Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Serpent on BBC

Options
  • 13-01-2021 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭

Anyone else watching The Serpent on BBC? All episodes are available on the iPlayer.

Decent story about a creepy serial killer of hippy tourists in SE Asia during the mid 1970's, based on true events. It's well made, great soundtrack and very atmospheric. The main character is a bit of a cartoon villain, played by the actor from A Prophet a few years ago. Not sure where Jemma Coleman (ex Emmerdale) got the French accent (some of the dialogue is multi-lingual, quiet fitting for the period in question). The time jumps are rather off-putting but you get used to them.

Lord Percy (Tim McInerney) puts in a half decent performance as a Belgian hard man diplomat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

We've watched 2 eps so far and it's good, it looks very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

I'm enjoying it, but some issues I have are
    why do the captives keep taking the 'medicine' have they no common sense and the constant leaping between times confuses me somewhat
    . I find it a bit slow-paced, could definitely have cut the 3 episodes I've seen so far into at least half that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It does have longuers but the story is a good one, you could easily imagine it could still happen bar the issue of much faster communication. I suspect that many who do the modern hippy trail are pretty naive and careless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭johnire

I thought it was absolutely fantastic. The attention to detail to recreate the 70s look was so impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It does but they are in Thailand and we don't really know what the differences between now and then are in that part of the world. A bit of set dressing, some old cars and clothes can go a long way. Plus the careful use of old footage which is blended in with the new stuff to help create the 70s vibe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i heard someone raving about this on the radio, is it really that good?

Yes! It was absolutely fascinating.
    fryup wrote: »
    i heard someone raving about this on the radio, is it really that good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Its very good a bit drawn out at times but overall I'm enjoying it.

is it repeated during the week by any chance??

No unfortunately it’s not.

is it repeated during the week by any chance??

• Advertisement

I thought this was brilliant. I was going to give up after about 2 episodes, thought it was a bit slow. But so glad I stuck with it. Watched the whole lot on BBC iplayer over the weekend. Acting is great, especially Jenna Coleman, clothes are great, story is great. True story too which makes it even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Thought this was excellent

The crazy thing is that it's pretty much all true.

They only changed minor details for the story flow.

There is a 45 minute piece" serial killer Charles Sobraj documentary" on YouTube. Worth a watch after you've watched this to the end.

You can see where the tv show recreated directly some shots.

As an aside I've never seen so many cigarettes smoked during one tv show!

Interesting way of dealing with smoking whilst certainly not glamorising it.

glasso wrote: »
    The crazy thing is that it's pretty much all true.

They only changed minor details for the story flow.

There is a 45 minute piece" serial killer Charles Sobraj documentary" on YouTube. Worth a watch after you've watched this to the end.

You can see where the tv show recreated directly some shots.

As an aside I've never seen so many cigarettes smoked during one tv show!

Interesting way of dealing with smoking whilst certainly not glamorising it.

The Dutch man smoking was certainly true, I've never met people like the Dutch to smoke, usually roll ups morning noon and night. I'm resisting the temptation to jump ahead and watch it on the iPlayer. Last two episodes of spiral on Saturday night too...

CoBo55 wrote: »
    The Dutch man smoking was certainly true, I've never met people like the Dutch to smoke, usually roll ups morning noon and night. I'm resisting the temptation to jump ahead and watch it on the iPlayer. Last two episodes of spiral on Saturday night too...

Yer wan "monique" was always sucking on a fag too in most scenes.

Yer wan "monique" was always sucking on a fag too in most scenes.

You can include the French in my statement too!!

People smoke a lot less in most nationalities these days tbh

70's was pretty much peak smoking

She was Canadian tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

She was Canadian tho.

Think he means the blond one who was photographing their apartment.

Don't bother he'll have the last word no matter what...

• Advertisement

Ah come on now, Nadine is a brunette!

She is French yes.

Knippenberg's wife/ ex-wife is the blonde....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Best thing I have watched in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Larsso30

absolutely loved this, at points i couldnt believe it was so true , he was just repeating same and same again and getting away with it.

Would love to know what happened with Ajay.

Why he went back to nepal, beggars belief.

had a degree of sympathy for monique until the two tourists in Nepal. she knew well what she had signed their death warrant

i missed the first 4 episodes of this,

can someone give me a quick synopsis, what's his purpose for killing these people jealousy spite or just for money?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i missed the first 4 episodes of this,

can someone give me a quick synopsis, what's his purpose for killing these people jealousy spite or just for money?

just for money as far as i can tell but he seems to enjoy it as well, although they havent gone into his motivations much apart from the fact he thinks they are rich spoilt white kids !

although its dog slow for the first 4 episodes its probably 2 episodes too long

if the OH wasnt watching it i would have given up by now

just for money as far as i can tell but he seems to enjoy it as well, although they havent gone into his motivations much apart from the fact he thinks they are rich spoilt white kids !

although its dog slow for the first 4 episodes its probably 2 episodes too long

if the OH wasnt watching it i would have given up by now

He was using their identities to move from country to country to transport gems which was far more lucrative than what he robbed from his victims.

well what did you think of the ending???

quare fish wasn't he, wonder why he returned to nepal? for the attention?? to goad
    the authorities??

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

I really liked it, watched it weekly rather than watching it in a couple of sitting via the player.

I thought it was slow to begin with and found some parts hard to follow but now I’ve watched it all, I really enjoyed it.

That said, when I watched it all, I Googled him to get more details to fill in some of the gaps for myself

well what did you think of the ending???

quare fish wasn't he, wonder why he returned to nepal? for the attention?? to goad
    the authorities??

Brilliant, he was a complete loop the loop, reminds me of a Garry Larson cartoon, patient lying on the shrinks couch, looking over the shoulder of the shrink he has written on his notepad "Just plain nuts!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Finding this a real slog and convinced 4 episodes would have been enough. So many unnecessary nondescript tangents in it. Main actors good, there are some good moments and it nails the 70s look very well but it all seems to suffer from that loose "based on" caveat, which can often signify not enough editing. I see most reviews gave it 3/5, that's probably about right.

Advertisement