Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Necro Presents - Album Walrus REVEAL THREAD

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Zaph wrote: »
    You mean you won't be watching the mighty Leeds beat Leicester??? :eek:

I can do both :D

I'm free now but was giving others a chance to get online, have pretty much everything ready to go so can kick off earlier if preferred..

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,281 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'd say do whatever suits you best. You'll never have everyone online at the same time anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Mid table so far - have a feeling my choice for this category will do as well as that!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,351 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Zaph wrote: »
    You mean you won't be watching the mighty Leeds beat Leicester??? :eek:

Gents, forget your Leeds vs Leicester match, darts is where it is at ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ok ready to go in ten mins folks!!! Same format as before, thoughts first then the rankings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Gents, forget your Leeds vs Leicester match, darts is where it is at ;)
    You're both wrong, the international tiddlywinks final broadcast live from Heidelberg is on at half-one so... :P.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,281 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You're both wrong, the international tiddlywinks final broadcast live from Heidelberg is on at half-one so... :P.

Crap, I forgot about that. What channel is it on?

Pearl Jam - Gigaton submitted by Trigger

OIP.G1Td5GGcyB4-DbgcTKxnaAHaHa?pid=Api&rs=1

https://open.spotify.com/album/5bTixyz2GHx1YUqNUdzfut?si=gDVqjHXVSvelbeZzMUkJrQ

Highpoints – Dance of the Clairvoyants, Seven O’Clock, Never Destination

Cracking start to this album with the first two tracks. Dance of The Clairvoyants is one of my favourite songs of the last 4 or 5 years I think so listening to the album it’s on is just amazeballs. Interestingly after the rocking start the album mellows out a bit but the songs are every bit as good. It’s a great choice, really enjoyed all of this album.

AC/DC – POWER UP submitted by the purple tin

ACDC-Power-Up.jpg?quality=80

https://open.spotify.com/album/3bTNxJYk2bwdWBMtrjBxb0?si=SJobEbV6RnCMbnd8OurWWQ

Highpoints – Through The Mists of Time

Gotta say, enjoying the rock entries already this round. Kicking off with Pearl Jam and moving to this would brighten up any mans day! It’s very typical AC/DC fare – which is a good thing, because I love AC/DC :P Every song is pumping rock and it’s just great overall.

Adele - 25 submitted by JP Liz V1

Rc353a209e462594c19836ce79ebd3821?rik=luzRM8G%2fKaq4dg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fohtorch.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2016%2f01%2fadele25.jpg&ehk=BASMKZ7HBfpfpX6rBP0CpxDhqtbX5yc%2bLOZLsxMpGYY%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw

https://open.spotify.com/album/6TVfiWmo8KtflUAmkK9gGF?si=qJ1IOG7BTDCwu0oLhbeiQg

Highpoints – Hello, When We Were Young

I’m a huge Adele fan so have listened to this album a good few times as it happens. 21 is the better album for me, I wore that damn thing out and spent many nights on a pool table in my local howling out ‘Someone Like You’ – but let’s be fair because that’s not eligible for this category! Hello is an absolute BELTER of a starting track, I forgot I was in the office listening to it and was sitting there with arms outstretched and fists clenched lol. ‘Lights Go Down’ is very different Adele, but in a good way. The rest of the album is very easy listening, enjoyed it a lot.

• Advertisement

Arcade Fire – The Suburbs submitted by Zaph

R-2751600-1301254396.jpeg.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/album/3DrgM5X3yX1JP1liNLAOHI?si=UKo7BogzQb-AQ4KFU93tlg

Highpoints – Ready To Start

I have some trepidation going into this album, I’ve not heard a lot of Arcade Fire but what I’ve heard I wouldn’t be a fan of. But open mind, open soul and all that malarkey. Not blown away by the title track, it’s ok but not massively memorable. Ready To Start on the other hand, now we’re cooking with gas. The rest is… ok. I’m not blown away by it mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,723 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ooh, we're on

I am very apprehensive about this one. Listened to it a good bit this week, it's genuinely in contention for my favourite album. It's not for everyone though

Sparks - Hippopotamus submitted by Sawduck

sparks-hippopotamus-ab.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/album/1S6CN2iacm5MXUBqrHCzyS?si=hhlup1QrROyRO-YetAasUw

The first track had me very concerned. But it picks up nicely, I like the piano tinkles in the background of Missionary Position. Not sure I’m gone on the vocals at all though. It’s ok. Yeah, ok is a fair description of most of this album. Actually it gets considerably worse as it progresses - Giddy Giddy is a woebejaysus track with no redeeming features whatsoever. Nope, can’t do much more of it, really not a fan of this one at all. Sorry...

Robyn – Body Talk submitted by cee_jay

Robyn-Body-Talk-album-cover-web-optimised-820.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/album/0le9TO3kU69m6iWHTjNs9Y?si=AfnlbTbPRqOssl2zSONVhw

Highpoints – Dancing On My Own, Time Machine

Kicks off decently, again another very different vibe to this album. Definitely enjoying the technopop feel to it, Dancing On My Own is a brilliant track. Yeah this is really good, there’s a slight dip in Love Kills but the following songs are very good. Really like this which is surprising as what I knew of Robyn before listening was ‘With Every Heartbeat’ - and I wasn’t gone on it. But this album is excellent, enjoyed it.

Ben Bohmer – Live from Printworks submitted by Rikand

Ben-B%C3%B6hmer-Live-from-Printworks-London.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/album/02SXhQdAv0nVwbLgFNtlR0?si=fuzQmhDET6SYKq_XthNGXw

Highpoints – Dive

And now for something completely different! Starting track is really familiar, very mellow for a trance album too. Enjoying it so far. Tracks are a tad long but I like how it isn’t too severe on my sensitive eardrums :p Doesn’t feel massively like a live album either. There’s a bit of crowd noise here and there but it’s definitely interesting. I do like all of this, it’s very easy listening for an instrumental, and the tracks ebb and flow into each other very nicely.

Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2 submitted by RasTa

e0491b02.png

https://open.spotify.com/album/4Loc7NtCAo9mypHO6kbviD?si=7Qr9wa_RTV6YmHwAK58Snw

Oh some garage now, interesting. Hmmm on second thoughts and a brief google it seems to be rap/hip hop. Very vulgar which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Not getting anything from it though in all honesty. The rapping is… ok. Is that techno talk in the second track? I’m really struggling with this. I do like rap, just not these guys unfortunately.

Ed Sheeran - X submitted by Kolido

ed-sheeran-x.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/album/1xn54DMo2qIqBuMqHtUsFd?si=fhUmd7u1TUmNW6rl-HODyw

Highpoints – Sing, Photograph

Oh dear God, I had been avoiding this album like the plague. Ed is alright but I find his stuff so similar. Open mind, open soul though so no pre-judgement. Opening track is one I’m familiar with actually, it’s pretty decent. I like how this round for me has gone from rock, to mellow, to trance, to… erm.. Ed Sheeran so far. What’s next? Aqua Rebooted? Haha ok back to the review. Actually… this is great. Loving the second track, ‘I’m a Mess’. There’s a lot of variance to the pace and tone of the tracks – it’s actually a really good listen despite my earlier comments. Moving from Sing right through to Photograph as an eg they’re all very different tracks beatwise. Very good choice of album.

Enter Shikari – A Flash Flood of Colour submitted by Electric Nitwit

81616.jpeg

https://open.spotify.com/album/76IXbZGBiE2TuvUTceDmaL?si=Ixas317mT4upnagWGGCl2A

Highpoints – Ssnakepit

So much variance to the albums submitted. All of them have their quirks that I really enjoy...erm mostly anyways. Powerhouse starting tracks, absolutely vibing this so far. It kind of slides away from the heavier stuff as the album continues – to be honest, I enjoyed the heavier stuff as it masks the fact the main guy can’t sing all that well. Overall this is ok. First half of album much better, probably top of the pile if it had continued in that vein. Guitar work brilliant throughout mind. I foresee hard choices in the rankings in my future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,723 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Nice :)

Glad you liked it. I agree, Rou isn't a great singer in that sense but generally his voice fits the songs well. Constellations, the slow one at the end, isn't the best example though, the album could probably do without that. As you can probably imagine, they are batshït crazy live :D

Gary Numan – Savage (Songs from a Broken World) submitted by Irish Aris

R-10857811-1505471817-5887.jpeg.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/album/2d98ICB4Uin8lszUnnCwxo?si=LUdt3SX0Ta2CwpolXt-DNw

Highpoints – My Name is Ruin

Never even heard of Gary Numan before this apart from a brief couple of entries in one of my tournaments, so absolute clean slate going in here. Hmmm I’m not sure I’m gone on this in all honesty, it’s all a bit weird and ‘Joseph and his Technicolour Coat’ type music for me. His voice is good but I’m just not finding anything enjoyable about the tracks. They’re overly long too. Bed of Thorns as an eg while it’s only 5 minutes it feels like double that because of the pacing. My Name is Ruin on the other hand, that’s a brilliant track. Overall I’m just not sure, it drifts in and out for me and is on the cusp of being great but just falls short unfortunately.

• Advertisement

HAIM – Days Are Gone submitted by Also Starring LeVar Burton

faea8900.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/album/7CzrzGbCwqT8Y43tvIUPBX?si=3S5TSZIwRsK2BQKiDhBYug

Highpoints – Honey & I, Days Are Gone

Another band I haven’t the foggiest about, so clean slate here too. Nice poppy overtures to start with, again enough to stand out in this round, despite Adele and Ed’s protestations. First few tracks are nice, nothing exceptional though it’s kinda standard pop fare in all honesty. Honey & I is a great track mind, that’s much more like it. Yeah it picks up nicely from Honey & I, much more upbeat and less generic. Good entry.

