Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garage: car cover or not?

• 09-12-2020 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

what do folks think of having a car cover on a car in a garage

now - when I say a car cover, its actually an outdoor cover - Stormforce waterproof.

Any reason I shouldnt use it indoors ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I find even the breathable storm covers hold moisture in the car longer than without so I would be careful. I now use light indoor soft covers and dehumidifiers with refills from aldi in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

I use bodyshop plastic sheets. Perfectly good enough. I wouldn't use an outdoor cover that has been used outdoors unless it proper dry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I use an outdoor cover indoors during the summer months as there are swallows nesting in my shed, in the winter I leave it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭_ptashek_

RobAMerc wrote: »
    what do folks think of having a car cover on a car in a garage

now - when I say a car cover, its actually an outdoor cover - Stormforce waterproof.

Any reason I shouldnt use it indoors ?

I've used an outdoor cover in the garage for 4 years now, without any issues. Keeps the car nice and clean over winter. But my garage is climate controlled, so high humidity and the resulting mold/mildew and bad smells are a non-issue.

I wouldn't use one in an unheated, ambient air garage. Mold/mildew will quickly take hold under the cover.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 AmirPelavin01

I just bought one piece that I'm hoping is good enough for all situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Alot of problems come from the surface it's parked on. Best parking the car on a membrane if the concrete floor doesn't have a dpc. Moisture just rises up out of the concrete into whatever is above it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

Got a dehumidifier for the car today gives off heat as well as removing water .. left the car cover off ..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

noelf wrote: »
    Got a dehumidifier for the car today gives off heat as well as removing water .. left the car cover off ..

Nice tidy little unit:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

_ptashek_ wrote: »
    I've used an outdoor cover in the garage for 4 years now, without any issues. Keeps the car nice and clean over winter. But my garage is climate controlled, so high humidity and the resulting mold/mildew and bad smells are a non-issue.

I wouldn't use one in an unheated, ambient air garage. Mold/mildew will quickly take hold under the cover.

I was able to brush it off ..

• Advertisement

Dehumidifier is doing a great job despite the car hasn't been outside the shed in a month ..

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Link to where you got it, noelf?

unkel wrote: »
    Link to where you got it, noelf?

https://www.meaco-dehumidifiers.ie/meaco-dd8l-dehumidifier/

€220 .. the same one I saw in Homebase about €160 dearer ..

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Must look into that, even try to find a DC based humidifier as the car is on my drive out in the elements (no garage) and I don't really want to run a power cable into it 24/7. Need to do something though as the cheap €1.50 jobbies from Dealz don't really cut the mustard if the car is sitting for weeks / months on end without being started and heated up

Advertisement