letting him know his trailer was a piece of **** and shouldn't be on the road.

I works for a well know trailer component manufacturer. I come across incidences of trailer decoupling at least once a week, never mind wheels flying off into ditches.

I remember last year one "know it all" clown told me the brakes were very poorly designed. He was using a chain around the hitch on a 3.5 tonne trailer pulling a 3 tonne digger.

He was significantly overloaded with that weight in the trailer, and by using the chain he prevents the brakes on the trailer working if it decoupled.
    I pointed this out to him
    He proceeds to to tell me that he doesn't trust the brakes to work. They're unreliable.

Really, when did you service your trailer past I asked?
    Never.

When did you service your jeep which is half the weight of the trailer last? A few months ago.

Trailer brakes are not unreliable if they're maintained

You'll service the jeep but not the trailer. If the brakes don't work on the jeep would you drive it?

Of course not.
    Best you fix the brakes before a tuned in RSA checkpoint spots you're illegal on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Jb1989 wrote: »

Saw that.
    Badly abused trailer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Worked in a hardware store for over a decade.

I've seen many the rooter.

One lad came for a pallet of blocks

6 x 4 trailer.

The best way to describe the condition and design of this trailer is that the tail board was made from a household radiator and everything else was rotton

I point blank refused to load him. Told him to go home and get a proper trailer.

I'd never live with myself if some innocent person was killed because I loaded him.

Irish people and trailers, I've seen some whoppers on the road that aren't suitable to be in a scrapyard let alone behind a vehicle. We have a better standard on tje road in the last decade but there are still yokes on the road.

During the fodder crisis in 2013 some of the local marts started sourcing and distributing imported fodder to those in need. Towards the end of the crisis the fodder situation locally was getting critical and I decided I was better avail of some for my own stock. On the day of the next delivery I was queued in the mart yard along with other local men awaiting our fair share. There was a tractor with a front loader available to load anyone with a jeep/car and trailer as needed.

Eventually it was my turn and having loaded the bale I stood around chatting with different lad's about the weather, cattle trade ect. Just as the last bales were being divided up in lands a local rooter with a battered Caddy van and an ancient 6x4 single axle cattle trailer. He managed to secure a bale for himself and the tractor driver set about loading the badly needed fodder. The bales were 8x4 and well packed although of poor quality. I only did ordinary maths in school but it was plain for everyone to see that this was going to be a tight squeeze.

Our man instructed the tractor driver to force the bale into the trailer while he sat in the van with the brake pedal to the floor as the handbrake wasn't working. The tractor driver duly obliged and by the time he'd pushed the van and trailer from one side of the yard to the other the bale was about halfway inside. After a quick inspection the general consensus was that it was wedged tight and it wouldn't stir for the short trip out the road. Someone remarked as to how the bale would be extracted from the trailer at the end of the journey. Our man would have kept lots of stock and all of them badly in need of sustenance at the time. He informed the worried bystander that there was 20 cows in a yard at the house and they could "eat it out of it". Sure enough a neighbour of the rooter told me that a few hours later there was nothing but an empty trailer and a pile of orange twines surrounded by 20 unimpressed cow's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

You'd want to see some of the yolks in the Mart. Mostly aul lads with one or two sheep in it. How they get through a checkpoint is a mystery...

arctictree wrote: »
    You'd want to see some of the yolks in the Mart. Mostly aul lads with one or two sheep in it. How they get through a checkpoint is a mystery...

The real rooter's only bother with a trailer for the decent sized loads. The small numbers go in the back of the van or fettered in the boot of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

The real rooter's only bother with a trailer for the decent sized loads. The small numbers go in the back of the van or fettered in the boot of the car.

Guilty again. I brought 2 calves home in the back of the van on Friday. Bought them for another man. Emptied the tools and fired in a bit of straw. Now I only had to bring them 6km but they were happy out in the back.

jimini0 wrote: »
    Guilty again. I brought 2 calves home in the back of the van on Friday. Bought them for another man. Emptied the tools and fired in a bit of straw. Now I only had to bring them 6km but they were happy out in the back.

If you don't possess some amount of rooter like qualities then simple job's can often be very complicated in my experience. I remember bringing home 4 weanlings from the mart years back with a car and 8×5 trailer. Another man asked me to carry a ewe and 2 small lambs for him and I didn't want to refuse him.

The boot of the car was full of meal bags and other junk so I got a pallet and tied it inside the side access door on the trailer and put the ewe behind it and loaded the weanlings. The 2 lambs went into the passenger footwell on top of a few empty meal bags. I like to think I done my bit for the environment by reducing the journey's needed to transport the stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

Jb1989 wrote: »

Two out of three tyres ripped !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

During the fodder crisis in 2013 some of the local marts started sourcing and distributing imported fodder to those in need. Towards the end of the crisis the fodder situation locally was getting critical and I decided I was better avail of some for my own stock. On the day of the next delivery I was queued in the mart yard along with other local men awaiting our fair share. There was a tractor with a front loader available to load anyone with a jeep/car and trailer as needed.

Eventually it was my turn and having loaded the bale I stood around chatting with different lad's about the weather, cattle trade ect. Just as the last bales were being divided up in lands a local rooter with a battered Caddy van and an ancient 6x4 single axle cattle trailer. He managed to secure a bale for himself and the tractor driver set about loading the badly needed fodder. The bales were 8x4 and well packed although of poor quality. I only did ordinary maths in school but it was plain for everyone to see that this was going to be a tight squeeze.

Our man instructed the tractor driver to force the bale into the trailer while he sat in the van with the brake pedal to the floor as the handbrake wasn't working. The tractor driver duly obliged and by the time he'd pushed the van and trailer from one side of the yard to the other the bale was about halfway inside. After a quick inspection the general consensus was that it was wedged tight and it wouldn't stir for the short trip out the road. Someone remarked as to how the bale would be extracted from the trailer at the end of the journey. Our man would have kept lots of stock and all of them badly in need of sustenance at the time. He informed the worried bystander that there was 20 cows in a yard at the house and they could "eat it out of it". Sure enough a neighbour of the rooter told me that a few hours later there was nothing but an empty trailer and a pile of orange twines surrounded by 20 unimpressed cow's.

Best one I've read in a long time, you should write a book, you have the makings of a great author.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Best one I've read in a long time, you should write a book, you have the makings of a great author.

We could start our own podcast between us all......
    The rooting and bolloxing hour, different host each week 🙄🀔😂

Better living everyone

Advertisement