Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs you are dealing with a 'Rooter'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

I knew an old boy and his sister , there was a crack in the gable end of the house ..subsidence? you could talk to him thru the crack 2-4 inches. no heating.
    He'd bring 5 year old bullocks back home from the mart and due to poor prices and then leave them starve to death the following winter.
    I walked into his yard one day and a rotten carcuss moved.... there was two dogs tied to its ribcage .. it t'was like a dog house.

I hope you reported him, no way would I let that type of stuff slip, I've been in a couple of yards delivering stuff and reported the bastards to RSPCA or department, any cnut that can't treat an animal right and feed them enough to keep them standing should have enough land to bury himself and no more

• Registered Users Posts: 29,231 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My dad was telling me of a woman farmer who had a few issues, she had a cow calving and went to next farm to get help. There was a lad there helping out who was fond of a few drinks. He went to help calve the cow. He took his jacket off and was working on the cow when he turned round yer woman was drinking the bottle of whiskey that was in his jacket pocket....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    thats "Deliverance " stuff

The back country boys in Georgia wouldnt even have that, dogs would be tied to a car axle or something, thats horrific stuff if true.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

whelan2 wrote: »
    My dad was telling me of a woman farmer who had a few issues, she had a cow calving and went to next farm to get help. There was a lad there helping out who was fond of a few drinks. He went to help calve the cow. He took his jacket off and was working on the cow when he turned round yer woman was drinking the bottle of whiskey that was in his jacket pocket....

My father often told me about helping to extract a big bullock from a bog drain for a neighbour year's back. The neighbour was middle-aged and lived with his elderly mother and was very fond of the drink. This particular winter's day he had neglected to fodder the stock and one bullock must have went in search of grass growing on top of the stagnant water in the drain. The bullock was almost totally submerged when the elderly mother discovered him and raised the alarm.

A team of neighbours and the hungover son were assembled and after much effort the bullock was eventually freed. The son told his mother to go and get a bottle of whiskey from the house to give to the recumbent bullock (seemingly she used to hide any drink he brought home to reduce his consumption). The poor woman set-off for the house and soon returned with a half bottle, by this stage the animal had regained his feet and seemed to be none the worse for his encounter. The son took the bottle off his mother and told her that he was more in need of it than the bullock and promptly drank the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

My father often told me about helping to extract a big bullock from a bog drain for a neighbour year's back. The neighbour was middle-aged and lived with his elderly mother and was very fond of the drink. This particular winter's day he had neglected to fodder the stock and one bullock must have went in search of grass growing on top of the stagnant water in the drain. The bullock was almost totally submerged when the elderly mother discovered him and raised the alarm.

A team of neighbours and the hungover son were assembled and after much effort the bullock was eventually freed. The son told his mother to go and get a bottle of whiskey from the house to give to the recumbent bullock (seemingly she used to hide any drink he brought home to reduce his consumption). The poor woman set-off for the house and soon returned with a half bottle, by this stage the animal had regained his feet and seemed to be none the worse for his encounter. The son took the bottle off his mother and told her that he was more in need of it than the bullock and promptly drank the lot.

Heard a similar one local to here of a donkey and a well and a young lad been handed a bottle of poitin to give the donkey to warm him up. Sams outcome as youres.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Jjameson wrote: »
    Sheep scanner came here years ago and while my setting up my Father noted blood splatters on ramp and on the back of his little trailer. “The man before ya got into an argument with a ewe” Transpired the nutter lost the plot with stubborn ewes and bludgeoned one to death on the ramp with a piece of a wooden stake..

I used to work for the Dept doing the blood testing for Brucellosis. I was working outside my own area (close to home actually)one day with a vet who was doing the Tb test. I'd never come across this particular vet before, but have several times since.
    The test wasn't going great, the headgate wasn't in great shape and several heifers had managed to burst through it. The heifers were fairly flighty and the vet was getting into bad form, loads of cursing and shouting. There was one heifer made a run for the crush and we could all see she was likely to burst through the headgate.

The Vet lifted the backing bar which was a two inch round piece of hollow steel pipe and swung it at her as she just hit the headgate. The heifer met it with such force and his swing caught her right on the top of the skull. She just dropped onto her belly instantly and I swore he had killed her. The farmer went apoplectic and tore into the vet, who was completely nonplussed. The heifer eventually came round and got to her feet but by jaysus I swore I never would speak to him ever again or give him the time of day. The fooker should have been struck off, but I don't think the farmer even reported him.

Heard someone took a ewe to the surgery that was ill, didn't know what was wrong with her. Said vet took one look at her and said "she's going to die" and that was his diagnosis and off he walked. Prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Heard a similar one local to here of a donkey and a well and a young lad been handed a bottle of poitin to give the donkey to warm him up. Sams outcome as youres.

I remember the panic and the amount of people about when we had a cow go into a bog hole when I was small... You could only see her head up...
    All the neighbours were called upon, ropes were borrowed... She was pulled out late in the day, and like the bullock above wasn’t as bad as you’d expect after the experience...

