Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating a home gym in a spare bedroom

Options
  • 28-01-2021 8:33am

Hello everyone

I've come to ask for some pointers on how I can create a home gym in one of my spare bedrooms.

The room itself is fairly a standard upstairs Irish bedroom. The floor is not concrete (this is probably important for weight considerations).

The room is 2.45m wide x 3.8m long. In reality I have about 7sq m of usable space to allocate to the gym. I have around 6,000 euro to spend on this (it's a limit, not a target).

Bodybuilding is not my goal. I'm a 42 year old male and have mild osteoporosis. My goal is to do some basic strength training and daily cardio. My wife is also 42 and would be interested in using the room for cardio, weights but also things like zumba from time to time.

We want:
    • An excellent treadmill that is pretty wide and sturdy, with incline settings Something that will last. I prefer to walk fast or jog slowly on it, rather than sprint.
    • A good set of dumbbells ranging from 2kg to 24kg (not adjustable). I also want a rack to store them on. I'm guessing they should be rubber to avoid damaging the floor.
    • A bench for dumbbell exercises.
    • A bar for pull-ups, this could be a door-hanging one, free-standing one, or one fixed to the stud wall.
    • Some type of high-grade rubber mat to cushion the floor and dampen any noise that might result from exercise.
    • A mirror wall.

Open questions:
    1. Do I need a 20kg barbell / discs? (brand recommendations are welcome)
    2. Do I need a bench press / squat rack with pull up bar? (brand recommendations are welcome)
    3. I am reluctant to buy a machine that would be used for lat pull-downs and leg press, not because I don't want one, but because I am worried about maintaining it and having adequate space. I have often seen these machines out of order in a gym setting. If this happens in a home gym I expect it would be a pain to get it fixed. But if anyone could propose a good piece of kit, I'd be interested.
    4. I'd have a slight concern about the weight of all this equipment in one bedroom with a non-concrete floor. Based on your experiences, is this something to worry about?

I would love some tips about how to get the most out of the space I have.
    Note: I am aware that I could save space by, for example, using a skipping rope instead of a machine for cardio, or by using adjustable dumbbells instead of buying a set. But I want a set of dumbbells and a treadmill, not a skipping rope and adjustable dumbbells.

I'd also appreciate some recommended products for the dumbbell set, dumbbell rack, bench, floor mats, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Weight of equipment would not be a problem over a floor span. Putting 5 or 6 people in a room would weigh as much as your equipment.

One thing I'd question is why are you getting a treadmill instead of going outside for a run or walk.

The weights end of things, yeah go for it, I'm thinking of doing something similar in a spare bedroom myself, but I'd always choose the great outdoors for cardio.

Prices of fitness equipment are extremely high at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Not a helpful post probably but the outside is your treadmill! Walk and run around the neighbourhood. Save you loads of space!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

10KG set of Dumbbells and a bench is all you need for basic strength training.

This is the workout plan I use - https://dumbbell-exercises.com/best-dumbbell-exercises/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Just as an aside. I have a treadmill in my home office for the (often) days it is hammering rain. Plus I can often attend meetings from the treadmill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Did anyone actually read the OPs post?

He's specifically said the range of DBs he wants.
    He's also specifically described the type of treadmill he wants yet still posters on here refuse point blank to take onboard what the OP said and try push on him what they would like instead.

• Advertisement

FHFM50 wrote: »

This is the workout plan I use - https://dumbbell-exercises.com/best-dumbbell-exercises/

Go out walking/running for the cardio.

And your set of circumstances are the exact same as the OPs are they?

Esse85 wrote: »
    Did anyone actually read the OPs post?

He's specifically said the range of DBs he wants.
    He's also specifically described the type of treadmill he wants yet still posters on here refuse point blank to take onboard what the OP said and try push on him what they would like instead.

Thanks, yes I definitely want a treadmill for a consistent uphill workout, regardless of weather and without having to worry about other environmental factors.

Esse85 wrote: »
    And your set of circumstances are the exact same as the OPs are they?

I do exercises for strength training just as the OP plans to and I also have some minor back trouble. Not the same as Osteoporosis I know, but I do have to be careful. In my case I find 10-12 KG dumbbells enough and was only offering some advice to the OP from my experience.

I've removed my part of the post on Cardio as I never really do any of that and so I shouldn't have commented on it. The same with Pull up bars and Barbells, I have no idea as I've never used them .

I do find having a skipping rope around handy just for warming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Check out pull up monster. I got a pull up bar and some heavy dumbbells made from steel recently. They're heavy duty and don't look the prettiest but they're effective. The bar is free standing and can be amended for Dips and inverted rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

Sounds like a great plan!

I don't think there will be any issues with any of the equipment being upstairs and being used but someone on the treadmill in an upstairs bedroom is likely to make life unpleasant for anyone in the rest of the house. It will depend on your house but if you stand downstairs and ask your OH to jump up and down a couple of times you'll get an idea. Do you have anywhere else you could use the treadmill - preferably downstairs? You can get ones which fold, still take up a decent bit of room but not as much as you think. We have one, old at this stage, but it's very useful when it's freezing outside.

Squat rack with an adjustable bench which fits underneath it and a range of weights. Like you mention, I would avoid those multi-gym machines but not for maintenance reasons, they tend to accommodate a lot of exercises poorly and don't always have a good range of body shapes and sizes. If you do go for a full squat rack you will likely end up going with olympic bar and weights which are large and pricey. You might feel these overkill for your needs but if your sure this is something your going to end up using and not just a "get fit" fad, you'll probably end up goign that way eventually in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

get a few resistance bands, would be ideal for you.

Not sure what kind of house you have OP, hope it's detached!!
    It can be extremely noisy in an ordinary house, I lived in a semi once & the neighbour had a treadmill & rowing machines in an upstairs bedroom, it was unbelievable the noise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Hi OP-

I won't comment on the treadmill as this is not something I am knowledgeable about, but here are a few thoughts on the rest of it.
    [*]A good set of dumbbells ranging from 2kg to 24kg (not adjustable). I also want a rack to store them on. I'm guessing they should be rubber to avoid damaging the floor.

You have a few options here but hex dumbbells are your industry standard. Hex dumbbells are all manufactured in China and are pretty much the same in terms of quality from seller to seller. There are some who claim to use higher quality parts, and there are cheaper versions without 'anatomical handles' but basically if you buy hex dumbbells from different vendors they'll match most likely. Due to shortages at the moment you might end up having to do this.

At the moment main Irish vendors like MC Sport, Fitness Equipment Ireland and others are out of stock or on pre-order, your best bet is going to be to set email alerts or contact vendors directly indicating you are looking to order a full set. If you're going from 2kg to 24kg it might interest them as that's a substantial order.

You're going to need a dumbbell rack for those.

I have this from Blk Box to store my hex dumbbells. The clearance from the floor of the bottom shelf is high enough that you can also store kettlebells and other things underneath.

https://www.blkboxfitness.com/products/blk-box-2-tier-storage-rack

The above is made by Blk Box in Belfast and like all their equipment it's a bit nicer than the imported storage options you can find on the likes of MC Sport. But it's a little more expensive.

I think because they're still on the island of Ireland they are an option to order from. At the moment there seems to be major problems getting deliveries from mainland UK companies like Strength Shop. They would have been a great option before Christmas, but unfortunately right now I would have to say steer clear until things settle down.
    [*]A bench for dumbbell exercises.

Well, you could spend less and get a basic flat bench, but because of what you're after, and your budget, you should definitely opt for an adjustable bench that will let you do incline work with your dumbbells.

Something like this is quickly adjustable. Steer clear of anything requiring you to pull knobs out to adjust the position.

https://www.mcsport.ie/products/hit-fitness-sb57-semi-commercial-bench-hit00182?variant=31806488182863&_sgm_campaign=scn_949a8a50d4000&_sgm_source=4481012727887&_sgm_action=click
    [*]A bar for pull-ups, this could be a door-hanging one or one fixed to the stud wall.

For most people a doorframe pullup bar is the best affordable option, and they are adequate.

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/strength-training-pull-up-bar-500-en-s142047.html

Note this is one that braces off the doorway as a whole, it's not one of the extendable bars that fit within the actual doorway itself.

If you want an attachment that you actually drill into the wall they are easily available but IMO I would either get the doorframe pullup bar above or go the whole hog and get a squat stand with a pull-up bar attachment, mentioned further on.
    [*]Some type of high-grade rubber mat to cushion the floor and dampen any noise that my result from exercise.

I bought 1m square 43mm rubber tiles from Strength Shop UK, and cut them to fit. I was very happy with how they turned out, but unfortunately you're not going to be able to avail of Strength Shop unless you really get them to confirm they are happy to ship to Ireland at the moment. And work out what you think you could get hit for in terms of VAT and charges.

A lot of other tile options will be thinner than 43mm, but they might suit your purposes as you aren't going to be dropping more than 24kg, and hopefully not even that, really.

Blk Box does various options, they have these in stock. I would have a google around.
    https://www.blkboxfitness.com/products/blk-box-anti-slip-tile-1mx1mx15mm
    [*]Do I need a 20kg barbell / discs? (brand recommendations are welcome)[*]Do I need a bench press / squat rack with pull up bar? (brand recommendations are welcome)

Your dumbbells and the storage for them will take up a significant amount of space, and they're not going to be cheap.

They will, in theory, allow you to train very comprehensively, especially with the pull-up bar and the adjustable bench.

However...

Personally yes I do think that strength training with a barbell is the gold standard. It would not necessarily be any more expensive for you to get a good quality barbell, 100kg worth of plates, set of squat stands and your adjustable bench.

If your ceiling height permitted it you have the option of something like this, which is a common design incorporating a pull-up bar attachment at the top.

https://www.blkboxfitness.com/products/blk-box-utility-quarter-rack

If you look on Blk Box's site they also have a "fold away" rack that might be of interest to you.

Their Belfast barbell is a good quality imported bar:-
    https://www.blkboxfitness.com/products/blk-box-belfast-bar-7ft-20kg-olympic-

Another option: https://www.mcsport.ie/collections/all/products/mens-ultimate-bar-8-needle-bearing-hardened-chrome?_sgm_campaign=scn_949a8a50d4000&_sgm_source=4833526284367&_sgm_action=click

There are cheaper barbells out there, but because of your budget I think would be worth investing a little more to get something that is more nicely finished and which has high quality sleeve construction.

Overall though, based on your goals I would not commit to the space involved in a rack, bar and plates unless you really think you want to go that route. They will take up a lot of space, and you'll need a storage solution for the plates (and maybe the bar too). I would say in your case it is either those or it is the dumbbells.
    [*]I am reluctant to buy a machine that would be used for lat pull-downs and leg press, not because I don't want one, but because I am worried about maintaining it and having adequate space. I have often seen these machines out of order in a gym setting. If this happens in a home gym I expect it would be a pain to get it fixed. But if anyone could propose a good piece of kit, I'd be interested.

I wouldn't bother.

In lieu of the lat pull-downs you have the option of throwing a resistance band over the pull-up bar and doing banded pull-downs and similar. Or do higher rep band-assisted pull-ups.

For leg press, leg curl and so on it is a little trickier but basically substitute a higher rep dumbbell squat, goblet squat, Romanian deadlift and similar. You can also try things like single leg hip bridges etc. With the dumbbells lunge variations and split squats are also going to be a staple for you.

Those machines I would typically associate more with someone who did want to do bodybuilding / hypertrophy work. For your purposes probably not necessary.
    [*]I'd have a slight concern about the weight of all this equipment in one bedroom with a non-concrete floor. Based on your experiences, is this something to worry about?

No.
    I would love some tips about how to get the most out of the space I have.

I have fitted out a couple of gyms in small spaces. One at my work, and one in my shed.

I completely accept that you are set on the treadmill and if you guys will use it I wouldn't second guess that, but if you want another piece of cardio kit that is a tiny bit more space friendly, you could look at an air assault bike or a C2 rower.

For cardio or HIT type training in a small space my main observation would be that it's not so much the equipment you have, but the training protocol you use.

If do a dumbbell complex for several rounds you don't have to move around much, but you'll certainly get your heart rate up.

If you have the pull-up bar another option is simple metabolic conditioning workouts where you set a time limit and try to complete as many rounds as you can of a couple of simple exercises. For example, 5 pull-ups, 10 pushups, 15 air squats, AMPRAP 15 minutes (Yes, that's a CrossFit workout, but it's still a good workout :pac:).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

would you consider or have space for a gym out back? https://www.logcabins4less.ie/cabins/summer-houses

Alkers wrote: »
    Sounds like a great plan!

I don't think there will be any issues with any of the equipment being upstairs and being used but someone on the treadmill in an upstairs bedroom is likely to make life unpleasant for anyone in the rest of the house. It will depend on your house but if you stand downstairs and ask your OH to jump up and down a couple of times you'll get an idea.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    Not sure what kind of house you have OP, hope it's detached!!
    It can be extremely noisy in an ordinary house, I lived in a semi once & the neighbour had a treadmill & rowing machines in an upstairs bedroom, it was unbelievable the noise.

Thanks for this input. My house is detached. Are there any alternaive cardio machines which would not make as much noise? Unfortunately a stationary bicycle isn't an option as I find my man bits get numb(!!) from using them.
    ted1 wrote: »
    would you consider or have space for a gym out back? https://www.logcabins4less.ie/cabins/summer-houses

Alas, no. It has to be the spare bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭liamtech

For comparison, i was in roughly the same situation as OP. Aside from the cardio, which i do walking, running, and hiking, i wanted to do weight training as i would have been doing in the gym: Using back of my ground floor Apartment for this purpose so heres what i did, along with price range
    • Weight Plates- I realize you dont need as much as bodybuilding isnt your goal, but i bought a Plate Storage rack in the UK for about 40euro (prebrexit) - The weight plates i purchased on Adverts and some from EBAY. Price varied from maybe €3 to €6 per KG - standard Plates only 25mm - olympic bars, plates and Dumbbells were prohibitively expensive
    • Dumbbells and Bars- Again all standard size 25mm - managed a full size, an EZ Curl, 2 sets of dumbbells (for doing drop sets) and a Tricep Bar - reasonable enough, and i can provide links of a UK supplier i used
    • Heavy Duty Bench - I went through 3 benches before settling on this - The difficulty is that im a large and Tall guy, so bench 1 was not long enough. Certain exercises my head would be hanging off the back - just not fit for purpose - settled on my current heavy duty bench - which covers all angles for shoulder, incline, lower incline, flat and decline presses - also a Preacher attachment which i have made extensive use of - bench and Preacher was about 300 - bare in mind depending on your height their are lower priced variants around
    • Lat Pull down Plate loaded rig - The walls and door frames in my apartment are not suited to pull up bars - i made that decision early last april, when trying to decide what to get - this Plate loader is the best i could get and it hasnt dissapointed. It has both Horizontal and Vertical pullys on it so doing pull downs, tricep cable work, rows, and bicep work is excellent - obtained a variety of grips for it so i can vary everything im doing - rig was 250euro, and can take up to 120KG of my plates - attachments include long bar, short bar, hammer grips, single hand, and ankle (for glutes, thighs, etc) - grips were cheap enough if you shop around
    • Leg Extension attachment - when i mentioned i went through 3 benchs i wasnt kidding! This bench was supposed to serve all purposes but like i mentioned before it is not long enough for my height - i keep it now for the leg extension attachment, which is decent - also the back Polls/half-rack, detaches and is freestanding so i can slip my bench between it for benching

All in a probably spent maybe 1500 odd euro - i think for what i payed i am content. The way i see it, i am lifting/gyming at home for the rest of this year, and it already has 8 months of use so - im content

For yourself, i would say get some plates, and a few dumbbells, a cheap enough bench depending on your height (cant emphasize this enough, the shorter benches were uncomfortable in a real way - i wasnt content to continue use given what i was lifting)

Happy to discuss - we obviously have different goals, but i think there is overlap - pictures below
    EDIT

Removed pics they seem to be non functional at present - will try to upload later

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

This belongs in the “worst fitness advice you’ve ever been given” thread

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    This belongs in the “worst fitness advice you’ve ever been given” thread

Why is it bad advice?

The OP said his goal is basic strength training. He also says he has osteoporosis so 10-12KG dumbbells are enough.

He also asked for tips so I linked a website I found useful for making a workout plan.

I don't use Barbells, Pull up bars, Machines, etc so I didn't comment on that.

Why is it bad advice?

The OP said his goal is basic strength training. He also says he has osteoporosis so 10-12KG dumbbells are enough.

He also asked for tips so I linked a website I found useful for making a workout plan.

I don't use Barbells, Pull up bars, Machines, etc so I didn't comment on that.

You’ve no idea how strong the op is. You said all they need are 10kg dumbbells etc. 10kg dumbbells might feel like feathers to the op. Plus, even if they started at 10kg, with most strength building exercises and not bodybuild like the op said, they would quickly outgrow them.
    For all we know the op could be a 40kg girl or Paul o Connell.

You’ve no idea how strong the op is. You said all they need are 10kg dumbbells etc. 10kg dumbbells might feel like feathers to the op. Plus, even if they started at 10kg, with most strength building exercises and not bodybuild like the op said, they would quickly outgrow them.

The interval he said for the dumbbells is 2KG - 24KG. If 10's felt like feathers he wouldn't have started the interval with 2.

I put down 10KG as a starting point, which just happens to be what I use. Of course he can use heavier ones as he progresses further or depending on how bad his osteoporosis is.

• Advertisement

The interval he said for the dumbbells is 2KG - 24KG. If 10's felt like feathers he wouldn't have started the interval with 2.

I put down 10KG as a starting point, which just happens to be what I use. Of course he can use heavier ones as he progresses further or depending on how bad his osteoporosis is.

No you said all they need was 10kg dumbells.
    One size doesn’t fit all

• Registered Users Posts: 24,571 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The thing is the OP wants a range for doing different exercises. 10kg might be too heavy for some movements and too light for others so he wants a range of weights to allow for the appropriate weight for a range of exercises.

Its not that he wants to start using 2kg (for everything?) And work up to 24kg as he gets stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Or a 40kg girl called Paul O Connell, there's numerous possibilities.

Or a 40kg girl called Paul O Connell, there's numerous possibilities.

Paula

No you said all they need was 10kg dumbells.
    One size doesn’t fit all

Fair enough, I wasn't thinking straight

As an aside does anyone here use a weight vest? I don't have the room for a barbell or bench so I thought I could build my chest by doing push ups with a weighted vest. Was hoping it would also work my core.

Argos have one in stock near me €70.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

As an aside does anyone here use a weight vest? I don't have the room for a barbell or bench so I thought I could build my chest by doing push ups with a weighted vest. Was hoping it would also work my core.

You can do pushups with a weighted backpack

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I have used weighted vests in the past but I would suggest they are only worth investing in if you are going to use them in conjunction with a range of bodyweight movements, not just push-ups. Think pull-ups, lunges, air squats etc.

If you only want to increase the difficulty of your push up sets you can obviously do the following, although maybe you're well aware.

-Slow tempo
    -Close grip / diamond push ups
    -Feet elevated
    -Pre-fatigue with light DB floor flyes or similar before going into push up sets
    -Band resisted push ups
    -Clapping push ups
    -One handed push up progressions if all of the above are easy and you're banging out massive volume

In general terms you can always up the ante with conventional push ups by increasing volume and / or decreasing rest periods. If you can do 5 sets of 20 push-ups with 2 minutes rest between them (Just a random example) then if you changed nothing but started reducing your rest period from 2 minutes to 1.30 and then 1 minute ... You'd know all about it.

Or set a goal of 100 push-ups and try to do it against the clock.

There's so many ways to subtly change up your training, it's quite amazing.

As an aside does anyone here use a weight vest? I don't have the room for a barbell or bench so I thought I could build my chest by doing push-ups with a weighted vest. Was hoping it would also work my core.

I don't use a weight vest.
    I'd do elevated push-ups if I were you and that was my goal or else I would increase the volume of push-ups if you haven't already tried that.

If your insistent on spending money I would buy a resistance band and use that to provide resistance doing your push-ups.

You can also do lots of other work with it.

Those options I've suggested take into consideration your space restrictions and your desired outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,571 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Just to agree with Black Sheep...I have little equipment to work with, so just have to look at the variables I can change. This isn't a "this is what I did so it will work for everyone" post but just an example.

The equipment I do have is a pair of push up handles and resistance bands. I do variations....hands close (think close-grip bench), hands wide (wide grip bench) and double-pause push up (on the way down and at the bottom).

Include the push up handles to make those harder because of going through a greater range of motion.

You can hold a resistance band in both hands and around your back for more resistance

Other options I've done are largely based on bench variations I've done....using a tempo, e.g. 4 seconds down, pause and back up. Tempo push ups will burn. Add pauses to tempos.

There are a ton of variations that you can do that will give you a sufficient workload. My bench didn't drop off all much in either lockdown and I only had the push up handles and bands as equipment.

Also, probably should have added it earlier but you have more scope for higher frequency as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Just to jump in on this as I'm after a home gym as such as the OP, im looking at the below

https://www.fitnessequipmentireland.ie/product/home-gym-package-with-lat-pulldown-rack/

And

https://www.fitnessequipmentireland.ie/product/dumbbell-5-30kg-bundle/

Id also like to add in a spin bike or air assault bike but just wondering what the general consensus on the above would be for a home gym, or if theres any alternatives or something else to be looking at?

Advertisement