Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone getting an M1 Mac?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭iniall

I was about to but is it true that Windows can’t be installed on them like the Intel ones? Can you still buy Intel ones? (Air).

Apple have stopped selling the Intel Air, so the M1 is the only option there. The MacBook Pro and Mac mini are still available in various Intel flavours (for now). But I think it would be madness to get an Intel Mac now unless you really need one right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭iniall

Touch ID keeps failing for both me and my OH on my new MBA. Anybody else having issues with it? Touch ID on my old iPad "forgets" my finger after a few days, so I thought it might just be something odd about my fingerprints, but the MBA is losing OH's prints as well, so it's not just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Ordered an M1 MBA last week, website says 19th February for delivery, how accurate is this? Have people gotten theirs on time or early?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

WezzyB wrote: »
    Ordered an M1 MBA last week, website says 19th February for delivery, how accurate is this? Have people gotten theirs on time or early?

Ordered mine in late November and it took nearly 3 weeks to arrive and it was a very accurate estimate of delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭rwald7

I ordered one a half an hour ago. Got a delivery window of 3rd-10th Feb.

• Advertisement

rwald7 wrote: »

Upgraded storage to 1TB so that might be cause of extra time. My last MBA lasted eight years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

a bit of a downer but i haven't read anything that pulls it all together
    https://hardware.substack.com/p/falling-out-of-love-with-apple-part1 long long read , 3 parts but worth it , yes i will still buy an m1 .... eyes wide open though

a lot of those points are horse****.
    I get his point about virtual assistants but even Siri is hobbled by Apple's privacy settings.
    Its one of the reasons she's nowhere as good as Alexa or Google assistant.
    Poor customization ?? There are a huge amount of Android users who are jumping over to apple. Android is basically a mess right now... crap optimization, crap battery life, crap support.
    Its always nice to be able to customize your home screen but eventually you realize all that is doing is just draining your battery.
    I've even removed the widgets from my ios14 screen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Ordered 22nd December, arrived 20th January. Bumped Ram and storage, but I don’t think that makes much difference.

Blazer wrote: »
    a lot of those points are horse****.
    I get his point about virtual assistants but even Siri is hobbled by Apple's privacy settings.
    Its one of the reasons she's nowhere as good as Alexa or Google assistant.
    Poor customization ?? There are a huge amount of Android users who are jumping over to apple. Android is basically a mess right now... crap optimization, crap battery life, crap support.
    Its always nice to be able to customize your home screen but eventually you realize all that is doing is just draining your battery.
    I've even removed the widgets from my ios14 screen now.

The real answer is somewhere in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

I ordered one for my uncle on the 1st of January, it arrived on Friday (the estimate was 20th-29th Jan), so it came at the start of that range.
    Bottom of the range here, 7 cores, 8GB.

I'm still quite envious of him, that keyboard is back to what they should have been selling all along (I bought a 15" in 2018, so no physical escape key, and sh1tty keys, and no T for the arrows).

I'm going to buy one of the bigger MBPs when they release them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

Ordered mine in late November and it took nearly 3 weeks to arrive and it was a very accurate estimate of delivery
    rwald7 wrote: »
    Ordered 22nd December, arrived 20th January. Bumped Ram and storage, but I don’t think that makes much difference.

Is everybody ordering directly from Apple ? I'd assume click-and-collect from Curry's and the like would be much quicker. It says on their website "order online and collect in store in minutes."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Passenger wrote: »
    Is everybody ordering directly from Apple ? I'd assume click-and-collect from Curry's and the like would be much quicker. It says on their website "order online and collect in store in minutes."

As long as the product is physically in the store then you should be fine. Otherwise it is a horror show:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058150047&page=15

Doodah7 wrote: »
    As long as the product is physically in the store then you should be fine. Otherwise it is a horror show:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058150047&page=15

Yeah, just seeing now that none of the M1 models are in stock anywhere in the country. I'll go with the Apple store.

I upgraded the storage of mine to 1TB which isn't available on most of the retailers.

I ordered mine on 20th January and it looks like it is getting ready to ship now. Maybe if you get a base model it might ship quicker.

Hi all, well I've finally pulled the trigger and ordered my first Macbook. I'm pretty excited.

It's probably the last major piece of the Apple puzzle for me, I've an iPhone, Watch, 4K TV and finally time to get off Wintel.

I'm kind of avoiding Mac guides and unboxing videos for now, I want to experience it all myself first-hand! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 punch bob

Passenger wrote: »
    Yeah, just seeing now that none of the M1 models are in stock anywhere in the country. I'll go with the Apple store.

I suggest you always check Compub online - like hourly! They usually restock weekly. Once it’s posted, the units available are gone in an hour. I’ve seen that a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

So I’ve decided to buy a MacBook Pro but I’m not sure whether to wait for the 14” one coming in Q3 of this year or buy an M1 now. Am I stupid waiting for a laptop that isn’t even released yet?

