Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Bargains [NO CHAT - No referral links - SEE OP]

Options
  • 27-01-2021 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

MOD EDIT: NO CHAT. NO COMMENTS. NO REFERRAL LINKS and BUYER BEWARE THAT IT MAY NOT BE A BARGAIN. No Chat is because chat crowds a thread quickly and the bargains get lost. Important updates to a specific bargain will now be allowed, but PLEASE only post if it is important information that buyers should be aware of. What's considered 'Chat' or important or relevant will be at the Mod's discretion.
    CHAT #1 = WARNING
    CHAT #2 = FURTHER ACTION

So we all know for the majority of products and orders under 20GBP, Amazon take the 20% VAT off as we're currently allowed to import goods under 22Euro.

I've been taking advantage of this with some toiletries/cleaning supplies etc.. which end up being a great deal if you have Prime. Here's some of the one's I've got, feel free to add to the list if you've spotted something else.

Kandoo Aquas Flushable Aqua wipes, Pack of 12, Total 600 wipes come to £16.49 - very similar to the Andrex ones that would be €30 Euro from Tesco for the Same Amount of wipes.

50 Pack Disposable 3 Layer Facemasks £6.66

Andrex Gentle Clean Toilet Tissue, 45 Rolls £14.07 for 5 x 9 Rolls pack. They're on offer in Tesco atm 2x9 Rolls for €9.00

Comfort Intense Vaporesse Fresh Sky Ironing Water prevents limescale in your iron for fresh laundry 10 x 1 Litre after the onscreen 20% offer they come to £9.80. These are €2.02 per bottle in Supervalu

Robert Scott CPD02010 Industrial Green Scouring Pads, 15 cm x 10cm ,Pack 10 £1.19 for 10 of the The big catering Size scouring pads. They're twice the size of the normal one. Cut or tear them in half and you're getting 20. A pack of 5 is €1.48 in Tesco

50 Pack Blue J Cloth £2.57. They're €0.68 in Tesco for a pack of 10.

There were so many others that no longer deliver to Ireland (but that could change)

TRESemme Shampoo 500ml - £1.46
    TRESemme Conditioner 6 X 500ml - £8.75
    8x Aquafresh Mouthwash for £11.00
    50 Sheet Colour Catcher £3.12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Don't forget to ensure the orders don't get grouped together if buying more than one thing, as that could bring you over the €22 limit.

If you need a bunch of things at same time, just add your address multiple times with slight variations to Amazon. That'll keep them separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

dulpit wrote: »
    Don't forget to ensure the orders don't get grouped together if buying more than one thing, as that could bring you over the €22 limit.

If you need a bunch of things at same time, just add your address multiple times with slight variations to Amazon. That'll keep them separate.

Yeah I've been ordering each item individually and just changing the name to deliver to James, JAmes, JAMes, etc.

There was one occasion where they grouped together two items but it wasn't stopped for VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Yeah I've been ordering each item individually and just changing the name to deliver to James, JAmes, JAMes, etc.

There was one occasion where they grouped together two items but it wasn't stopped for VAT

I've set up multiple addresses with a slight difference in spelling and also calling my house 69A, 69B, 69C, 69D etc etc

TheDriver wrote: »
    I've set up multiple addresses with a slight difference in spelling and also calling my house 69A, 69B, 69C, 69D etc etc

Yeah I did the same, got some bits delivered to work.

Amazon prints their labels in all caps so if you change the name with a random capital letter it doesn't seem to make a difference on the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

not finding the TRESemme Shampoo offer, can you link ?

• Advertisement

not finding the TRESemme Shampoo offer, can you link ?

They don't deliver to Ireland anymore. But I'd keep an eye out because it changes all the time

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I have been stocking up on household items for a few weeks. I think I’ve bought enough Andrex to last us a year!

Amazon do 8 big rolls of Regina Blitz Household Towels for £10 every few weeks. Will be about £8 next time they do them when you take off the VAT.

I've seen amazon do 6 packs of shower gels as well for well under the €22. I got 5 tubes of Sensodyne Pronamel Enamel for €9.50 a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I have been stocking up on household items for a few weeks. I think I’ve bought enough Andrex to last us a year!

Amazon do 8 big rolls of Regina Blitz Household Towels for £10 every few weeks. Will be about £8 next time they do them when you take off the VAT.

I had been thinking about starting a thread like this one as there still bargains to be had
    I got the Regina
    for £4.98 with subscribe and save. I actually felt guilty disposing of all the packaging.

Hand soap was £3.70 for 3 but gone up in price
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071ZZ17DS
    I also got a pair of bosch wiper blades for £13.74
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009E9HMYA

128GB Sandisk £13.99
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08GYKNCCP

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Sounds like an efficient way of maximizing your carbon footprint!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

So we all know for the majority of products and orders under 20GBP, Amazon take the 20% VAT off as we're currently allowed to import goods under 22Euro.

I've been taking advantage of this with some toiletries/cleaning supplies etc.. which end up being a great deal if you have Prime. Here's some of the one's I've got, feel free to add to the list if you've spotted something else.

Kandoo Aquas Flushable Aqua wipes, Pack of 12, Total 600 wipes come to £16.49 - very similar to the Andrex ones that would be €30 Euro from Tesco for the Same Amount of wipes.

50 Pack Disposable 3 Layer Facemasks £6.66

Andrex Gentle Clean Toilet Tissue, 45 Rolls £14.07 for 5 x 9 Rolls pack. They're on offer in Tesco atm 2x9 Rolls for €9.00

Comfort Intense Vaporesse Fresh Sky Ironing Water prevents limescale in your iron for fresh laundry 10 x 1 Litre after the onscreen 20% offer they come to £9.80. These are €2.02 per bottle in Supervalu

Robert Scott CPD02010 Industrial Green Scouring Pads, 15 cm x 10cm ,Pack 10 £1.19 for 10 of the The big catering Size scouring pads. They're twice the size of the normal one. Cut or tear them in half and you're getting 20. A pack of 5 is €1.48 in Tesco

50 Pack Blue J Cloth £2.57. They're €0.68 in Tesco for a pack of 10.

There were so many others that no longer deliver to Ireland (but that could change)

TRESemme Shampoo 500ml - £1.46
    TRESemme Conditioner 6 X 500ml - £8.75
    8x Aquafresh Mouthwash for £11.00
    50 Sheet Colour Catcher £3.12

Toilet paper is usually 32 rolls for a ten euro. Don't see any bargains there tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Once you purchase them individually that wont be an issue, I had 4 items grouped together last week and I didnt get charged for it, An Post delivered them. Its only if you order all 4 together that you would be charged Import duties by amazon

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I clicked buy and subscribe on the 45 x Andrex and it came up for under €4 so it’s a bargain for me

That’s some deal, not sure how you got it for that price

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I just hit subscribe and the discount applied

https://ibb.co/C0C4Mjc

You are getting a far greater discount that I seem to be getting alright

Screen-Shot-2021-01-27-at-17-01-36.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭SourSessions

And you're both getting more than me! My final price is coming out at £10.55

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭ozmo

Just please don't actually try to flush them down the toilet -

We got a bill from Dynarod of 250 Euros to get our street drains unblocked when the neighbours blocked them with these (no D15 council don't unblock street drains when in a housing estate).

They are generally made of plastic and do not break down like the name would suggest.

https://www.clearfirst.co.uk/resources/flushing-wet-wipes-damages-sewers/#:~:text=Wet%20wipes%20have%20been%20identified,through%20toilets%20and%20into%20homes.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »

We got a bill from Dynarod of 250 Euros to get our street drains unblocked when the neighbours blocked them with these (no D15 council don't unblock street drains when in a housing estate).

They are generally made of plastic and do not break down like the name would suggest.

https://www.clearfirst.co.uk/resources/flushing-wet-wipes-damages-sewers/#:~:text=Wet%20wipes%20have%20been%20identified,through%20toilets%20and%20into%20homes.

That’s false advertising so, we’ve been using Tesco ones in our house for years and years and never had any issues that we know about, and judging by the fact that Tesco seem to be constantly sold out of these on a regular basis, we certainly aren’t the only ones buying and using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

ozmo wrote: »

150 baby wipes are €1.50 in Dealz. Not flushable either,but basically the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Aquos76 wrote: »
    That’s false advertising so, we’ve been using Tesco ones in our house for years and years and never had any issues that we know about, and judging by the fact that Tesco seem to be constantly sold out of these on a regular basis, we certainly aren’t the only ones buying and using them.

There was a guy talking about this very thing on radio the other day, seems it's not illegal to say these are flushable because they are. What it doesn't say is they are biodegradable which is where the loophole lies. Just because something says it's flushable doesn't mean you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

Toilet rolls full price here when I checked

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

There is no need to do that. I purchased three items each under 22 and they arrived in one delivery box.

The key is that you must do the orders separately, not together in one order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭hognef

There is no need to do that. I purchased three items each under 22 and they arrived in one delivery box.

The key is that you must do the orders separately, not together in one order.

The parcel is still technically liable to VAT if the combined value is greater than the 22 euro limit.

hognef wrote: »
    The parcel is still technically liable to VAT if the combined value is greater than the 22 euro limit.

Not from Amazon as they are collecting the VAT for revenue, so they know what’s liable and what’s not. I’ve have three deliveries since Brexit and I’ve not had to pay anything extra on any of them and all three had bundled orders in them.

Not from Amazon as they are collecting the VAT for revenue, so they know what’s liable and what’s not. I’ve have three deliveries since Brexit and I’ve not had to pay anything extra on any of them and all three had bundled orders in them.

Amazon are shipping parcels then that are over the limit. Those parcels are liable for VAT regardless of who the sender is. It's quite clear that they're getting other things wrong (like charging both UK and Irish VAT on some items), so what makes you think they're they're 100% right here? It could well be that the parcels escape scrutiny because they're marked with Amazon logos, but that doesn't mean they're not technically liable for VAT.

Well the cost of each item was marked clearly on the customs sticker attached to the box, so it’s clear what was paid and what isn’t paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

You are getting a far greater discount that I seem to be getting alright

Screen-Shot-2021-01-27-at-17-01-36.png

8.44 pounds for me

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭JPup

Second the point about not flushing the 'flushable' wipes. The drain guy we had out said they can take a year or more to break down so will clog your drains.

Sorry for going off topic, but it's a real pain when the drains back up so helpful to get the message out I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FluffPiece

Yes but the point is if anyone shipment is over the value of €22 including any shipping or insurance costs, then it's liable to VAT.

I suspect the reason they are letting it slide through is that Amazon are Irish VAT registered here and generally collecting the right vat so it's not a clear cut case, probably easier to just let amazon packages through instead of trying to catch so many. But that could be subject to change.

Well the cost of each item was marked clearly on the customs sticker attached to the box, so it’s clear what was paid and what isn’t paid.

Which then makes it even clearer how much you are meant to pay on top. But customs are obviously not paying any attention to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

how are ye getting the jacks roll cheaper????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

bailey99 wrote: »
    how are ye getting the jacks roll cheaper????
    Refurbished..

Advertisement