Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ham in Roasting Bag

Options
  • 04-02-2021 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

So i bought Ham that the butcher put in a roasting bag for me. Weighs 1.7kg. I don't think it's smoked. How would I cook this in fan oven please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Not helpful, but
    1) ask the butcher
    2) take it out of the bag and cook as usual

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I wouldn't roast a pice of ham that size. I'd take it out of the bag, bring it to the boil and simmer for around an hour and a half. Then I'd put a nice glaze on it - mustard and brown sugar is my favourite - and I'd put it into the oven and roast it at 180C for 20-30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I bought ham in a roasting bag at Christmas and I (rather dubiously) just followed the instructions, ie stuck it in the oven and cooked it for whatever the time was, and it was absolutely lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Thanks for all of the replies. I cooked it in fan oven at 175 degrees for 20 minutes per lb, plus 20 mins and it was very salty. Tender, but salty.

From all I read online I should have boiled it first. Foolishly I left it in bag. Not sure why a butcher would put it in roast bag in first instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

forumdedum wrote: »
    So i bought Ham that the butcher put in a roasting bag for me. Weighs 1.7kg. I don't think it's smoked. How would I cook this in fan oven please?

in a bag is usually for the oven. But your butcher should tell you how long for if instructions not on packet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Thanks for all of the replies. I cooked it in fan oven at 175 degrees for 20 minutes per lb, plus 20 mins and it was very salty. Tender, but salty.

From all I read online I should have boiled it first. Foolishly I left it in bag. Not sure why a butcher would put it in roast bag in first instance.

I'm glad you posted that only a few minutes after I posted, otherwise I'd have felt guilty if I gave you bad info. The one I bought was in a sealed bag, and it said not to open it, just put it in the oven. Maybe yours was different but the butcher should have told you if it needed to be boiled first.

Happy4all wrote: »
    in a bag is usually for the oven. But your butcher should tell you how long for if instructions not on packet

I don't think the amount of time in oven would have controlled the amount of salt in it. I don't know too much about ham but i'm pretty certain this one needed to be boiled first, or at least soaked in water before baking.

volchitsa wrote: »
    I'm glad you posted that only a few minutes after I posted, otherwise I'd have felt guilty if I gave you bad info. The one I bought was in a sealed bag, and it said not to open it, just put it in the oven. Maybe yours was different but the butcher should have told you if it needed to be boiled first.

I know I cooked a Marks and Spencer Ham in the oven at Christmas and it was excellent. Perhaps it was cured of salt before packaging?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If roasting ham/bacon, I'd always soak it first overnight in water.
    If boiling, I don't soak.

It probably would have been fine roasted after a good steep.

If roasting ham/bacon, I'd always soak it first overnight in water.
    If boiling, I don't soak.

It probably would have been fine roasted after a good steep.

Cheers for this. Next time I will ask the butcher not to put it in a sealed roasting bag.

• Advertisement
Advertisement