Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top young opensides in Ireland

• 05-02-2021 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

Top young opensides in Ireland, 23 and under:

1. Scott Penny(21/Leinster)
    2. John Hodnett(22/Munster)
    3. Marcus Rea(23/Ulster)
    4. Martin Moloney(21/Leinster)
    5. Sean O'Brien(20/Leinster)

Penny and Hodnett are both dealing with serious injuries but are already proven at pro 14 level, while Rea has looked good in limited opportunities for Ulster. Moloney can't stay healthy and O'Brien has looked flashed a lot of potential in limited game time this season for Leinster A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,270 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

bayern wrote: »
    Top young opensides in Ireland, 23 and under:

1. Scott Penny(21/Leinster)
    2. John Hodnett(22/Munster)
    3. Marcus Rea(23/Ulster)
    4. Martin Moloney(21/Leinster)
    5. Sean O'Brien(20/Leinster)

Penny and Hodnett are both dealing with serious injuries but are already proven at pro 14 level, while Rea has looked good in limited opportunities for Ulster. Moloney can't stay healthy and O'Brien has looked flashed a lot of potential in limited game time this season for Leinster A.

Not sure why Marcus hasn't appeared for us more, especially with Reidy injured. But I think he was maybe more of an eight, and is being remoulded into a seven. Am hoping that's why it's taking him a while to break through. Otherwise, I'd be concerned there's something McFarland wants him to develop that he hasn't got in his arsenal yet. A run of games would be great towards the end of the season.

He's a distance off the first two, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Mad to see how much further Penny is in his development than the others given they're from similar age grades. He really is a prodigious talent. I hope his size doesn't work against him too much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Penny has had double shoulder surgery and now a neck injury.. hopefully he isn't being pushed too quickly physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Mad to see how much further Penny is in his development than the others given they're from similar age grades. He really is a prodigious talent. I hope his size doesn't work against him too much

He’s hard as nails, I wouldn’t worry about him physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

UAEguy2020 wrote: »

No doubt about his toughness. I've often compared him to Hooper as they're the same size. But Hooper would have been an exception at international level in recent years.

I wonder will international opportunities come by for Scott.

• Advertisement

UAEguy2020 wrote: »

not a question of toughness, but rather his body holding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

I was very disappointed in Penney and the Leinster backrow versus Connacht.

I felt Masterson squared and Oliver were much stronger than Baird Leavy and Penney which was a big surprise based on the expectation around the Leinster three.

One off game with lots of other things going on but was suprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Penny does look like a future international. Really impressive skillset. His size may be an issue. He may move in order to get more game time.
    Hodnett also looks fantastic. Really impressive as a u'20.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Penny does look like a future international. Really impressive skillset. His size may be an issue. He may move in order to get more game time.
    Hodnett also looks fantastic. Really impressive as a u'20.

player who has 20 senior caps for his province at 21, will have to move province for more game time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,603 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

bayern wrote: »
    player who has 20 senior caps for his province at 21, will have to move province for more game time. :rolleyes:

Tbf that could well happen. Openside flanker is probably Leinsters greatest position in terms of strength in depth. Penney is fourth choice behind three different test capped players. They're all in their 20's too. Still have plenty of years ahead of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement