Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upgrade Ford SYNC 2 to SYNC 3?

• 19-09-2020 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Got a great new Ford but unfortunately has sync version 2 and really wanted to use google maps and waze instead.
    Local Ford garage told me it can't be done but the Internet clearly states otherwise.
    Does anybody know of anyone in Ireland offering this service?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Got a great new Ford but unfortunately has sync version 2 and really wanted to use google maps and waze instead.
    Local Ford garage told me it can't be done but the Internet clearly states otherwise.
    Does anybody know of anyone in Ireland offering this service?
    Thanks

How's it going? I have a 15 Mondeo Titanium 2.0 here the past 2 months and currently in the process of upgrading to Sync 3 from Sync 2.

Don't mind the dealer, they couldn't be bothered with upgrading it.

Some places (ebay, amazon etc,) are asking crazy money for used sync 3 units so stay clear if you havent already.

What you need:
    Sync 3 unit (APIM & Display)
    GPS Antenna (sync 3 isn't compatible with stock antenna)
    USB hub (sync 2 hub is not compatible with carplay)
    Power connector (basically connector for the new hub)
    USB ELM (for use with forscan software to code after installation)

Ireland is a bit slow to the party from what im gathering (great for us!)- I'm after picking up a Sync 3 APIM and display for 320 euro delivered out of a 2019 Kuga from a breakers yard. Some places are asking for 700 pounds for the exact same thing!

Going with Ford directly for the GPS Antenna, Hub and Power connector just for peace of mind. Heard a few people saying the cheap chinese antennas give up the ghost pretty early on.

Any other questions fire ahead, if you havent got sorted already!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

That's crazy!
    It's like you've been reading my mind!

I found a youtube video where a guy does it in his focus, and saw he has a website where he gives tutorials and sells all the components needed. It is very indepth, but unfortunately the parts are expensive and all the way over in canada.

I thought of going the breakers yard route but figured they would see me coming a mile away and fleece me.
    Which breakers yard did you use?

That's crazy!
    It's like you've been reading my mind!

I found a youtube video where a guy does it in his focus, and saw he has a website where he gives tutorials and sells all the components needed. It is very indepth, but unfortunately the parts are expensive and all the way over in canada.

I thought of going the breakers yard route but figured they would see me coming a mile away and fleece me.
    Which breakers yard did you use?

haha that's mad!

Yeah the US/Canada and even UK seem to be charging crazy money and now with this Brexit sh!te it won't help..

I thought the very same as yourself with the breakers yards but it's always worth giving them a ring if you see anything pop up.

I used Findapart.ie and just go into manual search and have a look at the Fords. I got mine out of a 2019 Kuga but just make sure whatever car you get the Sync 3 unit out of to try get the VIN no. for updates. If you don't get it though don't worry you'll easily find the update files on google.

What ford have you got?

haha that's mad!

Yeah the US/Canada and even UK seem to be charging crazy money and now with this Brexit sh!te it won't help..

I thought the very same as yourself with the breakers yards but it's always worth giving them a ring if you see anything pop up.

I used Findapart.ie and just go into manual search and have a look at the Fords. I got mine out of a 2019 Kuga but just make sure whatever car you get the Sync 3 unit out of to try get the VIN no. for updates. If you don't get it though don't worry you'll easily find the update files on google.

What ford have you got?

I'm using an s-max.
    It's a uk import and i thought that since the sync 3 roll out started in 2015 that i would be safe getting a 2016 plate but obviously this was ordered/manufactured before the changeover.

I had actually started to make peace with the crap sat nav but the uptake of waze during the lockdown has made me change my mind again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Hi guys, I am in the process of this changeover myself and was wondering did you need to reprogramme the apim with forscan or m did it work fine when you changed the apim and USB?

• Advertisement

I couldn't get the elm to work but when i connected the power to the new unit, it worked fine so i just left the software as is!

I'm having a terrible time of it. I changed the apim and now i don't have use of the steering wheel controls and a few other things.

All the info I can find points to ford forums but they all point to forscan though i am not sure how to make forscan correct these issues.

Any advice @Mightydrumming ?

Hi there, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Sometimes it needs a bit of a fiddle with forscan, shouldn't be anything major. If you are on facebook let me know and I will add you to a group. It's for MK5 Mondeo's but I will point you in the direction of a man in the UK. He's a wiz with forscan especially with the change over from Sync 2 to Sync 3. He can do it through teamviewer but he has done a whole go of stuff for lads on the group.

Let me know!

Sorry I'm only seeing this now.

Yes please I'd love you to ad me to that group.

All these videos making it look easy, and ofcourse it never happens like in the videos

Hi mate, any chance I can get into that group too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

I've done the Sync 1 to Sync 3 upgrade in my Focus recently if anyone has any questions.

With Sync 2 to Sync 3 it a plug and play swap I'm fairly sure, just need to program the Central config to tell the car it now has Sync 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

I’m looking into this myself at the moment, trying to decide between getting the parts to do myself or paying for a third party system installed. I’d prefer the actual sync system integrated into the dash rather than something that looks bolted on after the fact.

Did you source the parts yourself from breakers etc or get a whole kit somewhere? How much did the whole setup cost? How approachable is it? I’ve built computers and stuff before, but never tinkered with a car, and not much in depth electronic knowledge. Do you think I’d manage following one of the YouTube videos? Does the system integrate properly with other car controls (steering wheel buttons etc) or are there workarounds you have to use?

Thanks

Advertisement