Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Good point there re tyres. Is anyone on a different tyre to Primacy 3?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Good point there re tyres. Is anyone on a different tyre to Primacy 3?

I have mine on Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen-3

Put them on in Nov, and it snowed the next week!

Summer tyres are no good when there is even a whiff of snow.

Still from the dashcam, a Car in front, further along the road, on the way down, had a wheel in the ditch the whole way down, And looks like it also slid most of the way too.

Niro didnt skip a beat, dont think the traction control light even came on at all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I have gone past the grip level of the e-Niro from a standing start. One notable occasion was coming from a small side road on to a busy, wet and fast N road. I goosed it harder than I should have and the driver side front wheel lost grip, bringing on the ESC. But once I got the car straight on the N road it just took off as normal.

Bottom line is: you can spin the front wheels if you want to and you can control them if you want to as well. You can feel the grip starting to fail and easing back on the throttle sorts it right out.

Can't be having that, you are not allowed to be a skilled driver who can control his FWD drive vehicle, you should be able to floor it at every opportunity in wet conditions after an oil spill!

graememk wrote: »
    I have mine on Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen-3

Put them on in Nov, and it snowed the next week!

Summer tyres are no good when there is even a whiff of snow.

Still from the dashcam, a Car in front, further along the road, on the way down, had a wheel in the ditch the whole way down, And looks like it also slid most of the way too.

Niro didnt skip a beat, dont think the traction control light even came on at all.

There was snow and ice here in Dublin last month. Didn't cause a problem even on the normal tyres.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

There was snow and ice here in Dublin last month. Didn't cause a problem even on the normal tyres.

Summer tyres are fine.. until they aren't. There are roads that we would be on that would never be treated. I'd far rather spend the money on good tyres than have to be pulled out of a ditch.

Sell you my part worn primacy 3 tyres? only 15k km on them.

I know this is a comparison between winter and summer, but a lot of the all season tyres have almost as good performance as the winter.

they also done a video where they put winter on the front and summer on the back. the results was as expected, any turning motion and the car does a 180, does seem like fun, and would be great practice if something like that ever happened in real life.

• Advertisement

No thanks on the part worns :)
    Less snow and ice down here compared to where you are, went over a few hills with decent snow but kept it sensible, knowing I'd be goosed if did lose it due to driver error! Know what 4 season tyre is now so thanks fo or that.

Previous comment intended to be complimentary to eNiro. It's a fantastic motor and have had no issues with it when think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭zg3409

I see an Irish owner on Facebook has bought this rear camera automatic cleaner

https://camwipe.com/#!/products/kia-niro-rear-camera-wiper

It cleans when wiper moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

zg3409 wrote: »

I've got one.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Redlim

Alun wrote: »
    I've got one.

Do you find it any good? The camera lens gets covered in muck so quickly so it's a great idea if it works properly. Would be worried any grit stuck in the bristles could scrape the lens though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, it works fine. Haven't noticed any problems with scratching either. It's not the prettiest thing, it's 3D printed and the finish is a bit rough, but I've read online that there's a new version in the pipeline that looks a bit more "finished".

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, it works fine. Haven't noticed any problems with scratching either. It's not the prettiest thing, it's 3D printed and the finish is a bit rough, but I've read online that there's a new version in the pipeline that looks a bit more "finished".

Cheers, might hold off another while till the newer version is out. Will stick to just giving it a quick wipe by hand before each drive for now! Pity it wasn't put behind the badge like it is in the VW IDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Redlim wrote: »
    Cheers, might hold off another while till the newer version is out. Will stick to just giving it a quick wipe by hand before each drive for now! Pity it wasn't put behind the badge like it is in the VW IDs.

This is my ritual before I get into the car....quick wipe of the back camera! Although I've forgotten what my car looks like now since I haven't seen it since mid December! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Redlim wrote: »
    Do you find it any good? The camera lens gets covered in muck so quickly so it's a great idea if it works properly. Would be worried any grit stuck in the bristles could scrape the lens though.

I have it too, they're not branded anymore (which I got) so it doesn't stand as much. It's grand, does the job 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

zg3409 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I have the file tucked away somewhere if anyone want's to 3D print one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Good to see its been debranded again. I saw them some time ago on that Canadian guys channel (Evolution, maybe?) and the original one was plain and the V2 was branded and looked crap in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

JohnC. wrote: »
    Good to see its been debranded again. I saw them some time ago on that Canadian guys channel (Evolution, maybe?) and the original one was plain and the V2 was branded and looked crap in comparison.

