Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caravan lock

Options
  • 20-11-2020 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been covered before, but first time poster in this forum.

Just purchased a 2005 Coachman Pastiche 520/4 and the Hartal door lock won't lock from outside.

Is it an easy job to swap out the lock or barrel?

Is a master key required to remove it?

Do any of you have a Fiamma device fitted over the door lock? Easy to fit?

Who would be best to have call to look at locks / fitting a Fiamma? Caravan just stored for winter and not moving it. Intend using it as a home office for the next 6 months.

Separately, what would you consider minimum effective protection on an Alko hitch and the wheel? I see Tradewest.ie with a hitch and wheel combo for €45 but brief YouTube scan tells me that 3 minutes with an angle grinder would be the death of it.

Is there anyone who does mobile servicing of caravans in the Midlands?

Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

I've switched out door locks in my time and its really simple, though the door was open... if you can access the inside it's 15 minute work, max....

as to hitch or wheel locks, if 15 minutes with a grinder doesn't wake you up, then frankly nothing short of a bunker will keep it safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you're keeping it on your driveway or hardstanding, you can install a ground anchor easily enough and then lock the caravan to that using a heavy motorcycle chain around an axle or around the a-frame. A lot more secure than a wheel clamp or hitch lock but the aim is just to make it difficult so people move on, the more things to out them off the better. If they really want it they will get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I've switched out door locks in my time and its really simple, though the door was open... if you can access the inside it's 15 minute work, max....

as to hitch or wheel locks, if 15 minutes with a grinder doesn't wake you up, then frankly nothing short of a bunker will keep it safe!

Appreciate that. Will change the lock and also fit a Fiamma across the lock as it seems they're a good job to stop prising.

If I'm miles away in my car, waking up would be a non issue. If I'm there, it'd be a non issue. Just to slow someone down especially if they've already done their surveillance...

I think an approved Hitchlock, and a motorcycle chain (which I have) to something will be a good start. Already have security cameras using Alfred and 2 trailcams.

Thanks for the tips and input so far.

Can anyone recommend someone who covers the Midlands who would do onsite servicing of a touring caravan? Gas, electric service etc

Bump.

Would be very grateful for any help re a mobile service to service a caravan. Midlands based.

Need someone registered for gas and electric who can make it safe for use. Perhaps also advise on using the water system, especially in winter.

Total caravan newbie here. Coachman Pastiche 2004.

• Advertisement

Bump.

Can anyone recommend anyone who does onsite gas servicing (and electrics) of caravans in the Midlands?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

As far as I know there are no mobile caravan service engineers in the country. There are one or two up north but if say it would cost double for them to travel that far. Depending on where you are Charles camping or maynooth motorhomes would be your best bet.

Regarding the security the best thing is to have it insured and have whatever security is required by the insurance. No matter what you use it will take less than 10 minutes for them to take it. As others have said if you make it inconvenient they will hopefully move on.

Advertisement