Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not signing for delivery

Options
  • 06-02-2021 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

Wonder if anyone could comment.

Received a delivery today from an post (sent to me, didn’t order it). The stickers on it said it was signed for but the postman left it at the door and rang the bell.

We’ve noticed this with a lot of deliveries that we’ve received. And have been surprised to see it on the doorstep without even a knock on the door.

Is this normal? I’m sure it’s related to COVID but sure we don’t sanitise out door bell. How can any company prove that they have the package to a consumer. How can any consumer prove they didn’t receive it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

They take a photo in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Darc19 wrote: »
    They take a photo in most cases.

What if someone robs it? We had a parcel from DHL I think, a while ago. Wasn't for us, had an entirely different address on it, that was just fúcked over the gate into our driveway. Only reason I saw it instead of driving over it was that I was coming back with the dog having been out for a walk. We eventually found the intended recipient through social media and a whatsapp group in the area, and managed to contact her and she collected it. But what if we had just decided not to bother and then inevitably she called the delivery company. Would they just swear blind it was delivered?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Davauer

Companies are putting video recorders now on vans

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Davauer wrote: »
    Companies are putting video recorders now on vans

They should just put more effort in to actually delivering the packages.

Dropping it on the doorstep and ringing the bell isn't delivering imo.

YouTube is full of videos of people stealing packages from doorsteps in America. Who the **** looked at that and thought "let's use that system here"

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭EagerBeaverton

We've done all our shopping online since covid, probably received in the region of 50+ deliveries to the house at this stage. Not sure how common it is across the board but with the exception of an occasional delivery from non-an post couriers we've had all deliveries left at the front door with a door bell ring and the delivery person walking away without checking if it's collected. Even deliveries that have specified that they must be signed for have just been left like that. Even a delivery that was left at another house was marked by An Post as "Parcel was handed to resident" even though it was just dropped at their door - thankfully the person who's house it was left outside telephoned me to collect it when they returned home from work to find it at their door. We come back from work with deliveries sitting at front door. Thankfully live in decent estate and nothing's been nicked.

I think the only ones that actually knocked and waited for us to answer were deliveries of iPads and iPhones directly from Apple.

In terms of proof of delivery I can't comment. We haven't had an issue with a non-delivery bar the one going to the wrong house. That was from Amazon and my experience of their returns procedures has been excellent, they asked me to wait one more day and if it didn't turn up they'd refund in full no questions asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

karlitob wrote: »
    Wonder if anyone could comment.

Received a delivery today from an post (sent to me, didn’t order it). The stickers on it said it was signed for but the postman left it at the door and rang the bell.

We’ve noticed this with a lot of deliveries that we’ve received. And have been surprised to see it on the doorstep without even a knock on the door.

Is this normal? I’m sure it’s related to COVID but sure we don’t sanitise out door bell. How can any company prove that they have the package to a consumer. How can any consumer prove they didn’t receive it?

Not a big issue here as Irish people are quite honest, but it is a major issue in the UK where there is both dishonesty by the customer and theft by passers by

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭karlitob

Saw fastaway lob - from a distance - a package delivered to my neighbours. Rang to complain but of course - no number and no customer service.

Disgraceful thing to do - disrespecting someone’s property that they spent their hard earned money on. I was so annoyed.

Wonder what the consumer rights aspect of this is. I would expect that the product I bought is received first off; with some form of verifiable proof for both seller, receiver and delivery company, and received in the same state that it left the seller.

I’ve had a delivery driver throw a package over our side access door, which had to fall 6ft and land in a puddle. Apparently I was the one who was being difficult that €200 worth of product was now useless. And I was home!!!!

Not a big issue here as Irish people are quite honest, but it is a major issue in the UK where there is both dishonesty by the customer and theft by passers by

Could be left in the rain and destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I do some home deliveries and its quite common for me to sign the delivery notes and take a photo even if someone answers the door if nobody in i ring them and they say usually leave it somewhere around the house .I suppose there could be an issue if the customer denies getting the thing as i have no signed docket from them when it comes to settling the account but have had no issues to date .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I had a delivery before Christmas from a small Irish company. Delivered by the courier to a neighbour, but recorded as delivered to me. Neighour didn't have wit to think it might be an idea to tell me.

I enquired of the company when I hadn't received the delivery after a week - they were just at the point of sending me a second delivery (so getting stung for a second batch of good and delivery charges) when I met the neighbour (whom I don't know, moved in recently, and doesn't strike me as the type who'd responsibly take in packages and then pass them on) who said "oh yeah, have a parcel for you".

I'm sure the company are far from being able to afford stumping up for duplicate deliveries, and if I'd wound up with two lots of goods I'd have been on the hook for getting one of them back to the company - heavy package, other end of the country.

I get that the couriers are under pressure, and probably delivering 10x the packages these days, but just firing packages here and there isn't good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SteM

It's nothing to do with whether British people are more dishonest than Irish or not. It's a major issue in the UK because courier companies have been delivering like this for a long time. The longer it goes on here the more porch theft will become an issue in Ireland.

My brother delivers for DPD and he's had lads driving around following him looking for him dropping stuff in porches. It's been a major issue for him since June he says.

I do some home deliveries and its quite common for me to sign the delivery notes and take a photo even if someone answers the door if nobody in i ring them and they say usually leave it somewhere around the house .I suppose there could be an issue if the customer denies getting the thing as i have no signed docket from them when it comes to settling the account but have had no issues to date .

Thanks for that. I presume when it comes to it, if you can’t prove I received it then the delivery company is at fault/loss etc.

Because to be fair - a customer can’t prove a negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

To be fair its furniture stuff i deliver not tech stuff which of course would be different i do think the customer should get a phone call though because leaving stuff out in poor weather or in plain view to others is not great .No doubt some folks will deny receiving stuff but have not come across that yet had one or two issues with signed dockets over the years one advantage having the camera phone .

Advertisement