Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Mojo And Covid

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

cee_jay wrote: »
    @Gloomtastic, I might take you up on that challenge this Sunday - however, I've just seen fondant potatoes on What I had for dinner thread, and have never tried them, so might do those!

They're super tasty :D I very roughly followed this recipe if it's any use:
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/fondant-potatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I find youtube quite good for ideas ,plus you can see what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

woodchuck wrote: »
    They're super tasty :D I very roughly followed this recipe if it's any use:
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/fondant-potatoes

It was your fondants that made me think of hasselbacks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do! I'm working up to cooking this weekend and in preparation I took today off and didn't even order a takeaway. I love roast dinners and love cooking them, but sometimes I just love having one served up to me. Pre Covid a local hotel did a great one. So I have tonight sunk to a Chef in the Box roast dinner and I feel no shame.:D Saturday and Sundays dinners are planned and I'm still buying Irish.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I miss dawdling while I did a food shop. Himself used to *hate* that, where I like browsing for inspiration. I'm trying to plan baking a new thing more often, but the freezer is only so big.

My new plan is to get smaller baking tins. I miss making cake and bringing them to (the undeserving* bastards in) the office, so I'm hoping making small cakes for me will keep me entertained.

*ok, some of them did deserve cake...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I dawdle online instead :o
    I start a new online delivery as soon as we get one - just to reserve the slot, and add in 6 bottles of wine for this, along with the basics from every shop (milk, bread, etc.). Then a few times over the week, I log in and add stuff as I think of it, remove some of the wine, and change things around before the final cut off the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Jeez Foodies, youse have it real bad! :eek:

I think cooking new things might help. Doing same old, same old means you can get stuck in the doldrums. The BBC food site is fantastic for different ideas. As you are probably aware, I swear by it. :rolleyes:

This is key, cooking the same stuff all the time just leads to boredom. In the first lockdown back in March/April I loaded up on all the key ingredients needed for Chinese cooking and watched Youtube vids for five different dishes to try them out. Since then I regularly cook three of them, they're restaurant quality and far better than a takeaway and I really look forward to making them even if it is a fair bit of prep before cooking begins. Im happy out that I can now cook 3 excellent Chinese dishes to a really good standard and there was a great sense of achievement from it.

In this lockdown Mexican has been my theme and its been a revelation. Ive always loved Mexican food in restaurants but had never cooked it at home. Thats all changed now, Ive done six different Mexican dishes in the last few months and at least three of them are now added to the regular rotation. Cooked cochinta pibil (mexican pulled pork) for the third time during the week and between that, the corn tortillas, guacamole and pico de gallo the flavours were absolutely banging, I couldnt get enough of it. Ive a kilo of it still in the freezer and cant wait to get stuck into it next week.

So thats my advice for anyone bored of what they're eating during lockdown. Choose an ethnic food group, watch some vids on Youtube and then load up on the ingredients that are common across many recipes. Then go and experiment, its a lot of fun and you'll end up with some really nice dishes added to your repertoire. After Im done with the Mexican Im going to move onto Middle Eastern food and Im already looking forward to that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

cee_jay wrote: »
    Then a few times over the week, I log in and add stuff as I think of it, remove some of the wine, and change things around before the final cut off the day before.

REMOVE some of the wine? :confused: I have never heard of such witchcraft.

Advertisement