Also, 16gb or 8gb for an M1? I will be using it for work. Teams, keynote, YouTube, numbers, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

some more infor on how apple are using a custom coprossor with their own instruction set to speed up machine learning and other type of intensive tasks
    https://outline.com/VVmvDt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

some more infor on how apple are using a custom coprossor with their own instruction set to speed up machine learning and other type of intensive tasks
    https://outline.com/VVmvDt

Cheers, reminds of the good old days of the AV macs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Quadra_840AV

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    So I’ve decided to buy a MacBook Pro but I’m not sure whether to wait for the 14” one coming in Q3 of this year or buy an M1 now. Am I stupid waiting for a laptop that isn’t even released yet?

Also, 16gb or 8gb for an M1? I will be using it for work. Teams, keynote, YouTube, numbers, etc.

You don't need 16gb for those tasks. But if it were me I'd get more RAM. You could add torage through USB or networks etc. But there is no way to add extra RAM.

If it were me 16GB/512GB would be the lowest config I would buy.

Its personal choice. but for me a 13" screen is too small.
    I'm much happier with a 14" screen.
    Depends though maybe you'll be using it plugged into a large screen.
    Then maybe a Mini would be better (more ports for example)

But also sometimes people just like a smaller footprint on their desk. We've a 13" laptop that I really dislike using. But someone else in the family loves. Each to their own.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    You don't need 16gb for those tasks. But if it were me I'd get more RAM. You could add torage through USB or networks etc. But there is no way to add extra RAM.

But also sometimes people just like a smaller footprint on their desk. We've a 13" laptop that I really dislike using. But someone else in the family loves. Each to their own.

Yeah I’m thinking extra ram, not too worried about storage tbh. 13” does seem small. I’ve a 12.9” iPad Pro which isn’t too far off size wise. Couldn’t imagine using it for a laptop. Waiting for the 14” is a killer though I’ve no idea when it’s gonna land.

beauf wrote: »

I completely agree.

24 hours with my new Mac and I went for the 8GB version. A mistake.

Firstly, MacOS seems to keep many 'closed apps' actually suspended and still open, unlike most of what happens in Windows 10.

Secondly, I don't play games much on my laptops any more but one 'native' game took 7+GB. I had more than 3GB swap in use. Holy F. I've never seen carry on like that in Windows and with 16GB on W10, I rarely ever breached 10GB.

Thirdly, in Activity Monitor, I see a few weird names (they really look like system activities) using a lot of RAM. MacOS just seems to work quite differently.

My use case on laptops had dialed down so much lately, mostly web browsing, researching online, Word/Excel, email etc. so light, I was sure 8GB would do it, and the unified memory of M1 is supposed to mean that it parks stuff in RAM for a much shorter time than traditional RAM. Whatever. 8GB is not enough.

The only saving grace is that I did view this one as a tester purchase, and I'd probably trade-in and upgrade later in the year. Maybe the Pro for the fans.

16GB. Yes. :pac:

I hadn't heard of anyone having issues with 8gb doing regular stuff. Maybe you've something else going on. I just know people keep their Macs for a long time. Hence more of everything would be wise.

I have heard of people with very heavy loads particularly with music production having issues. But in general people love them.

Most people would be wise to wait a while and check if all their current software and plugins and any hardware connected to their current computer is supported.

Yeah I’d say that above sounds like something faulty. No way should 8GB be that much of a mess.

I haven't used a Mac in years. But it might benefit from a reset to factory settings and starting over.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Yes I wonder if some confusion here.
    First the RAM is there to be used no point always having some empty, no harm leaving suspended apps in there for a quick resume etc.
    If I had 16gb and only half used then why is the OS is not using more?

For most I would say 8GB is not loads but just about right, but like others, if you are anyway tech savy your prob going to get 16GB just for the sake of it

When looking at Activity Monotor, for memory, it’s not really about how much memory used as you would want as much used as possible if it helps in any way, it’s more about the memory pressure, if it’s in the green your ok, but if there is memory pressure then yes more RAM prob needed or optimisation with whatever app using all the memory(Chrome etc)

It's moving more towards how a mobile phone works than traditional desktop OS.

I’m gonna go with 16gb as I want to future proof it a bit. Plan on keeping it for a long time and it’s only a couple of hundred quid extra.

I just don’t know whether to wait for the 14” or not. It supposed to be a squared edge redesign, or so I’ve read. That would be along the lines of the new iPhone 12 which I love.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

i'm waiting for the 14" cause i can and it's coming out supposedly around september. looking forward to the battery life, keeping the magsafe connection , hopefully a mini led display, whisper quiet and very fast

• Advertisement

MacBook Air arrived 10 days after ordering from the Apple Store and it was delivered 24 hours after being dispatched by DHL.

Advertisement