Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman crosses dual carriageway on foot, gets hit by car, gets €3.2M

Options
  • 05-02-2021 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭
    M

Another case of idiots getting their pockets lined by crazy compensation, is there anything to be said for a swift kick up the hole instead...
    A part-time model who suffered a traumatic brain injury after she was struck by a car when she attempted to cross a dual carriageway has settled her High Court action for €3.2m.

Jodie Regazzoli was in a coma for weeks and given a three percent chance of survival after she was hit by the car in 2018 — and later became homeless for a time and lived in a hotel.

The claims were denied and it was alleged that Mr Regazzoli failed to use the pedestrian flyover to cross the carriageway
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/part-time-model-settles-court-action-for-32m-after-being-struck-by-car-on-dual-carriageway-40052486.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭yaknowski

Cue a load of diving in front of cars as per Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'd just became very distressed reading that ...i'm suing you OP

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

fryup wrote: »
    i'd just became very distressed reading that ...i'm suing you OP

OMG I cant believe your suing the OP, you have me traumatised now. Im going to sue you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Be as stupid as you want, then sue someone and get rich, sounds like a plan

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Another victory for stupid.

Next time you renew your insurance and the premium has gone up, you'll know why.

• Advertisement

"He said the settlement was fair and reasonable and he wished her well for the future."

€3.2m is fair and reasonable for being hit walking across a place you shouldn't ever be?

I shudder to think what he'd consider generous to be.

ah sure it'll help to pay for the mascara and fake tan

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Teenager who wouldn't stop singing Fields of Athenry to police told to learn whole song and fined £610 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I live in Swords. The Dual Carraigeway and methods of crossing it is a total shltshow. Cars use it as a racetrack and it's mental attempting to cycle alongside it. Not surprised the accident happened, but the driver was local and must have known people cross in front of the bus.

Apart from that, she seems to be OK, €3.2m is excessive. I also think her 'homeless' situation needs to be looked at properly, and I doubt she would have made millions from her modelling. It's not a reason to get €3.2m or even a substantial part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

excessive yes but lads there could have been witnesseses and cctv, who knows what the driver was doing or how reckless she was being they give these settlements so someone will have to appeal it, the gravy train continues no wonder insurance companies settle so many cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Imagine what the driver who hit her is going through right now. To have something like that hanging over your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Surely the point is that where the bus stop was, it was common practice for people who worked in the shopping center to get off the bus and walk across the road.

A footbridge down the road was not generally used...

Therefore, there is a fundamental design flaw there in the road design. The busstop was not in the correct place. What should happen there, is the bus should pull in at the base of the footbridge, so it is a natural place to walk from. Fault is with the design.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Liberalbrehon

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Imagine what the driver who hit her is going through right now. To have something like that hanging over your head.

If I was the driver, I would sue the model for distress, etc

And to add, I see this all over the place in irish roads. There is a place near me where 3 people have been killed crossing the road. It's actually a signalled pedestrian crossing, but it's position near a junction means that cars coming around a corner from one direction can't actually see the pedestrian lights. They drive straight through the red lights, all the time.

That's bad design.

There's multiple places where those raised bumps, with a slope down to the road on footpaths indicating a place to cross (it's like braille on the ground, probably not explaining that right!). but they are in no way safe places to cross...

She wasn't crossing an autobahn, it a dual carriageway with a low speed limit, the driver was presumably going too fast and not watching what they were doing.

Riddle101 wrote: »

nothing is hanging over anyone's head in this

Old judge Kevin Cross does seem to be very loose with these settlements in his old age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

There are some fundamental tenets that we all follow in life e.g. not walking off a cliff or walking across an active dual carriageway. It is astounding that some people are trying to justify her actions. And therein lies a major part on why we pay among the highest rates of insurance in Europe. Massive financial awards (rewards?) for even minor injuries forces the rest of us to pay for these insane judgements. Of course, the higher the awards that are "agreed" upon in the courts, the more money that the judge's colleagues in Irish legal firms lap up.

Kivaro wrote: »
    There are some fundamental tenets that we all follow in life e.g. not walking off a cliff or walking across an active dual carriageway. It is astounding that some people are trying to justify her actions. And therein lies a major part on why we pay among the highest rates of insurance in Europe. Massive financial awards (rewards?) for even minor injuries forces the rest of us to pay for these insane judgements. Of course, the higher the awards that are "agreed" upon in the courts, the more money that the judge's colleagues in Irish legal firms lap up.

can firms charge on a percentage of the winnings?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

As ridiculous as suing your neighbour because you stuck your hand in their fire and got burnt.

Kivaro wrote: »
    There are some fundamental tenets that we all follow in life e.g. not walking off a cliff or walking across an active dual carriageway..................

I went to school near an active dual carraigeway that was next to a shopping centre.............. it has been walked across by plenty people for decades, loads of folk cross a hundred metres or so away from the pedestrian crossing.
    Comparing walking off a cliff to crossing a road is absolutely fnkcing retarded.
    Folk seem to consider all dual carriageways to be 100kph zones, they aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

can firms charge on a percentage of the winnings?
    What happens in these cases is that higher awards corelates "coincidentally" with higher legal firm costs and expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

The worst thing about this is that its a settlement. The judge didn't award this amount of money, the two teams of lawyers decided it.

The defence must've been terrified what the judge was going to award if this was what they settled for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

pwurple wrote: »
    Surely the point is that where the bus stop was, it was common practice for people who worked in the shopping center to get off the bus and walk across the road.

A footbridge down the road was not generally used...

Therefore, there is a fundamental design flaw there in the road design. The busstop was not in the correct place. What should happen there, is the bus should pull in at the base of the footbridge, so it is a natural place to walk from. Fault is with the design.

The footbridge was there before the shopping centre was

Old judge Kevin Cross does seem to be very loose with these settlements in his old age

maybe he was driving the car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Augeo wrote: »
    I went to school near an active dual carraigeway that was next to a shopping centre.............. it has been walked across by plenty people for decades, loads of folk cross a hundred metres or so away from the pedestrian crossing.
    Comparing walking off a cliff to crossing a road is absolutely fnkcing retarded.
    Folk seem to consider all dual carriageways to be 100kph zones, they aren't.

That doesn't mean the people crossing it were right or it was a sensible thing to do though, traffic is heavier now than years gone past, I'll even say many drivers are careless, but you dont add to that by walking across a dual carriageway and if you do, you do so at your own risk.
    It would be downright dangerous to slam on the brakes on a dual carriageway, Id actually be afraid of getting ploughed into myself, added to that, with ohter traffic, its possible a pedestrian could come out of nowhere from the drivers perspective and there simply might not be time to react let alone stop.

If this has been a situation where they were walking across a pedestrian crossing on a dual carriageway and they were hit, Id think they were right to get a settlement/payout, but it should depend on their injuries, it doesnt actually say what they are?
    It says her life was turned upside down, but other than that?
    As for her being homeless? are they saying she doesnt have family in Swords, in her condition whatever it was, they couldnt make some arrangement to let her stay at her family home?? She wasnt on the streets, so how is it relevant, she was living in a Hotel.

This is lunacy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Too lazy to use the footbridge. I see it all the time, people crossing the road forcing traffic to stop while there is a pedestrian crossing a few feet away.me me me me me.

The footbridge was there before the shopping centre was

So it wasn't connected to the shopping center as integrated design? Makes even more sense that it wasn't used.

Headline should read "shop assistant who was brain damaged on her way to work, using infrastructure the council designed, awarded damages."

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

That stretch of road is 80km/h. People are regularly crossing over the road rather than using the foot bridge. All the council have to do is block the median with a fence of some sort. Surprised Fingal Co Co weren't name in the litigation.

I cycle that road as well and I've had far more close calls with pedestrians wandering across and down that road.
    Augeo wrote: »
    She wasn't crossing an autobahn, it a dual carriageway with a low speed limit, the driver was presumably going too fast and not watching what they were doing.

feelings wrote: »
    That stretch of road is 80km/h. People are regularly crossing over the road rather than using the foot bridge. All the council have to do is block the median with a fence of some sort. Surprised Fingal Co Co weren't name in the litigation.

On what basis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I know the area well. Instead of walking to the footbridge and coming out at the main entrance to pavilions, she crossed the dual carriageway to go in one of the closer side entrances. I think the speed limit along there is 80kph but traffic is usually much slower as it's coming up to a busy roundabout (where the main entrance/footbridge is).

Hard to know what happened as none of us were there but the payout is shocking. I've often seen pedestrians dash out from the gap in hedges along the median and across the road there and it's unfortunately not surprising that there's been an accident.

Advertisement