Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift Register

Options
  • 22-01-2021 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Thinking of putting together a gift register as I love the idea of receiving a gift from friends/family and remembering them for it. Also allows for anyone who can’t come due to reduced numbers to still give a gift that I’d actually use. (Got a lot of tacky pieces for engagement that went to charity so was waste of people’s money)

Himself isn’t too gone on idea. Would rather the cash but I’m more sentimental.

My mother loves the idea as it takes pressure of older people to have to pick themselves. Will have a good few older guests aunts etc who will give gifts (but would pick badly). Hence why I’d like to use it. (And yes they’ll still go even with covid, as they are all mad for a day out)

If anyone has used a particular gift register service would love to hear how it went.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Depends on whether it's the norm in your area or not. Where I am, it's non existent so would get a bit of a side eye from people. It's down to personal tastes as well. You might consider it practical, others might consider it rude.

Then there's the accessibility of it all - many older guests wouldn't be comfortable with online shopping at all so will avoid it. Thinking about my older generation of guests, all of them would be like this. If you pick a physical store then it needs to be somewhere they can physically go to and buy something off your list.

Or just do the Irish Gift Registry - which is to get your mother /MIL to spread the word about what you'd prefer - gift card for X shop, cash etc and then let your guests be guided (or not) by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

We had an Amazon.co.uk one on our wedding website. Only people on Mrs Pen Rua's side (USA) used it because it's what's the norm there. No Irish guests went near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Thanks for the comments on this, good point on using physical shop over online. Probably go with Arnotts or BTs as they have good selection of home wares.

None of my friends/colleagues have used a gift list it’s actually years since I have seen one being done. I’m known for being materialistic though so I don’t think it would surprise anyone.

I’m also very practical so I do hate the thought of someone wasting money on a gift that will never be appreciated and used. (Hence I never ever do kris kindle)

I was curious as to what people who want gift registers do. So I had a Google. The below site is for homeware and decor. It might be of interest to you OP.

https://prezola.com/

I was curious as to what people who want gift registers do. So I had a Google. The below site is for homeware and decor. It might be of interest to you OP.

https://prezola.com/

Thanks for that, has a lot of lovely items perfect for a new home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I had a couple of friends who had registries but left their parents to mention it if asked did the couple need anything. None of us friends knew about it because we all just gave cash as standard but the older relatives mostly purchased from it. If you do one, make sure you cater for all budgets.
    I think Irish people get very offended when asked for a gift so if your parents or siblings are the chatty type, they could maybe let family members know. I would imagine most younger people will stick with cash gifts.

I had a couple of friends who had registries but left their parents to mention it if asked did the couple need anything. None of us friends knew about it because we all just gave cash as standard but the older relatives mostly purchased from it. If you do one, make sure you cater for all budgets.
    I think Irish people get very offended when asked for a gift so if your parents or siblings are the chatty type, they could maybe let family members know. I would imagine most younger people will stick with cash gifts.

Yes mainly will be aimed at older guests (even if they can’t be invited) and my siblings! They’re better halves are clueless when it comes to gifts and so I’d like to steer them in right direction. Even if they do t buy from it at least they get an idea as how much to spend etc.

Will definitely mix and match prices so people can go big or small or combine two smaller items, I remember that being useful before.

Basically I’m compiling my dream homewares list, even if no one ever looks at it at least I’ll know what to get for house once we move in together!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Teach30 wrote: »
    Yes mainly will be aimed at older guests (even if they can’t be invited) and my siblings! They’re better halves are clueless when it comes to gifts and so I’d like to steer them in right direction. Even if they do t buy from it at least they get an idea as how much to spend etc.

I wouldn't send a gift registry link to someone you don't plan on inviting, unless they ask you specifically.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

We had no gift list.

We were just silent on it and our parents said to the odd older aunt or uncle who asked that “they pretty much have everything, such is the way these days”.

So we never asked for cash but got cash from probably 158 people out of 160.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'd feel a bit funny about sending a gift registry to someone who won't be at my wedding. I know at the moment a lot of people who normally would be there can't be for various reasons and some of them will still want to send you something which is lovely but I'd wait until they say it to me first.

I know you've said OP that you need stuff for your home hence the registry in the first place but if you get cash you can always put that towards homewares too and you won't be restricted to one shop. But I appreciate a lot of older people like to give a physical gift - I'm just wondering if that would still be the case if they can't go in a choose it for themselves if that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

Wow

Surely the decision re how much to spend is based on what they can afford and what they want to spend, not what you add to your wishlist?

Wow

Surely the decision re how much to spend is based on what they can afford and what they want to spend, not what you add to your wishlist?

A gift list is a guide they don’t have to use it. Be better they spend their money on something useful no?
    Anyone related to us will be giving €200+ so better to steer them in right direction with list than end up with useless items as per engagement gifts I got. (Photo frames, white towels, glass candlesticks etc, all awful stuff that I sent to charity)

Neyite wrote: »
    I wouldn't send a gift registry link to someone you don't plan on inviting, unless they ask you specifically.

They’ll all be invited we had 280 on original list but if it’s still at 6 well then no one will be coming.

Anyone related to us will still give a generous gift that’s just normal.

I know my parents would give €300+ to close neighbours in a normal year (more if they do work for us) so it’s expected that many of them would give a gift or cash. Not expecting a good return as there’ll be no meal now for them if it’s 6 or 25 but they’ll def give something so gift list a good way to hint heavily as to what’s needed.

If they dont use it that’s grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

A gift list is a guide they don’t have to use it. Be better they spend their money on something useful no?
    Anyone related to us will be giving €200+ so better to steer them in right direction with list than end up with useless items as per engagement gifts I got. (Photo frames, white towels, glass candlesticks etc, all awful stuff that I send to charity)

Then why didn't you ask people not to get you a gift????
    How about no gifts for your wedding? Why isn't that an option?
    How about get married to the person you love and not put your family and friends under pressure to spend money? €200+ isn't easy for everyone.

If you get something, great, but don't moan like a 10year old because you didn't like it.

These people are your friends and family.

Anyone related to us will be giving €200+ so better to steer them in right direction with list than end up with useless items as per engagement gifts I got. (Photo frames, white towels, glass candlesticks etc, all awful stuff that I sent to charity)

I hope they don’t use boards. I’m sure those gifts were given in good faith. Fair enough you don’t have a use for them but to call them awful is a bit much. Be a bit more appreciative that you have so many people who wish you and your fiancé well.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

The whole point of a wedding is a day to celebrate an official joining of you and your significant other. Any gifts you do receive are a bonus no matter what they are, myself and wife were happy with what ever people were generous enough to give as we wanted them there over gifts.

It is a bit crass and belittling saying that some gifts that people may give are tacky and waste of money. Granted they may not be to your taste, however many people have limited spending ability especially these days and may have only had that small bit of money for gift provided at your engagement. Also an idea of placing an online assigned shopping list for people to buy from or use to buy similar is also an awful idea and could put a lot of pressure on that person/couple to get you what you have listed while they may not have the funds for this.

As for the last part of asking for gifts from people you are not inviting.......that is shameful behavior. I would implore you to give up the gift registry idea as you may offend many with this idea, also don't ask for gifts but be grateful if you do receive anything.

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    Then why didn't you ask people not to get you a gift????
    How about no gifts for your wedding? Why isn't that an option?
    How about get married to the person you love and not put your family and friends under pressure to spend money? €200+ isn't easy for everyone.

If you get something, great, but don't moan like a 10year old because you didn't like it.

These people are your friends and family.

Not moaning at all just such a waste of their own money much better if there giving something to give something useful.

Everyone is going to give something they wouldn’t be stuck for it at all. They’re all working with good jobs or else retired with fine pensions.

I’m only being practical. I’ve never heard of someone giving nothing. I’ve siblings married and people who didnt go still gave cash, this would be people who’d do work for us. So it’s normal to return the favour around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Neyite wrote: »

Pre-covid i noted certain people would invite everyone they could and then those invitees who would not whant to go or couldn't go would give a gift and make their excuses.
    Is that something that will happen now where one sends a "I would have invited you if it weren't for covid" embosses card with the recipient expected to peruse a prescribed list in order to purchase the cheapest item.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

Giving an indication of things you would particularly like is one thing. But saying that the gift list will give them an idea of what to spend is abhorrent.

It is a bit crass and belittling saying that some gifts that people may give are tacky and waste of money. Granted they may not be to your taste, however many people have limited spending ability especially these days and may have only had that small bit of money for gift provided at your engagement. Also an idea of placing an online assigned shopping list for people to buy from or use to buy similar is also an awful idea and could put a lot of pressure on that person/couple to get you what you have listed while they may not have the funds for this.

As for the last part of asking for gifts from people you are not inviting.......that is shameful behavior. I would implore you to give up the gift registry idea as you may offend many with this idea, also don't ask for gifts but be grateful if you do receive anything.

Anyone we know is working with well paying jobs, aunts and uncles of mine are retired with v good pensions so money not an issue for us or them. They’re all very well off. So no one is under any pressure whatsoever.

Look in reality neighbours, friends etc will all return the favour and give back what we gave at their weddings that’s very much the norm.
    I’d always give €200-350 at any wedding I attend depending on relationship with the person.

We know people will return the favour so this is damage limitation particularly for the older guests and neighbours. I know anyone our own age and cousins will give a cheque or cash.

• Advertisement

Giving an indication of things you would particularly like is one thing. But saying that the gift list will give them an idea of what to spend is abhorrent.

I’d only love if more people would have a list as I hate having to pick Something I think people will like.

Do you not hate when you give an engagement gift and your trying to make up to x amount and end up buying two or three things that are neither here nor there. Or else you end up spending more than you would have in the first place in order to give something decent - maybe I just overthink things?

A list would totally take the pressure off whether buying an engagement or wedding gift.

Also I’m know for being materialistic so it’s not going to surprise anyone, if it does anything it would ensure people are under less pressure to pick for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP I think the reason you don't see gift registers very often anymore is that the couple are living together and often have all the material things that used to be given to help a couple start up a new home together. My brother had one as they hadn't lived together but that was 18 years ago now.

I think using it to give people an idea as to the kind of thing you'd like *if* they're going to give you a gift is fine but using it to give an idea of spending amount is a bit much. What's the lowest price thing you'll have on it? Because if that is too high, then you might find you're getting presents from people not from the register as they can't afford it. For example I remember my brother's had things ranging from about €20 to about €150. Lots of range. Whereas there was a girl I worked with about 11 years ago who got married & had her register in BT's. Cheapest thing on it was €60 and that was a salt shaker. The matching pepper was another €60. None of us were on big money at the time (she was from a wealthy family though), & ended up with a couple of friends having to go together to get something that they could actually afford. I mean there was a chandelier for €950 on it!

I think you're expecting a lot that neighbours etc will give what you gave. Your amount is really generous but you don't give it to get it back. I just about gave that to people who I'm really close with let alone a random neighbour. And while they may be in well paying jobs normally, in the midst of a global pandemic where there's so much loss of employment & volatility in the stock market, you might find that they've had salaries reduced or lost value on pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Uncle Peter & Aunty Mary buy a Denby tea set off the gift registry list you have given them or they give you money and you go and buy the Denby tea set off your own mental list and say thanks UnclePeter and Mary for providing us with this beautiful tea set. You are so kind. What's the difference ? What is in any way personal or sentimental about them buying off your provided list ?

I’d only love if more people would have a list as I hate having to pick Something I think people will like.

Do you not hate when you give an engagement gift and your trying to make up to x amount and end up buying two or three things that are neither here nor there. Or else you end up spending more than you would have in the first place in order to give something decent - maybe I just overthink things?

A list would totally take the pressure off whether buying an engagement or wedding gift.

Also I’m know for being materialistic so it’s not going to surprise anyone, if it does anything it would ensure people are under less pressure to pick for me.

So there is a list for engagement gifts as well as wedding gifts? I’m clearly living in a different world to some. I only give a bottle of alcohol for an engagement and that’s only very close family and friends. I don’t think having a registry is a bad thing but if someone goes to the trouble and expense of buying something small or off register will they get dismissed for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I wouldn't count on a gift from anyone. At all.
    We got a very generous cheque from a couple who are notorious in our circle for being stingy. Never get a round in type of people. I couldn't believe it actually when I opened the card.

We got nothing from several people. Some of whom we gave the 'normal' cash amount when they got married.

We also got random stuff people shouldn't have wasted their money on. I was able to exchange some but others went to the charity shop when we were packing up to move house.

I think the old tradition of giving stuff to start a home is gone even in my parents' generation. I only know one couple who didn't live together before they got married and even at that they had their own flats for years so didn't need any household items.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Anyone we know is working with well paying jobs, aunts and uncles of mine are retired with v good pensions so money not an issue for us or them. They’re all very well off. So no one is under any pressure whatsoever.

Look in reality neighbours, friends etc will all return the favour and give back what we gave at their weddings that’s very much the norm.
    I’d always give €200-350 at any wedding I attend depending on relationship with the person.

We know people will return the favour so this is damage limitation particularly for the older guests and neighbours. I know anyone our own age and cousins will give a cheque or cash.

The wealth or lack of same of your family and friends is not the issue, it is the fact that you seem to have some sort of expectation or entitlement to a gift just because you were in a position to give at other weddings.

Gifts are given, freely, sometimes with meaning and generally with good intentions and support of your next milestone in life. That is generally the point of a gift, just as attending the wedding to show support and celebrate your important stage in life is a gift, a gift of giving their time to support you.

This should be your focus on gifts, not handing out a glorified shopping list (registry) of things you expect to be purchased. It is very poor taste to have that attitude and expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

eviltwin wrote: »
    So there is a list for engagement gifts as well as wedding gifts? I’m clearly living in a different world to some. I only give a bottle of alcohol for an engagement and that’s only very close family and friends. I don’t think having a registry is a bad thing but if someone goes to the trouble and expense of buying something small or off register will they get dismissed for it?
    Same. Bottle of champagne or wine, depending on what I think they'd like.
    We got a few small items when we got engaged, which I strongly suspect were regifts in most cases.....

lazygal wrote: »
    Same. Bottle of champagne or wine, depending on what I think they'd like.
    We got a few small items when we got engaged, which I strongly suspect were regifts in most cases.....

I just think the idea of having a gift registry for engagement gifts is in poor taste. Why does this event, which is supposed to be about love, have to revolve around money?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If you're looking at asking for gifts for the registry, I hear that stand mixers go down well here :D

• Advertisement

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Uncle Peter & Aunty Mary buy a Denby tea set off the gift registry list you have given them or they give you money and you go and buy the Denby tea set off your own mental list and say thanks UnclePeter and Mary for providing us with this beautiful tea set. You are so kind. What's the difference ? What is in any way personal or sentimental about them buying off your provided list ?

That’s would be the ideal situation but the list is for people who will give a physical gift rather than cash. Its to give them an idea as to what we need/like for new home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement