Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help on reporting tax on dividends

Options
  • 18-01-2021 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

I know that I have to report to Revenue my income received on dividends. I just wanted to make sure I'm doing it all right.

On my Dividend overview in the 2020 Degiro report for my US shares I have

€1139.21 Gross
    €162.33 Withholding tax
    €976.88 Net

When I log onto Revenue and go to Payments it has a simple form for reporting US dividends.

It asks for Gross. I presume that's the €1139.21 number. Is that correct? They'll account for the €162 already taken off?

When I enter the €1139.21 it automatically populates the next field.
    Tax Credits Reduced by: €56.96

Where is that number coming from? Its way to small. Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something?

I haven't submitted the form yet so maybe it makes bigger changes that I'm not aware of.

So just wanted to check here to see if anybody knows what the story is.

I'm on the higher tax bracket.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

Revenue know you've already paid 15%.

So the €56.96 is the other 5% to make up 20% tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Cheers for making the thread. I was trying to find out the answer for it too.

So pretty much, and just to confirm, if you buy a share of a US company and that share gives you 2 dollars per year. The US revenue will deduct 15% (30c in this case) from you. When you go to pay your taxes in Ireland you will be deducted a further 5% to round up to 20% tax paid.

Do you have to file a form or anything or is this automatic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Cheers for making the thread. I was trying to find out the answer for it too.

So pretty much, and just to confirm, if you buy a share of a US company and that share gives you 2 dollars per year. The US revenue will deduct 15% (30c in this case) from you. When you go to pay your taxes in Ireland you will be deducted a further 5% to round up to 20% tax paid.

Do you have to file a form or anything or is this automatic?
    No. Go to myAccount and when submitting/reviewing a year for income/tax purposes, there is a section for "Other income" and in there should be dividends. There are little tool-tips to let you know what exactly to input.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

irishlad. wrote: »
    Revenue know you've already paid 15%.

So the €56.96 is the other 5% to make up 20% tax.

How do you inform revenue if you've been taxed on US dividends at 30%?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

McGaggs wrote: »
    How do you inform revenue if you've been taxed on US dividends at 30%?

The Revenue don't care about that. They'll only allow 15% DWT under the tax treaty with the US. Who is you broker? You need to fill out a W-8BEN form to ensure you get the benefit of the Tax treaty rate of 15% otherwise it'll default to the standard 30% rate.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/w/w8form.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The Revenue don't care about that. They'll only allow 15% DWT under the tax treaty with the US. Who is you broker? You need to fill out a W-8BEN form to ensure you get the benefit of the Tax treaty rate of 15% otherwise it'll default to the standard 30% rate.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/w/w8form.asp

I'm using Degiro. They're not playing ball because I don't have an Irish Bank account

Advertisement