Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dutch Language

Options
  • 06-02-2021 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Am I right in thinking its the closest major language to English? Numbers 1-20 look remarkably similar!

Always been a bit of a debate of whether English should be regarded as a Germanic or a Romance language. I mean it is officially regarded within the Germanic family but the Norman invasion changed so much of the vocabulary it feels quite distant from those languages. I don't think people find German any easier to learn than French or Spanish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

More so the Frisian dialect/sister langauge

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

They stopped just at the right time as from 21 onwards it continues with eenentwintig, translates to one-and-twenty. The last number is first and then the decimal. In English it is also like that up to nine-teen but then changes to twenty-one. I always found that a bit weird.

In Dutch it continues like that all the way to 99 (nine-and-ninety). It is the same in German. Most Dutch speaking people would say German is closest relation, not English.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Yesh....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

German is closer to Dutch, very close to Friesian, Which is the closest relative to English.

Friesian and 14th century English are dialects more than different languages.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Always been a bit of a debate of whether English should be regarded as a Germanic or a Romance language. I mean it is officially regarded within the Germanic family but the Norman invasion changed so much of the vocabulary it feels quite distant from those languages. I don't think people find German any easier to learn than French or Spanish.

I remember reading a book a long time ago about how the English language evolved (might have been one of Bill Bryson's) and it pointed out that because of it's Germanic roots English has the word green (grun in German). But thanks to the Norman invasion it also has verdant (from the French vert) meaning the same thing. This duplication of words from each source is replicated throughout the English language to the point that while it is officially a Germanic language, in reality it's more of a hybrid off on its own, distinct from both the Germanic and Romance languages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Sounds a bit like German with an influence of English. I've always heard they were similar which makes sense considering their close proximity geographically.

A Dutch person can probably understand a German speaker and vice versa.

Reminds me of the subtle differences between Irish and Scottish Gaelic which are very similar.

Edit. Makes you think all languages are a hybrid of each other through the eternity of time, integrated words and mixture of cultures. In that respect English is a mixture of thousands of generational languages that have come before it. Hundreds of thousands of years

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

A Swedish former colleague of mine told me that she wanted to learn Dutch, she thought it wouldn't be too difficult for her because to her it sounded like a mixture of German and Swedish and she could speak both languages already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Not surprising. Its only weird because English became so dominant and the British and later the USA became the world hegemony. Western Europe is cooler when you see it outside of a European lens. Its a tiny part of the globe. Amazing that it came to dominate the world.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

They are dirty in bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I find it a bit surprising that none of the indigenous British and Irish languages (Welsh, Irish, Cornish, Manx, Scots Gaelic etc) have little to no influence on English? Those languages are about as much related to English as the Slavic languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

More so the Frisian dialect/sister langauge

I've watched some of his videos, they're very good.

I've seen his video on the Irish language. I grew up in England before moving here at 14 and watching his video I'm glad I didn't learn it, even he remarks in the video its one of the tougher European languages to learn. Certainly much tougher than learning French, Spanish or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Would Dutch people be Germanic ?

Germans, Swiss and Austrians are very similar and can be hard to disguise

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Dutch from experience looks very difficult to understand in print but when spoken seems to be a mix between German and English, with much more of the Germanic influence. It is a very distinctive language.

English I believe - in my own impression of trying to view my own language - is Germanic in its roots and basic word order, but is so heavily influenced by Latin, Ancient Greek and early modern French in its lexicon, grammar and syntax that it is a sub-order of language of its own, which is a possible key to its global reach and success.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

PTH2009 wrote: »

Yes.

Dutch is Deutsch.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yes.

Dutch is Deutsch.

The Belgians could be a mix of German/French peoples same as Luxembourg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Yes.

Dutch is Deutsch.

Isn’t the term Dutch an exonym, where Nederlander is the endonym?

The Belgians could be a mix of German/French peoples same as Luxembourg

That's the Flemish.

Who, BTW, get very uppity if you get them wrong. Belgium can be an odd place though.

Isn’t the term Dutch an exonym, where Nederlander is the endonym?

Aye, it is.

But what I mean is that the Germans and the Dutch are pretty much the same people. There are some differences, but they stem from the same origins.

I am open to correction on this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭lucalux

Dutch and German are really mutually intelligible to me

However, I don't say that to Germans or the Dutch :)

With Dutch, once you get the accent down, and can recognise the word endings, it's much easier to learn.

Basically put on a heavy Jaap Schhhtam accent and you're halfway there

• Advertisement

Afrikaans is similar to Dutch isn't it ?

French, Dutch and South Africans can be pretty rude people at times

I like Dutch people for being less 'nice' than Irish people tbh.
    I'd rather people be rude cos they don't like me, than pretend they like me. Personal preference though.

lucalux wrote: »
    Dutch and German are really mutually intelligible to me

However, I don't say that to Germans or the Dutch :)

With Dutch, once you get the accent down, and can recognise the word endings, it's much easier to learn.

Basically put on a heavy Jaap Schhhtam accent and you're halfway there

Um, I don't know.

I can get to grips with German, which I find pretty straightforward (not that I'm a speaker mind you). But Dutch always leaves me in the dark.

The hardest thing about German is the masculine/feminine thing. "Die Luftwaffe" and all that.

Um, I don't know.

I can get to grips with German, which I find pretty straightforward (not that I'm a speaker mind you). But Dutch always leaves me in the dark.

The hardest thing about German is the masculine/feminine thing. "Die Luftwaffe" and all that.

I know what you mean, but if you have a good grasp of German, the sentence structure can be quite similar.
    I've been using Duolingo on and off for about 2 years now, and my school German is probably back where I was at when I left school, but my Dutch is almost at the same level after only 2years.

Practising it is the issue, speaking a language, making mistakes, getting the idioms, all that helps a lot I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Found the Dutch exceptionally friendly when we were in Amsterdam...struck up conversation with us without any prompting....wasn’t expecting it tbh

I've watched some of his videos, they're very good.

I've seen his video on the Irish language. I grew up in England before moving here at 14 and watching his video I'm glad I didn't learn it, even he remarks in the video its one of the tougher European languages to learn. Certainly much tougher than learning French, Spanish or German.

I moved here at 11 & did learn it. Wasn't that hard, I did honours level in school.I
    People.say the same about Finnish, that it's one of the hardest languages to learn, I don't think so at all.

I think the less like English, the easier to learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

I've been living in the Netherlands for 6 years and I still think it's a bollix of a language :P

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

As a Portuguese mothertongue than also speak other Latin languages, a see English as a corrupted Latin language with many of the words from Latin and often with different meanings. And many of the non Latin words and verbs have a synonym that is Latin like "commenced" instead of "started", "interred" instead of "buried", "augmented" instead of "increased" so on and on. Funny is that some Anglos says those kind of words to us thinking we can't understand.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    I think the less like English, the easier to learn!

English is so easy that I still have to find a foreigner that speaks it close enough to a native speaker. Even people from ex English colonies such as India or Nigeria that proudly says they were teached English from school are barely understandable. Met people here with more than 10 years living in Ireland that still needs someone to help with translation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I worked with a Dutch guys year. One day I asked him how most Dutch people seem to be almost fluent in English. He answered "Well why the fu*k would anybody learn Dutch".

I thought fair point

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Germans, Swiss and Austrians are very similar and can be hard to disguise

Similar to an outsider, but on the inside you can tell them apart very quickly, the accents are very distinct and the people do act different

Advertisement