Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 less bank holiday this year

Options
  • 03-02-2021 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

You know how you'd normally get two bank holidays in December - one for Christmas Day and one for St. Stephen's Day?

:(

Well offically, this year (2021), we are only getting one - the 27th.

This is because Christmas is on the 25th (Saturday) so we get the Monday 27th off, but that's also St. Stephen's day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭NTC

AFAIK, the St. Stephens Day holiday will float to the Tuesday. So we don't loose a day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

There are still 9 Public Holidays in 2021. Entitlements are unchanged as per below. Just the same as any time Christmas falls on a weekend. There is no automatic entitlement to the "next day off" but there is still entitlement to benefit as per the links.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/public_holidays_in_ireland.html

https://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/what_you_should_know/public-holidays/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

NTC wrote: »
    AFAIK, the St. Stephens Day holiday will float to the Tuesday. So we don't loose a day off.

This is correct. Stephens Day rolls to the Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

justmehere wrote: »
    You know how you'd normally get two bank holidays in December - one for Christmas Day and one for St. Stephen's Day?

:(

Well offically, this year (2021), we are only getting one - the 27th.

This is because Christmas is on the 25th (Saturday) so we get the Monday 27th off, but that's also St. Stephen's day.

I for one wouldn't be working the 28th, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

And just to be really pedantic about it, they're not bank holidays, they're public holidays. The day after the Stephen's Day public holiday (normally the 27th, but this year the 29th) is actually a bank holiday, i.e. the banks are closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Don't take it too hard, when a bank holiday falls on a Saturday/Sunday here in Germany, it's tough sh*t, get back to work on Monday.
    We're really fcuked this Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

We're one of the lowest in Europe for Bank Holidays we should be given another one going forward. One in July would be nice as always find that a long month and with kids going on summer holidays then be handy for parents. Plus with the year we're having be nice for the government to do this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

RGARDINR wrote: »
    We're one of the lowest in Europe for Bank Holidays we should be given another one going forward. One in July would be nice as always find that a long month and with kids going on summer holidays then be handy for parents. Plus with the year we're having be nice for the government to do this also.

Who pays for it?

Oh yeah the employer, with the year they have been having sure they'll be well able to afford it :rolleyes:

Get on to your local SF TD, it's just the type of thing they like to promise. Giving away loads without a thought of how to pay for it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

We definitely should have more bank/public holidays- when I'm president, there will be one in February for Pancake Day, and ones in July and September to break things up a bit since there are no public holidays on those months. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »
    I for one wouldn't be working the 28th, that's for sure.

Same, I'll finish up before Christmas and won't be back until the new year and will keep as much annual leave aside as required to facilitate it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Posy wrote: »
    We definitely should have more bank/public holidays- when I'm president, there will be one in February for Pancake Day, and ones in July and September to break things up a bit since there are no public holidays on those months. :)

And the 3 day weekend we already agreed on. Cant be forgetting that!!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh yes, very true, DvB! :D

I think we can lock this now, as things are getting a bit political and we don't want politics seeping in here, and the OP's query has been dealt with. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement