Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New AV Receiver (for PS5) and center speaker

• 25-01-2021 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I am looking for a recommendation on upgrading my existing AV Receiver (Denon AVR 1911) and center speaker (Cambridge Audio SL40).

The AV Receiver needs an upgrade as I've upgraded to a 4k TV with my PS5. I also want to take full advantage of the 4k/120Hz pass through. I have seen that there have some issues with this on the latest AV Receiver. Any suggestions?

The center speaker needs to be upgraded as the SL40 is just a bit too bulky on top the mantle piece so looking for something a little bit more compact with good sound quality but not break the bank.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

You'd be looking at something like the Denon 2700 as a min. for HDMI 2.1 and VRR etc. They have similar feature models for Marantz, depending on whether you prefer their sound signature. The hard incompatibility right now for 4k@120 is between the Xbox and those new receivers, the PS5 should be fine. I just upgraded to a new 2020/HDMI 2.1 Marantz AVR and 4k@120 is mostly fine from my PC (I don't have a PS5 ot check), SDR is perfect but with HDR I am seeing some intermittent pixelation - I'm leaning more to that being my cables as PC->AVR is pushing things at 5 meters, I need to do more testing to be sure.
    For the speaker while not specifically a center these are quite slim and have decent sound for the size, I have read reports of folks using them as centers successfully - https://www.klipsch.com/products/rp-140d-on-wall-speaker?utm_source=pepperjam&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=21181&clickId=3468666115

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I would hold off as there is a problem with the hdmi 2.1 panasonic chipset bug, it's not something that can be fixed with a firmware update, maybe you don't mind if you have an older TV but might become more of an issue when you upgrade your TV

https://youtu.be/as35Cd2ZWyQ

I would hold off as there is a problem with the hdmi 2.1 panasonic chipset bug, it's not something that can be fixed with a firmware update, maybe you don't mind if you have an older TV but might become more of an issue when you upgrade your TV

https://youtu.be/as35Cd2ZWyQ

Which right now is only critical for the Xbox series X/S. PCs/PS5s are fine. Denon and Marantz have committed to a hardware fix also later in the year, too late if you do have a new Xbox already but then you can rely on plugging it directly to your TV and then eARC the sound back (which is not ideal I know but it works).

Edit: Here's Vincent's updated video - https://youtu.be/e4N95PynVh8

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Which right now is only critical for the Xbox series X/S. PCs/PS5s are fine. Denon and Marantz have committed to a hardware fix also later in the year, too late if you do have a new Xbox already but then you can rely on plugging it directly to your TV and then eARC the sound back (which is not ideal I know but it works).

Edit: Here's Vincent's updated video - https://youtu.be/e4N95PynVh8

Yes I have both Next gen consoles and wanted to upgrade my amp but think I'll hold off and see how the various manufacturers next models work around the issue. If they don't I'll just upgrade to a decent mid range amp

Probably for the best. I'm still troubleshooting my random pixelisation issue at 4k/120/HDR, it can be fine for an hour or go in 10 seconds and only when through the AVR. I've 4 HDMI 2.1 cables - 2x3m, 2x5m and have tried all possible mixes between them and it remains, but direct to TV is fine for them all. They are all the same brand though so as a last ditch effort I've ordered 2 different brand well reviewed cables but my hope is fading, I think it is a residual hardware issue even if not the previously reported full on black-screening.
    Direct to TV and eARC is ok, it is providing lossless multi-channel from the PC (set to Atmos output) but occasionally mutes with no error, it just stays silent when new content plays, even switching songs or videos in the same player. Switching my audio output back to stereo and then Atmos again fixes it, a wee but annoying though.

Ah well, when it works it's lovely ;)

• Advertisement

Just an update in case someone else comes across this searching. After trying some different and definitely certified HDMI 2.1 cables I still had the problem (crazy pixelisation/color bit crushing at random). It turned out to be GSync (Nvidia variable refresh rate tech similar enough to VRR/Freesync2), with that off the system has been stable at 4k/120/HDR through the AVR. Afaik the PS5 has VRR disabled for the moment probably for this or similar reasons.
    Another option if you're in the same boat but don't want to give up GSync is to run a 2nd HDMI from the PC to the AVR, Windows will see 2 different displays and you can use one (the TV direct) for video and the other (to the AVR) as your audio out (so not relying on eARC and getting full ATMOS/DTS lossless etc.). Since it thinks there are 2 displays your mouse will disappear off the edge if you move it too far but it's a very/infrequent minor problem. I did try just mirroring the screen on both displays but it wouldn't handle HDR properly.

Anyway, thread semi-hijack over, again just didn't want a future search to be a dead end.

Advertisement