Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Circular Road Dublin

Options
  • 03-02-2021 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

There is a house associated with a family on SC Road. I have taken photos and show to elderly relative who says it does not look like one she remembers from 1920's. I think I heard there might have been some renumbering done?

I looked at address in 1911 census and there are two shops, grocer and hardware next door but no commercial use beside present numbered property. Also the building description is different in that more windows and not redbrick.

Relevant address was no 69 South Circular Road and was owned by one family from 1914 to 1934 and mentioned in various records. I mean to get at Thom's directories to see if I can find the right house but no libraries at the moment. :(

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

What part of South Circular Road is it - Portobello, Dolphin's Barn, Rialto?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

https://irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/history-and-genealogy/buildings-database/124-aka-512-south-circular-road-rialto

Possibly had a knock on effect.

From that page: *With the introduction of new houses in this area after World War II, the South Circular Road (aka SCR) was renumbered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A newspaper article in 1932 describes them as "the self-contained block of six two-storey Dwellings, Nos. 59, 61. 63, 65, 67 and 69 SOUTH CIRCULAR ROAD. RIALTO. and three Cottages at the rear thereof."

1937:
    69 SOUTH CIRCULAR ROAD

Portobello, Dublin. (Vacant Possession). Lease, 140 years from 1871. Rent, £3/18/3 per annum. Poor Law Valuation, £24, The house is a two-storey red brick structure in good repair, containing three reception rooms, four bedrooms, bathroom, separate lavatory, kitchenette, scullery, and yard, electric light and gas. Rear entrance.

1939:
    BRADY'S Guest House. 69 South Circular Road. Portobello late of 58 Harcourt Street

The description might pin it down.

According to the 1911 Thom's a Mrs. Bowe is at No. 69 which is part of Longwood Terrace.

I can't find Longwood Terrace marked on any map but going by the other addresses on Thom's
    it's the next terrace after Tyrconnell Terrace between Spencer Street and Tesco.

541851.jpg

Map source

541849.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

If it's the one marked in yellow then it looks like it's no. 84 now to me

• Advertisement

p15574 wrote: »
    If it's the one marked in yellow then it looks like it's no. 84 now to me

Spot on!

I neglected to mention the current door number above.:o

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Hermy wrote: »
    Spot on!

I neglected to mention the current door number above.:o

Sorry, I completely missed the part of your post where you linked the Streetview too, sorry - my post was unnecessary. Spent too long looking at the old map!

Not at all p - the door number was a crucial piece of the puzzle.

I spent too long myself with the old maps last night and missed the obvious.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Excellent! well done so now it is no 84 SCR (Portobello). My mother's memory even tho she is over 100 now is still 'sound'.... This week I received a photo of two toddlers sitting on the front window sill and it all fits and one of them is still with us also but in America. I need to learn how to load up pictures here!

Thank you all....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

jpg.gif 1929-09 sisters Margorie & Phyllis Daly in Dublin.jpg (69.3 KB)

• Advertisement

Something to keep me busy in lockdown.
    541873.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Lovely work everyone!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Adorable picture of the little girls. A treasure.

Advertisement