I am sure it was a bad day for the father at the time, but i was only small and enjoyed all the commotion.
    It’s funny how it’s a memory I treasure as all of the participants are now after passing on, including the father...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Good loser

Tbe grandfather (pioneer, anti drink) used to go on about farms being drank around here over the years etc, most of those farms were only smallholdings by irish standards and in fairness if they were drinking 7 nights a week like back then a small farm like it wouldnt be long going.
    Some of the finest farms around this part are ran by lads fond of a drop, whereas here it was teetotalers running the show and the farm has more or less stood still throughout the generations. My thinking behind it is that the fellas drinking needed more money to sustain their lifestyle compared to a pioneer so they had to get better and drive on the farm moreso than the abstainers who just tipped away at nothing too hectic. Also the fellas fond of a drop around here would have every inch of ground fenced, good handling facilities and infrastructure too as the last thing theyd want is to be held up in the evening if they were heading for a pint. Whereas here everythings stiil backwards and the auld fella is going until late most evenings and still getting SFA done.

I met a distant neighbour in the mart about 10 years ago. He was old, very heavy and really slow moving. I suggested it might be a good move to give up the milking. He replied that he couldn't as he drank a lot and needed the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭enricoh

The rats have to be fed too

A lad beside me used to throw a sup of milk into a bit of a trough for the cats after milking. He forgot his phone one day n went back for it to see the two cats and 5-6 rats supping away at the same time. The shotgun was produced and didn't discriminate!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

enricoh wrote: »
    A lad beside me used to throw a sup of milk into a bit of a trough for the cats after milking. He forgot his phone one day n went back for it to see the two cats and 5-6 rats supping away at the same time. The shotgun was produced and didn't discriminate!

He hated all equally :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

enricoh wrote: »

God will know his own.

To quote a French bishop before a city in the south of France with a lot of heretics was put to the sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

I remember the panic and the amount of people about when we had a cow go into a bog hole when I was small... You could only see her head up...
    All the neighbours were called upon, ropes were borrowed... She was pulled out late in the day, and like the bullock above wasn’t as bad as you’d expect after the experience...

I am sure it was a bad day for the father at the time, but i was only small and enjoyed all the commotion.
    It’s funny how it’s a memory I treasure as all of the participants are now after passing on, including the father...

One day when I was 10 or 11 I was running around the perimeters of my dads farm exploring when I noticed at least 14 or 15 Friesian heifers belonging to a neighbour were in an adjoining large bog drain, well away from our house, and were up to their necks in it. One or two looked dead already. This was the neighbours out farm, not his home place and he possibly didn't check on those heifers every day. I went home, hopped on my bike and cycled a mile or so to his house to let him know. I don't what happened afterwards, I assume that he got the most of them out but it must have been some ordeal to do so. He never mentioned anything to us about it later. Another time he had a Friesian bull on the same land and one morning at about 6am it arrived at our back door and started banging its head on the door. I had plenty of respect for Friesian bulls after than episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Have another one: drives across a wet field in 3rd with the revs flat out.... just witnessed the old boy drift round a ring feeder 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I worked in the South of France for a placement after I finished Mountbellew in the mid 90s.

I remember the exact moment when I knew I was handed a **** show.

They had lambs close to killing that were feeding on too Rich of grass or meal.. i can't remember the exact circumstances in fairness it's 26 years ago, but they started to bloat. Maybe 15 of the 50.

They went down, some started to get very week.

The farmer was enraged..dragged the sick lambs and piled them one on top.of each other in a heap at the door ready for collection before they even died.

My greatest regret is I was a little too young and lacked the confidence to tell him he was a ****ing ape.

Granted. A few weeks later it did all come to a head and I ended up working in Denmark 🇩🇰

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Good loser

Danzy wrote: »
    God will know his own.

To quote a French bishop before a city in the south of France with a lot of heretics was put to the sword.

Read about that in a superb book by Jonathan Sumption 'The Albigensian Crusade'
    It dealt with the Cathars, a group of heretics in southern France in the 14th or 15th Century.
    Towards the end of the war (40 years maybe) the official side were poised to capture a major town and enquired of the papal legate what they should do with the population inside as it would not be clear which were Cathars and which weren't.
    His response: Kill them all, God will know his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭older by the day

Good loser wrote: »
    I met a distant neighbour in the mart about 10 years ago. He was old, very heavy and really slow moving. I suggested it might be a good move to give up the milking. He replied that he couldn't as he drank a lot and needed the money!

Telling old lads to give up milking or farming makes sence in a lot of cases but I have never seen it work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

It’s when you are a rooter in bed you’re in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I worked in the South of France for a placement after I finished Mountbellew in the mid 90s.

it's 26 years ago, 🇩🇰

I finished in mountbellew in 1995 too. Some craic there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Granted. A few weeks later it did all come to a head and I ended up working in Denmark ����

There's a story there!

There's a story there!

There is actually. Quite an amusing one too!

I was working morning and evening- during the afternoon it was a siesta..3 hour break because of the summer Mediterranean heat.

The family had no English and I have very basic French at the time. The mother was a lovely woman l, the father was an asshole and the son a mix of the 2.

I'm there over a month now. They would be gone alot of the day and leave instruction of what they wanted done during the day

Father came home one evening when I was cleaning out the sheep shed. They were up to their ass in manure so I decided to clean it out. He came home and dogs into me because I hadn't other work done that he expected but I hadn't understood needed doing. He wanted straw put under the cows

He's going off one one ****ing and blinding in French and I pretty much snapped, i had put in quite a day and thought they may have been happy with the work I had put in cleaning up the place, I ****ed him out of it in English and I told I'll do it so I stormed into the house to get the knife to cut the strings on the bales (big square bales)
    The mother sees the rage in my eyes and sees me going for the the knife in the drawer. She starts screaming and says non non non (no no no)

Qu'est-ce que tu fais?!?! (What are you doing!!) She's trying to drag the knife off me as I March down to the shed to cut do the straw.

I'm going to cut the ****ing strings of the bales for that ****ing arsehole. She didn't understand a word I was saying but I'm pretty sure she thought I was going to try and butcher her husband

The language barrier, the culture the heat the bit of homesickness and the way they treated the lambs made it a stay that wasn't going to last.

Denmark was great. So good I actually went back 3 years later for 2 weeks to work on the farm while while was on holidays from my then full time job.

I visited the family in France about 10 years later when I was driving around France. We buried the hatchet and I assured them I wasn't trying to stab anyone.. I was just trying to cut the twine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Jb1989

There is actually. Quite an amusing one too!

I was working morning and evening- during the afternoon it was a siesta..3 hour break because of the summer Mediterranean heat.

The family had no English and I have very basic French at the time. The mother was a lovely woman l, the father was an asshole and the son a mix of the 2.

I'm there over a month now. They would be gone alot of the day and leave instruction of what they wanted done during the day

Father came home one evening when I was cleaning out the sheep shed. They were up to their ass in manure so I decided to clean it out. He came home and dogs into me because I hadn't other work done that he expected but I hadn't understood needed doing. He wanted straw put under the cows

He's going off one one ****ing and blinding in French and I pretty much snapped, i had put in quite a day and thought they may have been happy with the work I had put in cleaning up the place, I ****ed him out of it in English and I told I'll do it so I stormed into the house to get the knife to cut the strings on the bales (big square bales)
    The mother sees the rage in my eyes and sees me going for the the knife in the drawer. She starts screaming and says non non non (no no no)

Qu'est-ce que tu fais?!?! (What are you doing!!) She's trying to drag the knife off me as I March down to the shed to cut do the straw.

I'm going to cut the ****ing strings of the bales for that ****ing arsehole. She didn't understand a word I was saying but I'm pretty sure she thought I was going to try and butcher her husband

The language barrier, the culture the heat the bit of homesickness and the way they treated the lambs made it a stay that wasn't going to last.

Denmark was great. So good I actually went back 3 years later for 2 weeks to work on the farm while while was on holidays from my then full time job.

I visited the family in France about 10 years later when I was driving around France. We buried the hatchet and I assured them I wasn't trying to stab anyone.. I was just trying to cut the twine

Brilliant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Where did you bury the hatchet?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

blue5000 wrote: »

I don't know but I hope he wasn't carrying it when he came to the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,874 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Slowly flowing drains are often the first sign of root damage. If you flush your toilet and it drains very slowly or you hear a gurgling noise, there's a good chance roots have entered the pipes. Note: The risk is especially high in older homes or properties with large trees nearby!
    A guy I went to primary school with, woke up one morning went to the toilet in the dark. As he sat down, he got lifted out of it with a stinging pain. He jumped up and looked back, and there it was. A nettle growing right up from the bowl and it had just stung the arse of him on a cold spring morning

• Registered Users Posts: 29,231 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

blue5000 wrote: »

The principal in our primary school was a bit of a psycho. He took a dislike to a lad in my class and would ring his mother giving out about him. One day the lads father stopped at the school and the principal came over. He said I hear you're having trouble with my Tom, ah no hes a lovely chap. The boys father only realised after he had his hand on nail bar the whole time he was talking to the principal.........

Dunedin wrote: »
    I finished in mountbellew in 1995 too. Some craic there.

I can't remember if it was 94 or 95 I finished!

Did you do the European tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I can't remember if it was 94 or 95 I finished!

Did you do the European tour?

I was in the Agri business class and we didn’t do the tour. Enjoyed the year though and drank some hape of pints there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Dunedin wrote: »
    I was in the Agri business class and we didn’t do the tour. Enjoyed the year though and drank some hape of pints there.

Henry’s Bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭einn32

A vet was telling me once he was at a place and had finished the testing. He went through his hand held and says there are three animals not accounted for. Farmer says oh ya I have their tags here, they are buried down the back. But they are only half buried so if you want to have a look you can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

einn32 wrote: »
    A vet was telling me once he was at a place and had finished the testing. He went through his hand held and says there are three animals not accounted for. Farmer says oh ya I have their tags here, they are buried down the back. But they are only half buried so if you want to have a look you can!

I wonder how that ended up for the farmer! We might say a vet is dear at times but some of the work themselves or someone working in an office has to deal with would all add up pretty quickly.

Advertisement