Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Necro Presents - Album Walrus REVEAL THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Nice one necro, enjoyed not knowing the points till the end, it was a good idea.

I'm quietly confident on my next pick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Nice one Necs. Glad you enjoyed it.

Nearly 50 years old and it still sounds fresh.
    I was listening to Cillian Murphy's show earlier and he played a Velvet Underground track that sounded great, then said it was from 1970, so 50 years old. It's scary! :eek:

(I mean, it's well before my time, but even so it sounds crazy to hear the word fifty in that context!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Congrats purple and great reveal Necro. The 2 parts work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Really glad you liked the album :)

My next two albums feature very little vocal and might be more a long the lines of what EN, ASLB and Shelly were expecting :D

Well, one of them might be :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I forget what music you're into but I was sure Zappa would be last. Goes great with a spliff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Going to be another few days before I get Round 2 completed here folks. Between Alphabet Sheep this evening and a few other bits and pieces I'm only about halfway through. The albums in general are a bit longer too so taking up more time here than I anticipated.

Aiming for maybe Wednesday or Thursday evening next week.

I presume it's an unwritten rule of honour that if you picked a glorified compilation tape as your "soundtrack" that you're a dirty rotten scoundrel and any points earned will be tainted!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I presume it's an unwritten rule of honour that if you picked a glorified compilation tape as your "soundtrack" that you're a dirty rotten scoundrel and any points earned will be tainted!

Don't be so harsh on yourself EN, we all make mistakes...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Round 2 coming your way this evening from around 9.30pm!!!

Just remembered what I submitted for this and that you like nice vocals. I regret nothing :D

...but I am a little bit sorry :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Just remembered what I submitted for this and that you like nice vocals. I regret nothing :D

...but I am a little bit sorry :p

yeah, I don't expect much in this round either, I went for an original score, so unless Necro has seen and liked the film, bottom-3 here I come :D

Irish Aris wrote: »
    yeah, I don't expect much in this round either, I went for an original score, so unless Necro has seen and liked the film, bottom-3 here I come :D
    Oh wait, film scores! I was thinking of round 3

Oh, I went original score too, we're the purists Aris ;)
    I feel you need to know the film to like mine too, but it is a wonderful soundtrack

I regret nothing and I'm not sorry :D

I honestly didn't have any base for reference in this round. Film Soundtracks (other than musicals) aren't something I would listen to on a regular basis.

Some I loved, some I was very ambivalent to - others I'd not listen to again if you paid me :D

No duplicates this round so no split points, something ShaneU and Zaph will be relieved to hear :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I now regret my choice and wish I went for the one that I said would feel like cheating.

Ok kicking off in about 10 mins or so.

Same again. I'll be posting my thoughts on the albums then announcing the rankings.

American Wedding – The Soundtrack submitted by Also Starring LeVar Burton

517UdfNxN9L.jpg

Highpoints – The Anthem, The Hell Song

A great album and real throwback to the ‘nu-punk’ of the early noughties. It’s got all the offenders on board, Good Charlotte, Sum 41 etc. The movie was grand, the dance off in the gaybar being an absolutely brilliant highlight. The album itself is very strong for the first half, it does get a bit repetitive and samey by the time we roll into Sugarcult – Bouncing off the Walls. But all in all I really enjoyed it.

The Fountain OST submitted by Irish Aris

CLINT%20MANSELL%20The%20Fountain.jpg?itok=j3O9Hbxw

Couldn’t get into this at all. The opening track was fairly good but dragged on forever and I found the same issue with most of the tracks to be honest. Had they been half the length I would have really enjoyed this entry but to be honest I found myself looking at my watch and how much time was left on the album and just wanting it to be over.

Superfly OST submitted by the purple tin

curtis-super-fly-vinyl_640x.jpg?v=1547238304

Highpoints – Superfly, Pusherman

The first couple of tracks on this album were a chore, Curtis Mayfield’s voice just annoys me. It does improve a little as the album continues but it is again very much a chore to get through.

Dark Phoenix OST submitted by mustang shelly

tedcas.png

Highpoints – Reckless

First track takes 2 mins and 25 secs to get going in typical bloody Zimmer fashion. I like his music but jaysus he is some waffler when it comes to length of tracks. Reckless is a really good track mind, but again the sheer length of each song just irritates me.

Where the Wild Things Are OST submitted by Electric Nitwit

Wild_things_are_soundtrack.jpg

Ah lads, the humming at the start of the first track is doing my head in. Is this some sort of torture method? I mean I guess it’s ok. I’m not really vibing it much at all unfortunately. That humming is still annoying me throughout the album, it’s a really bad starting track. Yep… doesn’t improve much as I go deeper. Still annoyed by that humming :/

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    The Fountain OST submitted by Irish Aris

CLINT%20MANSELL%20The%20Fountain.jpg?itok=j3O9Hbxw

Couldn’t get into this at all. The opening track was fairly good but dragged on forever and I found the same issue with most of the tracks to be honest. Had they been half the length I would have really enjoyed this entry but to be honest I found myself looking at my watch and how much time was left on the album and just wanting it to be over.
    Interesting, I love the soundtrack to Requiem For A Dream, must give this one a listen

Where the Wild Things Are OST submitted by Electric Nitwit

Ah lads, the humming at the start of the first track is doing my head in. Is this some sort of torture method? I mean I guess it’s ok. I’m not really vibing it much at all unfortunately. That humming is still annoying me throughout the album, it’s a really bad starting track. Yep… doesn’t improve much as I go deeper. Still annoyed by that humming :/
    Well that went well :D
    Ah man, I love this soundtrack

Saturday Night Fever OST submitted by ShaneU

22baa05d.jpg

This is what I wanted, THIS is what I’m talking about in terms of soundtracks. Iconic music from the movies. This starts off with an absolute banger in Stayin Alive and you just get all sorts of happy vibes from the music compared to the dark depressing albums I’ve already listened to. Great choice.

8 Mile OST submitted by Trigger

R-11080373-1509549230-3494.jpeg.jpg

Highpoints – Lose Yourself, Rap Game, 8 Mile

Starts so well with the title track. It keeps up that momentum more or less throughout though some of the tracks are just very poor to be honest. High points make it stand out much more than some of the others mind.

Baz Luhrman’s Romeo & Juliet submitted by cee_jay

hqdefault.jpg

Highpoints – Lovefool, O Verona

Much better start to this, getting an epic feel from the music. The music is nicely modernised, shame they borked the movie by keeping the language Shakespearan and modernising literally EVERYTHING else – ok ok, rant over, it’s the music you’re judging here Necro. Overall a decent experience, would listen again.

Footloose OST submitted by Kolido

81q9oUvUqLL._SY450_.jpg

Ah like Saturday Night Fever before it, this is a great choice. Both absolutely and unequivocally 80s classics. Overall I think it’s fair to say Footloose isn’t as strong as Night Fever throughout. Still good mind, and very very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Well that went well :D
    Ah man, I love this soundtrack

I guess it's me against you for last place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Baz Luhrman’s Romeo & Juliet submitted by cee_jay

Highpoints – Lovefool, O Verona

Much better start to this, getting an epic feel from the music. The music is nicely modernised, shame they borked the movie by keeping the language Shakespearan and modernising literally EVERYTHING else – ok ok, rant over, it’s the music you’re judging here Necro. Overall a decent experience, would listen again.

There's too much Shakespeare in this Shakespeare... :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I guess it's me against you for last place :D

Don't be so hasty, mine hasn't been torn apart yet. :D

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    Don't be so hasty, mine hasn't been torn apart yet. :D

Funny you should mention that...

Lost in Translation OST submitted by Zaph

ca7ec7523c45b106197529c55afa6dc2.jpg

This was a very enjoyable listen for an instrumental, or the start of the album at least. Songs not too long in length and very mellow, laidback vibes. I do like how it ramps into some funk midway through as well.

Advertisement