Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Andrew Neil is a great presenter but the Murdoch thing is a bit concerning.

Anything which doesnt bow down to the far left vocal minority is good to me.

I say that as someone who holds liberal views and considered myself left wing before the lunatics took over the asylum in about 2013.
    Since we're dealing specifically with the news side of things, as that is what this proposed new station will be covering, I'm not sure that's been a particular issue for the BBC?

For instance, the last two holders of the role of Political Editor were Andrew Marr and Nick Robinson, both overtly Conservative, while the present incumbent is Laura Kuenssberg whose reporting has frequently been criticised as having a pro-Conservative Party bias. When complaints against her have been formalised, the rulings have gone in both directions over the last number of years.

Newsnight wise, even in the face of Dominic Cummings actions and the public reaction to them, Emily Maitlis was still found to have breached impartiality guidelines when she interviewed him back in May.

Sure, there is plenty to criticise the corporation about but I'd argue there are mechanisms in place where political biases can be monitored and actioned where appropriate. What I think would be incredibly detrimental to political discourse, however, is the creation of a station where the Prime Minister, his cabinet or indeed any representative from the political parties would feel "safer" appearing on than the BBC by design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

gizmo wrote: »
    Yea, about that...

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1309903624374546433

While the appointments don't appear to be confirmed yet, if the story does prove to be true and Johnson is considering these individuals, this kind of move doesn't exactly inspire confidence if the proposed solution to a bias in one direction is met by a series of appointments which, on the surface, would indicate a hard swing in the other direction.

Well that's me exposed for my naiveity! Looks quite like they knew that changes were in the air. Dominick Cummings fingerprints all over this and it's not as if they don't talk to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Try to be more patronising there, listermint. I don’t think you’ll succeed, you maxed out.

Ah I see. Can't tackle the facts so go after the poster. You be calling me woke next ?

Absolute sham.

What is it praytell you are so oppressed about that you need to kneel at the alter of libertarian warlocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

I say that as someone who holds liberal views and considered myself left wing before the lunatics took over the asylum in about 2013.
    Yes I agree. I have slight reservations but the appointment of Andrew Neil is a good thing as he is quite a fair interviewer at least.

imme wrote: »
    "undeserved and unheard people"

Are members of the public going to contact them and tell them what news is to be news.

The news is the news.

More trump style rubbish.

Will Neil give his hair a wash before the launch.

It's the same ****e as the tax payers alliance. A group that actually won't allow you to join or donate to them as a tax payer and refuses to publish a funders list.

People get a hard on for the content that these nutter butters put out with absolutely no coherent evaluation of who they are.

• Advertisement

Yada yada yada. Theres no vocal left representation in the media whatsoever this is nonsense

Yes I agree. I have slight reservations but the appointment of Andrew Neil is a good thing as he is quite a fair interviewer at least.

If Andrew Neil was from Dublin and rubbing shoulders with the absolute wealthy be rubs shoulders with you'd shoot him down.

It would be all rte this and rte that. There's no basis for the commentary . It's irrational.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It's good to see that Andrew Neil has confirmed on Twitter that GB News won't be anything like Fox News.

I also wasn't meant to put myself into a position where I would the promote the far right. That was not the intention of my previous post. I was just concerned that opinions being expressed on GB News would become too overtly divisive to get a clearer picture of the overall context of a particular right leaning agenda. That's all.

The type of political views that would come from the far right are very toxic. It does make sense in that they become toxic when you don't get that reassuring message from the people who express them. The sort of opinions that come from the far right who say they are anti-immigrant, anti-integration & anti-gay does give you an remarkable impression in how they are viewed in an overall society. It makes the people who express them, in front of the eyes of the innocent, become purposefully ignorant about in how life is supposed to work in reality. People who are on the far right who give those opinions on various platforms to the public, can skew their message to them when others don't realize it's full consequences of their actions. That is why I think the far right is toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come i.e. Andrew Neil trashing my least favourite (to put it mildly) lefty political commentator Mr James O'Brien. He knows how to put someone in their place.

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1309958880567480321

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Possible seismic shift in direction at Ofcom and the BBC

Former editor's of the Mail and Daily Telegraph in the running for top jobs

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/sep/26/pm-offers-top-media-body-jobs-to-critics-of-bbc-say-reports

• Advertisement

Another far right outlet parroting white victimhood and ethnic nationalism. Joy.

Are there so many "far right " UK tv stations that this makes you so weary and apathetic? I can't think of a single one. Andrew Neil would never be someone I would think of as "far right".

Is that the same "far right" that includes JK Rowling, Graham Linehan and Salman Rushdie?

Already part of this discussion :)

What people tend to overlook or don't know is that Ofcoms's primary role is not monitoring or shaping broadcast content it's setting technical standards, consumer protection, making decisions on public and industry complaints and setting out a map for the development of broadcasting and telecommunications (and the post!)

Cameron wanted to reduce the bodies role, to concentrate on the technical aspects in 2009, with everything else pushing into the "Dept of Fun" with the obvious implications for ministerial interference. Maybe this government will revisit that idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

listermint wrote: »
    If Andrew Neil was from Dublin and rubbing shoulders with the absolute wealthy be rubs shoulders with you'd shoot him down.

It would be all rte this and rte that. There's no basis for the commentary . It's irrational.

Go through my posts and see if I have ever 'shot down' any Rte employees. Hint, I haven't. You are talking nonsense, and putting words in my mouth. He is a good, fair interviewer, whether you like him or not. Probably Britain's best at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Are there so many "far right " UK tv stations that this makes you so weary and apathetic? I can't think of a single one. Andrew Neil would never be someone I would think of as "far right".

Is that the same "far right" that includes JK Rowling, Graham Linehan and Salman Rushdie?

You won’t get an answer. It’s an inconvenient truth that many vocal commentators come from across the political spectrum. Easier to box them all off as “far-right”.

A century ago the left were looking to seize the means of production.
    In the 21st century the right want to seize the means of the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Will be intersting to see whether thhe channel will be rightwing on an american sense (climate change denial, somewhat anti-science, religious conservative) or more uk right wing press ( pro- brexit, anti-immigration, not religous, somewhat nationalistic). I dont see many american right wing pundits appearing on tv with Andrew Neil in the future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

God I used to be one of those "everything I don't like is far right" people. Thank feck I grew up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,440 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Look forward to this channel hopefully it will be available here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

No doubt GB News it will be available in Ireland on Russian satellites.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Not long to go now

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1355168154574577664

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

From what I've seen of Andrew Neil he strikes me as a straight shooter, I like him. I'll definitely check it out, best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DeadHand

This could be a timely antidote to the naked progressivist bias that characterises much of the current media establishment on theses islands.

Dissenting voices are needed and need a platform.

Looking forward to it, I will be watching.

Its as if the right wing dont have any voice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

Yes. For far too long the voice of the white middle class has been suppressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭francois

DeadHand wrote: »
    This could be a timely antidote to the naked progressivist bias that characterises much of the current media establishment on theses islands.

Dissenting voices are needed and need a platform.

Looking forward to it, I will be watching.

In other words a bit of confirmation bias. The fact that both the left and right constantly whinge about the BBC means they're doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

tigger123 wrote: »
    Yes. For far too long the voice of the white middle class has been suppressed.
    White middle class people, ewwwwwwww

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

francois wrote: »
    In other words a bit of confirmation bias. The fact that both the left and right constantly whinge about the BBC means they're doing something right.

Exactly Alistair Campbell was on Pat Kenny complaining that the BBC were going to easy on Johnson.
    The BBC get hit from both sides so maybe you're right, it proves they're at least trying to be impartial.
    GB news will just be the TV equivalent of the Sun or the Telegraph.
    Even the name smacks of nationalistic nonsense. The country is the UK not GB,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

It sounds like it might have a chat show hosted by Alan Partridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

If it goes full on like Fox News, with their own version of shows like Fox & Friends, I wonder how they will frame issues and politics in Northern Ireland? Will the likes of Sammy Wilson be regular guests? How would those on this thread looking forward to this channel feel if there is an anti Nationalist bias?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

joe40 wrote: »
    Even the name smacks of nationalistic nonsense. The country is the UK not GB,

And you just know someone is going to say something like "Lets put the Great back in Britain" or "Make Britain Great again" on day one, as if the Great in GB doesn't actually mean Big rather than Brilliant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement