Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doc's

Options
  • 29-01-2021 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭

A bit of love for Dr. Marten's! I feel like a Fashionista... I've had load's of pairs of Doc's since I was a kid... But now they are so fashionable I feel like I'm the source of all that style.

The greenies are my current pair... Vintage Oxblood MIE on the way.

History: 1461 oxblood, 1461 black, 1460 cherry, Blubble Toe Black, Chealsea boot oxblood, 1460 Navy Smooth, 1460 Crazy Horse Brown, Hardcore Workboot (stolen) , 1490 Steel Toe black, 1460 Green Smooth, 1460 Vintage Oxblood...

541321.jpg

541320.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I have the green too, swapped out the laces a few years ago for the yellow and black but now I want to go back to black.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I have the 1460 rainbow patent docs for over two years and I love them.I wear them all the time but despite that they've never truly softened.Patent problems.
    If I don't wear hiking socks they can take the ankles off me.

I'm very tempted by the vegan leather ones because they're much softer and I'd love the red/oxblood 1460's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Twee. wrote: »
    I have the green too, swapped out the laces a few years ago for the yellow and black but now I want to go back to black.

I have to admit, I really like the green... Have been tempted to put the yellow laces on. Maybe I'll do it, now that I have another pair to put into the rotaion.

I have the 1460 rainbow patent docs for over two years and I love them.I wear them all the time but despite that they've never truly softened.Patent problems.
    If I don't wear hiking socks they can take the ankles off me.

I'm very tempted by the vegan leather ones because they're much softer and I'd love the red/oxblood 1460's.

I wore mine for the first time in a year recently and they cut my heel :rolleyes: I've had them 13 years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Twee. wrote: »
    I wore mine for the first time in a year recently and they cut my heel :rolleyes: I've had them 13 years!!

The price we pay.I wore them everyday to work in winter 2019 and they were perfect as they were waterproof.I started to develop patches of hard skin on my ankles/heels.Same as the callouses on your hands after manual labour.

I'm lucky to have big kids size feet so may chance a kids pair at some point.I don't mind the zip.It'd be handy for the lazier days.

• Advertisement

I'm eternally jealous of those who can buy kids' sizes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I got a pair of the carpathian leather ones a few years back. The leather is much softer and doesn't need to be broken in as much, plus they aren't shiny (saying that they still did cut my heels on the first long walk).

Only problem was I got a half size too big. I wore them out thinking that I just need to wear them a bit but when I realised it was the size that was the problem, it was too late to return them.

To wear them now I would need to put in an insole, wear two pairs of socks, and put plasters on each heel. I just couldn't be bothered doing that so they languish in the back of the wardrobe...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I got a pair of the 1460 Pascal in Black last year, and the soft leather hasn't caused any major problems yet... but then again haven't been able to wear them anywhere for long periods of time. I haven't worn them since Christmas Day now, much easier to throw on a pair of runners when heading out. However, I am saving for a pair of Ox Blood coloured boots for when we get to the end of all this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

I wear a black bomber jacket grey t shirt levis and black docs.

Since only 2% of Docs are now made in England (most made in Asia) lots of folk see the appeal of https://eu.nps-solovair.com/collections/all

Folk may consider them fake docs .... Over its long history Solovair has made boots for the British army and in 1959 it helped to create the first pair of Dr. Martens boots. Solovair made Dr. Martens shoes under licence for over 30 years but now it now only makes its own footwear.

https://www.businessinsider.com/inside-solovairs-northamptonshire-shoe-factory-where-it-helped-make-first-pair-dr-martens-2018-7?r=US&IR=T

The 2% of Docs made in England are made by solovair iirc.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Since only 2% of Docs are now made in England (most made in Asia) lots of folk see the appeal of https://eu.nps-solovair.com/collections/all

Folk may consider them fake docs .... Over its long history Solovair has made boots for the British army and in 1959 it helped to create the first pair of Dr. Martens boots. Solovair made Dr. Martens shoes under licence for over 30 years but now it now only makes its own footwear.

https://www.businessinsider.com/inside-solovairs-northamptonshire-shoe-factory-where-it-helped-make-first-pair-dr-martens-2018-7?r=US&IR=T

The 2% of Docs made in England are made by solovair iirc.

The made in England docs are not made by Solovair. They are made by DM in a factory across the road... The two companies no longer have an OEM relationship.

The Solovair boots have a higher quality sole, however, they are allot more bulky, have a much bigger toe box, a much taller ankle and they have small white stitches and a night green tab.

The Doc's are timeless, the yellow stitching and accents, the scale.... The Solovair are a great boot, but side by side with the Docs, they just don't look as good to me.

Get the docs if you want Doc's, get the Solovair if you want a military style boot that's comfortable and longer wearing.

Cheers for the info, not into either to be honest. If it doesn't have a leather sole I don't pay those sort of prices for shoes :)

Augeo wrote: »
    Cheers for the info, not into either to be honest. If it doesn't have a leather sole I don't pay those sort of prices for shoes :)

Horses for courses... I have leather soled shoes that cost a fraction of the price of Doc's and also pairs that cost more than 3x the average cost of Doc's... Wouldn't wear any of those for the same purposes I wear docs...

Everything has its place

New boots arrived and were too small... they need to get their sizing right, because the docs on my feet are the same size (apparently).

They sent free returns documents, but when I tried to return it wouldn't let me enter an Irish address... apparently we are second class citizens and need to find a shipping company ourselves and pay for the shipping back to the Netherlands...

My advise is to buy locally. China Blue have been a great source for Docs and have been around since forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Bluefoam wrote: »
    New boots arrived and were too small... they need to get their sizing right, because the docs on my feet are the same size (apparently).

They sent free returns documents, but when I tried to return it wouldn't let me enter an Irish address... apparently we are second class citizens and need to find a shipping company ourselves and pay for the shipping back to the Netherlands...

My advise is to buy locally. China Blue have been a great source for Docs and have been around since forever.

My new DrM's 1460 Pascal Mono's just arrived & I'm having a similar issue.

I've a pair of Aimilita boots which I regret not sizing down when I bought them. I have to wear two pairs of boot socks & they are still roomy & because of the socks, I never wear them during the summer months.

Based on the Aimilita's, I sized down for 1460's but they are very tight... now I'm unsure if I shoud send them back or if breaking them in with the hairdryer & as many pairs of socks that will fit will do the trick.

If they wernt so expensive I'd just do it but if they don't loosen up enough it will be €185 down the drain!

My new DrM's 1460 Pascal Mono's just arrived & I'm having a similar issue.

I've a pair of Aimilita boots which I regret not sizing down when I bought them. I have to wear two pairs of boot socks & they are still roomy & because of the socks, I never wear them during the summer months.

Based on the Aimilita's, I sized down for 1460's but they are very tight... now I'm unsure if I shoud send them back or if breaking them in with the hairdryer & as many pairs of socks that will fit will do the trick.

If they wernt so expensive I'd just do it but if they don't loosen up enough it will be €185 down the drain!
    A good cobbler will be able to stretch them for you, up to a half size... Smaller fits are easier to fix than large fits. It shouldn't be too expensive to stretch them... Probably less than the return postage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Where on the foot are they tight? Is it length or elsewhere on the boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

cee_jay wrote: »
    Where on the foot are they tight? Is it length or elsewhere on the boot?

Length, my toes are touching the top of the boot, width is grand.
    They were delivered to my job so I tried them on when I got home with thin socks, still too tight, I reckon another 1-2mm smaller & I probably wouldn't even get my foot in.
    It's a shame they don't make half sizes all the way through (6.5 is the only half size)

Advertisement