Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,574 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Atlantic fronts really have to work on the ECM. Still in the freezer on Thursday. The milder air will still get through but it's an extra day.

ECM0-144.GIF?05-0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

The ECM keeps many in the cold up to 1pm Thursday. Definitely a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Newfoundland is in the middle of the Atlantic and has plenty of frigid days in a typical winter.

I am sure there are more islands (for ex Jan Mayen) that are in the ocean and have cold winters.

Yes, but are they influenced by the gulf stream like us? No? That's the point the user was making above.

Anyway this is very chatty for this thread.

The trends are all over the place lads, constantly extending the cold before pushing in a mild spell from run to run. Some of ye really need to cop on now, it's a headwreack to read these threads with constant bickering, insane optimism and pessimism, it seems the middle ground is growing smaller by the day.

Currently, it looks as if there may be an end to this cold snap around Thursday (+/- a day or two), however, Thursday is 6 days away and outside the confidence zone, as are all charts in this thread. We simply speculate here as to what the weather could be like based on the best of knowledge.

Take everything with a caveat.

The Atlantic fronts really have to work on the ECM. Still in the freezer on Thursday.

ECM0-144.GIF?05-0

See that
    Wide swathes of munster and Leinster and the Irish sea under -11 850's on wenesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

No.. winds move from west to east.

These are ocean currents:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Ecm looks to be a slight upgrade to me with colder uppers for wednesday across the whole island and cold hanging on slightly longer into Thursday

Still 2 days to play with re. the breakdown. It will be Sunday eve at least before we know. And we've had an ECM upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

No.. winds move from west to east.

That's why New Foundland can be colder. Anywhere on the east if a large landmass (NA, Asia) will have colder winters than similar latitudes on the west of those landmasses due to the prevailing colder air flowing eastwards off the landmass. That's why northern Japan (same latitude as Morocco and southern California) gets the most snow of all.

Jan Mayen is at 70N, 500 km east of Greenland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,574 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The mild air won't be kept out here but still I think it's worth keeping an eye on whether we see further pressure rises over Scandinavia...obviously need an undercutting low in to the continent but enough to work with here.

ECM1-144.GIF?05-0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

The Atlantic fronts really have to work on the ECM. Still in the freezer on Thursday. The milder air will still get through but it's an extra day.

ECM0-144.GIF?05-0

Good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

As I said earlier Met Eireann was saying East and North for snow risk. They'll have to change their tune pretty quick because all the snow has been stolen by Cork on latest runs hahaha
    ECM I awesome -10s across the South with heavy snow showers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

ECM has -8 uppers in by 1pm Sunday and lasting until late Thursday night early Friday morning. A nice upgrade on the cold

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

As I said earlier Met Eireann was saying East and North for snow risk. They'll have to change their tune pretty quick because all the snow has been stolen by Cork on latest runs hahaha
    ECM I awesome -10s across the South with heavy snow showers!!

Are you referring to Wednesday on or before then?

ECM has -8 uppers in by 1pm Sunday and lasting until late Thursday night early Friday morning. A nice upgrade on the cold
    -10 across quite a large area Monday to Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

-10 across quite a large area Monday to Wednesday

Yep it's colder during the week alright, I just mentioned -8 to highlight the onset and end of the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

AuntySnow wrote: »
    See that
    Wide swathes of munster and Leinster and the Irish sea under -11 850's on wenesday

And much of Ulster

sicknotexi wrote: »
    The ECM keeps many in the cold up to 1pm Thursday. Definitely a step in the right direction.

Longer!
    -10 and -11 850s in leinster Thursday!
    -12 in North leinster and Ulster

Are you referring to Wednesday on or before then?
    Monday to Wednesday we are more or less -10 uppers. When the wind swings south of East bingo heavy snow showers just like 2018. Must have either a straight East or South East though

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Chalkitdown147

Monday to Wednesday we are more or less -10 uppers. When the wind swings south of East bingo heavy snow showers just like 2018. Must have either a straight East or South East though

Is this not reaching a little?? Hands up if I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Synoptics are the best I've seen for a potential slider low bringing snow to much of the country while not having it turn to rain, but these events are rare for a reason. It's a delight to see forecasts for this potential.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

ECM showing lying snow across nearly all country Thurs 12pm to Fri midnight (it shows very little up until Thurs). I guess the reliability and depths can be taken with a pinch of salt at this stage but does show the snow potential on thurs by delaying cold which latest ECM is showing and expect Met E to be keeping an eye on this

3VNCA3F.png

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

Question for the more knowledgeable out there, a few posters have mentioned the Atlantic being fired up by the cold weather in North America yet it is the Azores high that breaks up the cold party for us, does this mean that according to current models the Atlantic isn't being fired up that much?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Very interesting change in the GFS ensembles on the 12z. Checking back on last nights pub run as well as the 6z see's what could be a fairly big shift to colder weather again into the second half of February.

The 12z shows the inbound cold spell very well, followed by a rapid warming. The 12z shows a fairly mild spell between the 14th and 18th of February. It would appear we are rapidly losing the mild runs after the 18th of February to colder runs. This is possibly the first sign of another cold outbreak setting up for the final third of February. Will we see more of these mild members turn colder over the next few days indicating a second February cold blast?

The mild section currently lasts for about 5 days, there is every possibility that the end of the incoming cold spell could be delayed by a day or two and the mild period reduced.

ens_image.php?geoid=64969&var=201&run=12&date=2021-02-05&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Interesting week coming up, could have freezing days for some and end up with temps of 10 to 12C or slightly more over the next weekend. Big squeeze on the isobars around Thurs Fri and will be interesting to see how much frontal activity is able to move in over Ireland those days and how long the cold will hang on. The cold should be in place and could be quite windy, maybe not a blizzard as such but fairly tough conditions would think if it happens like what some of the models are showing at the moment. Models differ in snow potential and where it might fall but looking like fairly widespread potential to me, could end up with a number of fronts and troughs bringing waves of snow up over Ireland, probably favoring most away from the SW with it lasting in the Northern half and NE the longest .

Gi6OTYS.png

MctP6fi.gif

77WMu88.gif

4avcSsw.png

bUtS97H.png

dIfdWeb.png

UkBB6cf.png

ECM a 4-5 day event rather than a 3-4. That'll do. That's a nice spell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Just going through some of those colder GFS runs and the models are playing around Scandi highs and even retrogression to Greenland. This is pure fantasy stuff of course being so far out but some of these bring a proper cold blast to us.

GFSP16EU12_318_1.png

GFSP01EU12_342_1.png

GFSP03EU12_342_1.png

GFSP10EU12_342_1.png

Will be interesting to see will more members fall in line with some of the above runs. Other runs bring back the Atlantic proper and others continue with very mild up from the south and some high pressure. Just about everything is on the table for the final part of February.

If the upcoming cold spell does not deliver what you want, there is a chance of another go at it later this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I would not be surprised to see more Scandi blocking show up. I believe we are vaguely reliving a repeat of 2013 thus far weather wise in a sort of weird the worlds a simulation conspiracy (:pac::p). SSW at similar time in January (5th vs 6th, split vs. displacement though), cold snap ~15-25th January which fared better in the UK due to the often battleground synoptics (weak Greenland vs Scandi blocking, again very high level comparisons here), Atlantic making a brief comeback from the 26th of January though the presence of a decent Arctic high remained with a disrupted vortex. Had an almost Easterly in 2013 between 10-13th Feb from a brief Scandi high. Looks like we'll do one better this time round, a little earlier. Beyond that attempt in 2013 a stagnant Atlantic low out west sent some WAA towards Scandi again (another nearly there scenario). That isn't too dissimilar to some of the FI output appearing at the moment.

gfs-0-192_ewt2.png

Totally just for fun. Just a vague resemblance I've been watching since January. Wouldn't say no to a March 2013.

Still no mention of snow risk along the South coast by Met Eireann this evening. Just East and North.
    Will it be a flawed forecast, I guess we just have to wait and see..But with winds southeast at times and -10 uppers there's a fair risk imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The CFS has suggested this possibility(a quite cold march) for quite a while. I did not want to ramp with that run i posted earlier, but it does suggest there could be more to come. Let see in the next few days if the scatter fades among the GFS members, that we see more trending cold. If so any springlike conditions could be shortlived!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement