Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric Ireland home charger deal

Options
  • 02-02-2021 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hey

I'm buying a brand new Leaf in two weeks, yey, and it comes with an EO home charger deal with Electric Ireland. The deal is two years with Electric Ireland - we're okay with that still with them - and you get the charger and installation for €600 same as the grant. You can upgrade to the EO smart charger for €200.

Is that a good deal?

Anyone have this charger? Is it worth the upgrade to the smart charger?

My wife doesn't like the look of the black, so we'd hopefully get a white one but it has an ugly black cap on it and it will be fixed to the white wall.

Getting some sort of the lockable case around it might be better, do people do that? Are their nice ones around?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Hey

My wife doesn't like the look of the black, so we'd hopefully get a white one but it has an ugly black cap on it and it will be fixed to the white wall.

Getting some sort of the lockable case around it might be better, do people do that? Are their nice ones around?

Paint it? Its only plastic.

Dont worry about trying to get a lockable case, nobody is going to steal your electricity, another thing to faff with when going to charge your car. - you can turn the breaker off if you really want to be sure.

Do they give an option of a tethered one or are they all untethered?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭zg3409

The Nissan leaf has loads of offers at the moment as there is lots of competition from similar cars from other brands with possibly better cars.

You should try install at side of house. Most installers fit at side of house with an outdoor isolation switch that's bigger than the charger and it does look unsightly.

As to whether to upgrade to a different charger, probably not worth it. Tethered cable chargers are handier and cable less likely to be stolen. Cable sitting there 24/7 can also look unsightly.

App is just a gimmick, particularly if car has an app.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Hey

I'm buying a brand new Leaf in two weeks, yey, and it comes with an EO home charger deal with Electric Ireland. The deal is two years with Electric Ireland - we're okay with that still with them - and you get the charger and installation for €600 same as the grant. You can upgrade to the EO smart charger for €200.

Is that a good deal?

Anyone have this charger? Is it worth the upgrade to the smart charger?

Thanks.

I've got the older version of the EO mini, never given trouble, it's a grand charger and the untethered version is quite neat

Don't bother with a lockable case. I was thinking the same thing when I got mine installed and it's basically not worth it. No one is going to try and steal your electricity, they'd need to sit at the charger for hours and they'd save all of €5. Risk versus reward doesn't work out in that case

I've heard of exactly one time someone used a home charger without permission, basically that person was very low on battery and grabbed a 30 mins charge to get to a nearby fast charger.

The owner of the house wouldn't have known except the person left a note explaining the situation and even left some cash to pay for the electricity they'd used

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

zg3409 wrote: »

Edit: zg- are you talking about the car app or charger app? I'm talking about the leaf app

A different view on this, we've the last generation leaf and because I work a two day, two night shift plus sharing the car we can't use the on board timer for pre heating easily. Next Monday morning I'll need to start pre heat before coming home at six in the morning and I'll pre heat the car for my wife at eight. Only my wife will use the car Tuesday so it doesn't need the six o clock pre heat.

The pre heats can be scheduled through the app with a few clicks from my bed or half way through the night shift. If you forget to change the timer in the car you have to go out.

And most importantly OP, congratulations and enjoy the new purchase. This forum is a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭zg3409

Edit: zg- are you talking about the car app or charger app? I'm talking about the leaf app

Apps for chargers. They do allow you to start a charge anywhere in the world if you car has no app, but if your car has an app, then they don't do much to justify the extra cost.

Remote pre heating using an app for car is ideal if heading home after work when a timer might not be set to correct leaving time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Pablo-El-Vagabu

Thanks everyone for getting back. Sorry I abandoned the thread its been a bit mental the last few days. And my head is officially melted with the chargers.

So from looking into the SEAI grant, I have to apply for it before we get someone out for quotes or to do the work anyway. We can't apply until we purchase the car I think, because you need an application id from the dealer - I'm going to ring him tomorrow to clarify that, maybe he'll get that id for us.

So we could have the car for a few weeks before we get a home charger which is a headache. There's a fast charger in Clondakin I seen, that's pretty close to me.And we can use the granny charger through an open front window I suppose until its sorted.
    graememk wrote: »
    Paint it? Its only plastic.

Dont worry about trying to get a lockable case, nobody is going to steal your electricity, another thing to faff with when going to charge your car. - you can turn the breaker off if you really want to be sure.

Do they give an option of a tethered one or are they all untethered?

lol fair enough yeah my brother was saying the same thing. It looked like its untethered, but I'm calling Electric Ireland tomorrow to clarify. Its called an EO Mini I think.
    The Nissan leaf has loads of offers at the moment as there is lots of competition from similar cars from other brands with possibly better cars.

You should try install at side of house. Most installers fit at side of house with an outdoor isolation switch that's bigger than the charger and it does look unsightly.

As to whether to upgrade to a different charger, probably not worth it. Tethered cable chargers are handier and cable less likely to be stolen. Cable sitting there 24/7 can also look unsightly.

Ah we're a terraced house so it will be pretty visible unfortunately. I was thinking about getting a carpenter to build a box around it and paint it though.

After some thinking and taking I think we're happy to ditch the smart charger.
    I've got the older version of the EO mini, never given trouble, it's a grand charger and the untethered version is quite neat

Don't bother with a lockable case. I was thinking the same thing when I got mine installed and it's basically not worth it. No one is going to try and steal your electricity, they'd need to sit at the charger for hours and they'd save all of €5. Risk versus reward doesn't work out in that case

I've heard of exactly one time someone used a home charger without permission, basically that person was very low on battery and grabbed a 30 mins charge to get to a nearby fast charger.

The owner of the house wouldn't have known except the person left a note explaining the situation and even left some cash to pay for the electricity they'd used

Thanks. Yeah we've come around to that thinking. Its goo to know the EO has a tethered version though we might be leaning that way.

A different view on this, we've the last generation leaf and because I work a two day, two night shift plus sharing the car we can't use the on board timer for pre heating easily. Next Monday morning I'll need to start pre heat before coming home at six in the morning and I'll pre heat the car for my wife at eight. Only my wife will use the car Tuesday so it doesn't need the six o clock pre heat.

The pre heats can be scheduled through the app with a few clicks from my bed or half way through the night shift. If you forget to change the timer in the car you have to go out.

And most importantly OP, congratulations and enjoy the new purchase. This forum is a great help.

Sounds like a great system.

Thanks. We're a bit stressed as we've never had a brand new car before and the extra stuff with the electric and chargers and grants has us a bit flumuxed. But I'm looking for ward to driving it around a bit and enjoying a podcast through the infotainment. :)
    Apps for chargers. They do allow you to start a charge anywhere in the world if you car has no app, but if your car has an app, then they don't do much to justify the extra cost.

Remote pre heating using an app for car is ideal if heading home after work when a timer might not be set to correct leaving time.

Yeah we've ditched the smart charger idea. Seemed useful bit probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You can apply before buying the car, you'll need to include the registration cert with your application for payment from the SEAI later, so obviously you'll need the car then to actually get the €600

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement