Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you still use Address Pal

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭alan0387

civdef wrote: »
    Goods re-imported from repair should be exempt from VAT & Duty, but I had a look at the form I'd need to fill out before sending them away in the first place, 4 pages of official stamps and endorsements!

That's scandalous. Although I can't say it's surprising. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I find there is a culture here (in Ireland) of people wanting to squeeze the most out of each other. Not everyone is guilty of it, plenty of honest sellers and retailers but some do take the biscuit. Brexit has allowed certain business an opportunity to cash grab. An post is a big one, considering they charge €10 per customs handled package!

An example was me pricing the Tikka. I've had a spread of €620-€750 for a new .22lr w/ 20" barrel. I'd expect a spread of maybe €50 between retailers. But €130 difference for an identical product? That's a bit much...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

alan0387 wrote: »
    An example was me pricing the Tikka. I've had a spread of €620-€750 for a new .22lr w/ 20" barrel. I'd expect a spread of maybe €50 between retailers. But €130 difference for an identical product? That's a bit much...

Differences in price isn't always gouging. It often is, but sometimes it can be due to other factors.

It's possible that not every dealer bought the product at the same time and from the same supplier so maybe their purchase costs were different.

Depending on when it was bought, foreign currency fluctuations can also play a part in the cost price.

Also, a gun dealer who rents his premises or has a large mortgage on it will probably have to charge more than a gun dealer working from a premises he owns outright.

A dealer might have it in his inventory for many years and might reduce the price to help shift it.

There are many factors. But yeah, price gouging could be one of them.

Cass wrote: »
    That freaks me.

Other than being annoying i immediately move off the advert or site. Making me ring up will not encourage me to buy it.

This is true about absolutely anything online, not just shooting equipment, and I wish people voted with their wallets a bit more. Having to contact the supplier to get a price is a) a waste of everybody's time and b) a very obvious ploy to extract more money from certain customers.

There shouldn't be varying prices depending on who's doing the buying. You price it correctly and make a fair profit, or I won't be spending any further time or money on your goods.

I used to do procurement for a Public Sector organisation. Often we'd ask for quotes from a few suppliers, then select whichever was best value (cheapest doesn't always = best value). Every time we'd ask for their best price possible. And almost every time we'd get an improved offer from one of the losing bidders after their initial price was deemed excessive.

"Dear Company A, what's the lowest you can go on 50 boxes of a4 plain paper every 6 months"
    "we can supply it for €20+VAT per box"
    "Thanks, but we've decided to go with Company B"
    "Okay, well, how much did Company B say they'd sell it for, cos we can match their offer?"
    "So €20+VAT wasn't your lower offer then?.......What IS your lowest offer, out of interest?"
    ".....eh, whatever Company B is offering, minus 50c?"
    "bye bye"

Often, you'd get people retracting prices they'd already agreed upon. It took me a while to realise this was almost always when they discovered that they were dealing with a PS organisation. It's like the business equivalent of having a wedding. "so, those flowers will be €300 all in....where would you like them delivered?..........The Shelbourne?.......Are they for a wedding?......Well I'm afraid our wedding prices start at €500"

Infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭alan0387

$hifty wrote: »
    There shouldn't be varying prices depending on who's doing the buying. You price it correctly and make a fair profit, or I won't be spending any further time or money on your goods.

As you said, people finding out flowers for a wedding is a big example. Probably one of the best examples, same with any bouquet of flowers 2 weeks before valentines day vs within a week of it.

To be fair, Apple is one of those companies who insist on level pricing, only local taxes and exchange rates affect final price. For example on my honeymoon to New York in 2010 I bought an iPad gen 1. I got the WiFi & 3g model in 64gb. It was the top of the line one at the time, cost me $900, but they were €900 here because of tax differences and strong exchange rates. At the time it between €200-€250 of a saving.

I was told by the guys in BeOutdoors that MDT/Oryx are the same, they want buyers everywhere to have the same base price for the product. This strengthens their distributors positions, as they get a set profit off costs vs market value, and if there is no major saving vs buying from the company direct then the end user will buy from a local distributor for ease, speed and no lengthy customs process.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 frogone

I purchased a second hand fishing rod on EBay UK. It was second hand. Address pal opened the parcel. There was no invoice in the parcel so they estimated the value of the item. I got a bill and a vat charge. Can't remember how much it was. I did not pay it. Instead I took a screenshot of the completed deal I did On Ebay. The parcel was released shortly afterwards without paying anything.

Who and how did you send the screenshot to? I've just been sent a customs VAT charge for an item worth £17.99 (€20.93 @ today's rates) postage was free so it was under the €22 and now they want another €10.21 for it including the An Post fee. The item was valued at €29.20 The issue I have is I don't know what if any paperwork/invoice was in the box. I had the same idea as you i.e. send the eBay receipt but I couldn't find how or where to send it only redirected to Revenue's website :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

frogone wrote: »
    Who and how did you send the screenshot to? I've just been sent a customs VAT charge for an item worth £17.99 (€20.93 @ today's rates) postage was free so it was under the €22 and now they want another €10.21 for it including the An Post fee. The item was valued at €29.20 The issue I have is I don't know what if any paperwork/invoice was in the box. I had the same idea as you i.e. send the eBay receipt but I couldn't find how or where to send it only redirected to Revenue's website :rolleyes:

I was in a similar boat a few years ago and used this:
    swscd at revenue.ie

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    On ordering UK stuff...
    Apparently, as I understand it, if it is genuinely "made in the UK" it is not subject to import duties and VAT.If it is however made outside the UK and imported and then re-exported out to the EU again,then it is subject to customs and VAT?:confused:
    Might make a difference in future regarding ammo and Uk gun bits?

So let’s say a slab of Lyalvale, Hull, Gamebore or Eley 12g cartridges making their way into Ireland from a UK distributor; no VAT and duties.

A slab of RC, Sipe, Fiocchi or Mirage cartridges through the same channel; VAT and duties although they were made and exported from the EU in the first place ?

Ireland may be a relatively small market but I can see a nice little business here for especially a French or Belgian distributor since the direct connection ferry ports in the north of France are easily accessible from both countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭clivej

Just got this from Parcel Motel

........ "Is the UK virtual address still suspended?
    On December 28th, our virtual address service in the UK was suspended. Since then we have no longer accepted deliveries at the UK virtual address: 1a McKinney Road, Newtownabbey, UK. Our UK virtual address remains suspended but we are working hard to update our product offering in order to adapt to the latest trade requirements and better serve your shopping needs. We will be back in touch with further updates shortly".........

Advertisement