My Indigo – My Indigo submitted by mustang shelly

My-Indigo.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/album/31WDbWmoydVEMa1QTZzFcv?si=bMBsbWSSQLyQyxhMhSI68g

Highpoints – Black Velvet Sun

Another album, another artist I know zip, zero, zilch about. Ok, starting track is the same name as the album, and artist – high expectations. Again a different tempo here, not necessarily a bad thing. Nope, the song is not blowing me away. Kind of has Sia vibes here, but not as good a voice.. Black Velvet Sun is decent mind.

Jessie Ware – What’s Your Pleasure? submitted by ShaneU

What%E2%80%99s%20Your%20Pleasure?_Jessie%20Ware.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/album/1CTm3ARqDETSm7GfvNYNJp?si=SqAwSrojQUmSSkT0ZEdeUA

Highpoints – Read My Lips

And another shift in tempo. Back to the more Adele-like… oh hang on. Some contemporary beats in here. Not sure I’m gone on it though. Reminds me a lot of an artist that I think had about one hit… Cassie, not sure if anyone remembers her. Read My Lips is my favourite track on the album, I like the RnB vibe to it.

And that's all 14 - Zaph and ShaneU delighted to see no duplicates I can imagine :P

Ok scores coming up shortly!

In 11th place with 4 points, and finishing on a score of 24.5 points overall....

What's Your Pleasure? - Jessie Ware

ShaneU!

The duplicate album probably hampered your chances unfortunately, if you add in those 6.5 points you would have ended on 31 which would be a great score.... speaking of Zaph...

In 10th place with 5 points, and finishing on 20.5 points overall...

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

Zaph!!

Joint 2nd, 6th and 10th in all three categories is not too shabby. Again the split points for Round 1 would have had you finish on 27 points which would be right up there too... but not to be this time.

Thank you both for entering!!

In 9th place with 6 points, and finishing on a total of 11 points....

Savage (Songs From a Broken World) - Gary Numan

Irish Aris!!

Sorry about your rankings, just a case of your choices not fitting with my own taste. I did enjoy Gary Numan though certainly, so thank you for that :)

In 8th place with 7 points, and finishing on 19 points overall...

25 - Adele

JP Liz V1!!!

Two very good entries after Bruce had you second from bottom in Round 1. Enjoyed Adele but I had listened to it before so it lost a few points based on that as it wasn't as new to me.

Thanks for playing both of you as well :D

In 7th place with 8 points, and finishing with 27 points which is the most so far....

Days Are Gone - HAIM

Also Starring LeVar Burton!

Really enjoyed the second round entry, it was an easy podium for me with all the classic tracks from nu-punk artists around the time. The other two entries were strong as well, though I simply preferred other albums in the rounds.

Skipping 6th place for now.....

In 5th place with 10 points - and equalling LeVar's overall score with another 27 points....

Ben Bohmer - Live at Anjunadeep Printworks

Rikand!!!

Three excellent entries, I didn't dislike any of your submissions, moreso I preferred others. I think this was my favourite of yours though as it came as somewhat of a surprise... though submitting Robbie Williams seemed to shock others :pac::pac::pac:

So Rikand and LeVar have the most points so far... can they be caught???

Thanks for the entries guys!

In 4th place - with 11 points and EQUALLING Rikand and LeVar overall on 27....

Body Talk - Robyn

cee_jay!!

Excellent albums submitted, Robyn my favourite of them all I think though all three were very good. Thanks for the entries :)

Dropping back the table now a bit and in 12th place with 13 points overall....

My Indigo - My Indigo

mustang shelly!!

I really liked your first entry, unfortunately the other two categories just weren't to my taste but thanks for playing as well :D

So that's cee_jay, Rikand and LeVar leading the pack presently, can they be overhauled??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Necro wrote: »
    So that's cee_jay, Rikand and LeVar leading the pack presently, can they be overhauled??

Well, obviously someone did. That's why you skipped 6th place... We can see through your tension building tactics at this stage... :D

• Advertisement

In THIRD place in this category and amassing 20 points overall

A Flash Flood of Colour - Enter Shikari

Electric Nitwit!

Third round was a charm after the first two didn't hit the target, we will get there eventually. ;) Thanks for the entries!

In 13th in this round but with a not too shabby overall tally of 23 points...

Hippopotamus - Sparks

Sawduck!!

The Tom Petty album is probably one of my fave entries overall that I hadn't heard prior. Just love it. Really enjoyed round 2 as well and your soundtrack, unfortunately Round 3 just didn't hit the mark.

Still leading the way are Rikand, LeVar and cee_jay on 27 points with

Trigger
    RasTa
    the purple tin
    Kolido

yet to still receive their scores...

Advertisement