Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First thing you'll do when restrictions are lifted

• 03-02-2021 9:53am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So trying to be more positive today, let's look forward to a nicer time ahead and think about all the things we're going to do when restrictions end.

*It goes without saying hug a loved one or travel and spend time with family will betop of the list, so for that reason I'm omitting them from mine as I'm taking it as a given.

I'm looking forward to;

1. Going out to a restaurant for a steak dinner.
    2. Going to the Cinema to see a new release & getting cinema popcorn and nachos :pac:
    3. Going to a hotel for the weekend
    4. Booking in for Physio/Sports Massage on my back!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I'm looking forward to;

1. Standing in the pub putting the world to rights
    2. Cinema with biggest popcorn they have
    3. Date night in a restaurant or anywhere where someone else brings the food and washes the plates!
    4. Game of footie
    5, Round of golf with my Dad

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Pub
    Restaurants
    Travel anywhere unrestricted
    Hotel stay
    Concerts
    See all the family again
    Meet up with friends

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Oh yes Punisher concerts are a good one,

5. Go to a gig/musical/live comedy show

We are meant to be going to Lush in Belfast in October.

Really looking forward and really hope it can go ahead

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We are meant to be going to Lush in Belfast in October.

Really looking forward and really hope it can go ahead

I've a good feeling by October you should be okay.

• Advertisement

No more poxy masks
    No more social distancing
    No more crap about covid
    No more stress of it all......

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SVI40

Board a plane. That is all.

SVI40 wrote: »

It's the getting off is the best part

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The old Michelin slogan sums it up for me: nunc est bibendum (now let us drink).

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

There’s a lot of money out there waiting to be spent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Dinner out and book travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭wally79

My 4 year old being able to start school in a normal way in September

Not sitting looking out this same window every day

Edit: just realised that was more what I was looking forward to or hoping for

First thing I will do is visit my parents.....to leave the kids there and go to a hotel for a break

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

1. Dinner in a restaurant
    2. Night away in a hotel with a spa, with breakfast and dinner included
    3. Holiday in Spain
    4. Cinema Trip with a vat of cinema popcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

SVI40 wrote: »

That's it, in a nutshell, for me too. Couldn't care less about all the other restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

So much to look forward to!

1. Phone a friend to meet for lunch at a café.

2. Dinner in town, then on to a party, with friends and games and hugs and noise.

3. Back to the gym, good workout, swim in the pool, and my Pilates class

4. Going into town, wander about window-shopping and looking at the crowds, buy a few pretty things, then to a nice restaurant for a good dinner, home by taxi.

5.Take a train to a weekend away in a hotel

6. Invite all my family over to a garden party with barbecue at my house.

7. Book a foreign holiday to someplace that has sunshine straight onto the skin, warm sand to squidge between the toes, balmy waves for bathing.

Stop, this is making me cry....

• Registered Users Posts: 18 GarySmith

Remain positive and keep surrounding masses positive as well, will definitely board a flight, go somewhere where friends or knowns living as haven’t met them for around 2 years now, else earlier yearly visit usually and used to spend weeks or so sit and play with nature by walking to hills and valleys for around 2 – 4 hours in the evening but this time I will do in the morning as well, earlier in the morning I only walk or jog for an hour this time will increase it to 2 plus hours and yes hopefully masks wouldn’t be required in remote areas as will be with nature only so I could be refreshed by few fountains there as well but I will keep distance it will be still winter for another 2 months, yes, later on, I will enjoy in fountains as well a big shower of nature not like a little bath in home what else lot of more things.

Yes, not a doubt that a lot of money there to spent by who can so that I circulate and go to and through the hands in needed so travel will be priority and shopping as well. So finally wouldn’t be sitting near a window for long days so soon will be like a bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

See my family, it has been months... (due to non Covid ill health I missed out on some of the opportunities when inter county travel was allowed).

Try on clothes in a fitting room before I buy :D

Work in the office (I know, I know, but wfh full time is a struggle for me), in person chats with friends, dinners, pint a pub, theatre or concert, and maybe even go abroad! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Hug people!! Family and friends, especially those who lost loved ones over the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

There’s only one thing I most look forward to and that’s a non socially distanced visit with my soon to be 90 year old nana and give her the longest hug ever. Thank god she’s remained safe throughout this and hopefully will continue to strive till she gets her vaccination. Going to miss celebrating her 90th Birthday properly but hope to make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Looking forward to a lot of things, in no particular order :

Going to see live matches again, (Rovers, Dublin hurlers & Leinster Rugby in particular)
    Being able to have a few pints with mates after any of the above!
    Get back to coaching the kids teams & playing hurling matches again.
    Getting back to normal in work, as much as WFH has its plusses, I prefer going in to the office as normal & interacting with my colleagues.
    Going to see a live band

The rest is the obvious of simply being able to call in the the grandparents with the kids and seeing family/friends more regularly.

and from a mental health POV, being simply able to plan for the future again, for things as simple as parties, get togethers, weekends away to annual holidays abroad...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭wally79

SNIP

I think you’ve missed the point of the thread

Also OP why is this in the Christmas forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Use my free travel pass on the west clare railway

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I haven't taught to much about this, but here is what I can think of, off the top of my head.

1. Go to the cinema and eat a lot of snacks.
    2. Go to a restaurant.
    3. Meet up with a group of friends.

Nothing to crazy, but that is it off the top of my head.

wally79 wrote: »
    I think you’ve missed the point of the thread

Also OP why is this in the Christmas forum?

Hi Wally79, as COVID has taken alot from us I've noticed the most recently lockdown is having a negative affect on us already this year, so i've decided to start a thread talking about more positive times ahead we can look forward to in the build up to Christmas 2021.

We have a good community here in the Christmas Forum who chat about non-Christmas and Christmas topics all year around.

This thread has garnered alot of attention from other posters who may not be familiar with our forum or charter, which while wasn't the attention is always welcomed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

In no particular order...

Go to the hairdressers and the beauticians.
    Go to a bookshop and meander, just really enjoy having a proper look around.
    Meet a friend for lunch or dinner and relax, no time limits.
    Go to the theatre and/ or the cinema.
    Book a break somewhere, in the country and also away for a few days.

Obviously visit family and all of that but as you said Loughc that goes without saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

My number one is to see friends and family same as everyone else.

Apart from that
    -Cinema
    -Scuba diving
    -Yoga class
    -Go to see live shows/gigs
    -Get a massage
    -Meander around shops
    -Eating out

I'd love a holiday abroad but I see that as a 2022 thing more so.I'm hoping I get to do the above in 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

Throw on Tiger King to see what all the fuss was about

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

• Go to the hairdressers
    • Meet my mam and have a meal in a nice Indian restaurant
    • Work drinks in a PUB (I can wear a DRESS)
    • A night or two away in a nice hotel
    • Finally visit my friend and her (not so) new baby
    • Hopefully get to go to the above friend's thrice postponed wedding
    • I'm also looking forward to resuming my music lessons in person, rather then bloody Zoom

Also, can't wait to have a sun holiday, but that will be 2022 I feel.

I know it seems shallow to have hairdresser at the top of my list- but for me that is a psychological thing, look good to feel good and all that. I could have gone to the hairdresser in December, but had no intention of putting myself or the staff at risk over the Christmas period. For me, being able to visit the hairdresser again (after nearly a year!) will be a sign that things are getting back to normal and there's nothing like an old ego boost. :pac: :D

Posy wrote: »
    I know it seems shallow to have hairdresser at the top of my list- but for me that is a psychological thing, look good to feel good and all that. I could have gone to the hairdresser in December, but had no intention of putting myself or the staff at risk over the Christmas period. For me, being able to visit the hairdresser again (after nearly a year!) will be a sign that things are getting back to normal and there's nothing like an old ego boost. :pac: :D
    Not shallow at all, do whatever makes you happy. Just remember all the hairdressers do is add a glossy finish, you're gorgeous even before you step into the salon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

1) Take my wife out for a nice meal.
    2) Wander in and out of numerous shops simply to enjoy the novelty of not having to queue.
    3) Go on holiday. We missed our Italian holiday the last 2 years now.
    4) Go visit my family in England.

I'm missing the normal things more than I'd have thought. Just wandering in shops for the hell of it, not wearing masks, going for meals once in a blue moon without having to plan it like a military operation etc...

Advertisement