Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

macOS 11 - Big Sur

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Installed without issue on my 16” last night. The new look will take a bit of time to adjust to but it does feel more responsive. Many of the headline features are already available in the latest Safari in 10.15 if you’re feeling the FOMO.

The persistent issue I’ve had with Spotlight spinning up all CPU cores when doing any basic maths seems to still be there but less severe somehow.

The bug where Mail pops open a window all by itself and grabs focus whenever it tries to reconnect to Google hasn’t reared its head so far.

I’ll probably put it on my office 2015 5K iMac soon. Catalina broke my thunderbolt ports, I wonder what damage Big Sur will do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Updated my late-2014 mini earlier without any issues. Took about an hour all-in.

I have an old mid-2012 MBP and I’m tempted to try the hack above. I assume that once installed, the machine will still get Big Sur updates as normal?

Wondering this too. I’ve a late 2013 iMac. If I can still get updates I’ll do the upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Doodah7 wrote: »
    I have an old mid-2012 MBP and I’m tempted to try the hack above. I assume that once installed, the machine will still get Big Sur updates as normal?

Updated my (non retina) 2012 MacBook Pro as it’s not my main Mac. All working great so far! Love most things Apple but obviously the marketing department stepped in here and put their foot down! I used this site below to do it but for some reason I chose the current public beta so at some point I’d like to have it back to a normal release. I don’t think getting updates is as simple as with a supported Mac tho.

https://github.com/BenSova/Patched-Sur

Successfully completed update of my 2018 mac mini. Will report back in following days how things are going

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

When I originally installed Big Sur there was a message saying 'verifying Microsoft Powerpoint' that never went away or finished.

I updated Word and Excel earlier, tried to open them and they were bouncing in the dock, wouldn't open. Restarted the system and that sorted it, eventually.

TeamViewer still opens on login every time, even though I've told it not to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Can't search in mail in big sur. Apple's quality control on software is becoming worse and worse.

Installed Firefox 83 as first application in Big Sur. It won't open. hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Had it a few days, no issues so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just got a notification prompt offering to tour my Macbook Air...I've an iMac. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Just got a notification prompt offering to tour my Macbook Air...I've an iMac. :pac:

Got the same one and I’ve a MacBook Pro. Must be a mistake on Apple’s side.

• Advertisement

11.1 is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

Following on to my separate thread posted 05-12, I've just had another instance where the iMac [Big Sur] wouldn't open after sleep. It was OK waking first thing, then when I next went to use it, it wouldn't accept my password.
    I did a restart and it wouldn't boot up.
    Learning from last time, I connected to WiFi and downloaded Big Sur, then restored from Time machine. That took 5 hours.
    Afterwards several apps [eg Chrome] wouldn't open due to permission problems, so I had to download them. Seems OK now.
    Now have 11.1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

It's stories like that, that make me glad I'm still on Mojave :D Utterly hassle free!

Yes, I wish I had waited a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭drogon.

JonMac wrote: »
    Yes, I wish I had waited a few months.

What year is your iMac ? Any chance you still have a regular HDD (or whatever the hybrid disk they sold them with) rather than SSD ?

2019, fusion drive

I really don't like 11.1. I can hardly distinguish what is on the screen. Any way to make it easier to see? Apple Maps is a disaster.

BTW, the crash broke Parallels Desktop and Windows 10. Still downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

JonMac wrote: »
    I really don't like 11.1. I can hardly distinguish what is on the screen. Any way to make it easier to see? Apple Maps is a disaster.

What do you mean? Are you updating from 11.0.1, or from an older version of Mac OS X? Maybe a screenshot would help explain what display issues you're having.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've a late 2016 MacBook Pro, pretty much maxed out specs. Maybe my laptop is just starting to show its age now but it feels like apps are taking slightly longer to open since I upgraded to Big Sur. I remember thinking that the computer was still absolutely flying for a near 4 year old laptop a few months back but I feel like it's slowed down ever so slightly now. I've bootcamp running on it and Windows seems to be performing the same as it always did.

• Advertisement

I upgraded to Big Sur about a month ago, it was fine. Then early this month it crashed and I re-installed it - fine.
    Yesterday it crashed again and I re-installed it and it was 11.1. It had not transferred the settings from 11.0
    I googled and found that I could adjust the screen in system preferences> accessibility. I have now managed to get the screen so it is legible.
    I don't know why 11.1 started up with the settings that it did, but I didn't like them!

FYI. Parallels Desktop does like Big Sur 11.1. It won't connect to the internet.
    Parallels form has others with same result.
    I booted up with a clone with 11.0.1 and Parallels worked fine.

Dunno if this is a Big Sur thing or was there before. Is there some way of stopping PDF files opening in System Viewer and only open in Adobe Reader? I do have them set to default for AR. This happens when I download them in Firefox, open the Downloads thing, double click and it sees as a PDF (red and white logo, etc), but still won't open them in AR, only if I go through Finder will it do so.

11.2 is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Dunno if this is a Big Sur thing or was there before. Is there some way of stopping PDF files opening in System Viewer and only open in Adobe Reader? I do have them set to default for AR. This happens when I download them in Firefox, open the Downloads thing, double click and it sees as a PDF (red and white logo, etc), but still won't open them in AR, only if I go through Finder will it do so.

I'm not in front of FF on my Mac to check this, but I think there's a setting in FF to allow you to choose what app to open particular file types from the download strip.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/change-firefox-behavior-when-open-file

That did the trick, thank you. :)

11.2.1 is out.

11.2.3 is out.

11.3 is out.

• Advertisement

11.5 is out.

Advertisement