Yeah, that's how I came across it too and thought the same thing. You can see on the site (https://camwipe.com/) how it looks now. It doesn't contrast with the rest of the wiper, which is a good thing.

I hate brand clutter, I took off all the stickers that came on this lovely car (dealer, service reminder etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I ordered one on Sunday after the camera was full of crap yet again and the order was marked as complete yesterday. I use the guides to judge the distance for my dogs ramp :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

I'm pretty sure I have the file tucked away somewhere if anyone want's to 3D print one.

If you have that 3D model can you PM it to me? Cheers. I got a printer for Christmas so looking for some decent things to print.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

Joined the E Niro club today. Very happy. Now to get a charger. Mad to think I'll never own a ICE car ever again. Happy days.

The camera thing is crazy though - noticed it right away, instantly dirty after driving it around the block.

stiofan85 wrote: »
    Joined the E Niro club today. Very happy. Now to get a charger. Mad to think I'll never own a ICE car ever again. Happy days.

The camera thing is crazy though - noticed it right away, instantly dirty after driving it around the block.

Well wear, interested to know why you chose the e-Niro over say an Id.3 ?

• Advertisement

Congrats, you'll soon get into the habit of wiping the camera before each spin! Very annoying though when you want to reverse park at the end of your trip on a wet day as it's almost unusable. Think I'll go ahead and get the camwipe.

Lots of charge point options open to you but I'll just add that I'm very happy with the tethered EO mini from Electric Ireland. Final cost only €299 (€899-€600 grant). It's not the smart version but that's not needed as you can schedule from the Uvo app for the car itself. That's assuming you've bought new and got the 2020 "4" model as the earlier model isn't compatible with Uvo.

Well wear, interested to know why you chose the e-Niro over say an Id.3 ?

Price, battery/range, boot size (2 small kids), spec.

And a healthy dose of lockdown boredom. Genuinely, I think boredom accelerated the decision. We'd been looking at getting an EV for over a year. Ioniq was high on the list for a while, then got talking to a neighbour with a Kona, and he suggested the Niro for the range and boot space. Looked around, found one I liked, made a call and sure before I knew it a deal was done.

Price, battery/range, boot size (2 small kids), spec.

And a healthy dose of lockdown boredom. Genuinely, I think boredom accelerated the decision. We'd been looking at getting an EV for over a year. Ioniq was high on the list for a while, then got talking to a neighbour with a Kona, and he suggested the Niro for the range and boot space. Looked around, found one I liked, made a call and sure before I knew it a deal was done.

Is it that much larger than the id.3 ? and the difference in the id.3 long range tour isn't huge ?

Range is probably better than the e-niro too and much faster DC charging.

I think the id.3 tour is 41.5K so not sure how that differs from the e-niro, I heard the on the road price from dealers is higher than the site price as dealers take advantage of the short supply.

Is it that much larger than the id.3 ? and the difference in the id.3 long range tour isn't huge ?

Range is probably better than the e-niro too and much faster DC charging.

I think the id.3 tour is 41.5K so not sure how that differs from the e-niro, I heard the on the road price from dealers is higher than the site price as dealers take advantage of the short supply.
    Mine is 2019

Mine is 2019

I'm not that into the details tbh. Car, put in electricity, children and stuff. Move about relatively quickly. Less **** for environment. Can afford it. Looks okay.

The decision making process was not too detailed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭championc

For me, I wanted a car, not a spaceship.

Biggest boot and I took the first level of boot surrounds out and get an extra 4" of depth.

Fast charging only matters if you are maybe doing very long runs and cannot slow charge overnight but the range is huge. The 11kw charger gets 50% more charge in during the same duration as a 7kw charge.

How much larger is the e-niro boot compared to the id.3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jmpie

]Hi, I had a problem this morning on my 192 eNiro when driving the EV electrical systems warning light came on the dash and shortly after I noticed that the heating was cold. I checked the EV power screen and the heater was not drawing any power even when set to 25 Deg C on full fan. This EV systems failure light came on before Christmas also but I didn't notice the heater then. when I turn off the car and back on the problem is rest and the heater works again. Has anyone else seen this? The pictures below show the Warning light and the Heater not drawing power and then power being drawn after a restart of the car.

bthTfJ.jpg
    oXal0Y.jpg
    RVERwf.jpg

Test drive cancelled. Oh well, maybe they'll be doing test drives again in a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is there still an issue with supply of these?

Advertisement