Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir and their appalling service

Options
  • 24-01-2021 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭

We all know that EIR are sh1t and unreliable but they’re the exclusive broadcasters of our favorite sports domestic league. We need to do something to force them to fix it. I’ve started sending messages on Twitter with the hashtag #brokeneir
    Can people please start sending messages with their experiences to get this trending so they might bother to actually do something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Yes, a hashtag will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,525 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They’ll ignore it just like they did anytime I rang them to complain.
    I had to use the Ombudsman to get anywhere especially to end my broadband account.

Nobody should have anything to do with them ever imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Eir have had the worst customer service for well over a decade now and are one of the biggest recipients of complaints from ComReg year on year.

A hashtag isn't going to change their mind, the only way you change their mind is by not paying into their coffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Eir just makes me appreciate TG4 even more. Bowe, D'Arcy & Stringer are the most boring pundit team I can ever remember.

They also wheel out that awful accented poshboy who did the Chicago commentary from time to time.

Truly an awful channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

They use Twitter a lot they’ve got multiple tweets slapping themselves on the back for being the broadcasters last night. They need blowback on that platform if nothing else other than to piss on their cornflakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I dunno if you all noticed, but the only ads on their coverage yesterday were for their services. Eir business, gomo, eir sports, eir mobile.

So the only money they're making on coverage is subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭highdef

Have had eir for a few years, ever since fibre to the home arrived. I've found the service to be excellent and have had zero issues.

Didnt notice at all because the feckin thing didn’t work. So I had to watch it on a dodgy stream instead of the service I actually paid for

highdef wrote: »
    Have had eir for a few years, ever since fibre to the home arrived. I've found the service to be excellent and have had zero issues.

Do you use Eir sport?
    The only way it is reliable is if you also pay 50 euros a month for Sky and tune it in on their satellite box

It’s bollox that you need to do that to be able to watch our domestic rugby league legally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Indeed terrible for me aswell, wanted to connect my laptop to the TV via hdmi but login kept failing and telling me contact their helpline ( good one).

Tried chrome casting and that wouldn't work either ( all I got was eir is now ready to cast ).

Ended up watching it on my tablet and had to endure all the self praise ads about how great their service is.

Give me TG4 and the Irish language any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Akrasia wrote: »
    Didnt notice at all because the feckin thing didn’t work. So I had to watch it on a fodgy stream instead of the service I actually paid for

Presume the sky carried eir worked?

Are you referring to the streaming service?

They really are a joke shop operation. It automatically cuts one operator out of the market for me.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Presume the sky carried eir worked?

Are you referring to the streaming service?

They really are a joke shop operation. It automatically cuts one operator out of the market for me.

I don’t pay for Sky, so even though I have a satellite tuner and I pay for EIr Sports, I can’t watch Eir sports on my tv, have to watch their online stream which works great for all of the matches nobody cares about, but crashes 100% of the time that Munster are playing anyone decent

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

We all know that EIR are sh1t and unreliable but they’re the exclusive broadcasters of our favorite sports domestic league. We need to do something to force them to fix it. I’ve started sending messages on Twitter with the hashtag #brokeneir
    Can people please start sending messages with their experiences to get this trending so they might bother to actually do something?

Money talks, unless there is a fight for the rights (which i doubt there is) the league will take the sole bidder (in this case eir).

No hastag will change that.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I dunno if you all noticed, but the only ads on their coverage yesterday were for their services. Eir business, gomo, eir sports, eir mobile.

So the only money they're making on coverage is subs.

Like BT Sport, TV channels don't make money, their core services do, it's called a loss leader.

I'd imagine very few people actually pay a sub for eir sport, they get it freee for being a broadband, mobile or eir vision customer.

Money talks, unless there is a fight for the rights (which i doubt there is) the league will take the sole bidder (in this case eir).

No hastag will change that.

It might force them to pay a bit more for their servers to host the streaming for the big games

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Like BT Sport, TV channels don't make money, their core services do, it's called a loss leader.

I'd imagine very few people actually pay a sub for eir sport, they get it freee for being a broadband, mobile or eir vision customer.

TV channels sold as part of quad play set ups may not be profitable, but they certainly do make money. They are clearly not turning down TV advertising by choice. The problem is they aren't attracting any advertisers.

It might force them to pay a bit more for their servers to host the streaming for the big games

They're not going to do anything based on tweets. It's a waste of time.
    Contacting comreg is your best bet: https://www.comreg.ie/queries-complaints/

errlloyd wrote: »
    TV channels sold as part of quad play set ups may not be profitable, but they certainly do make money. They are clearly not turning down TV advertising by choice. The problem is they aren't attracting any advertisers.

I didn't mean they literally don't make a cent, what I meant was that's not their sole goal.

Anyway, no tweet or whatever is going to fix a ****ty service, eir have been dire for years as a company. You'd be better off complaining to the league who award the rights.

Without competition for those rights nothing is going to change. The league need the games on TV to generate their own advertising, even if that coverage is deemed to be poor (by some people).

Comereg are toothless so they're pointless to go to too (do they even cover broadcasters even if the parent is a telco)?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Have Eir for broadband and TV. I've never had an issue, to be honest. Even their app has worked seamlessly for me when I've used it to watch matches elsewhere.

Three cheers for Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,508 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

What actually happened?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

What actually happened?

Munster lost...again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Liam Toland is paid by Eir....

Tells you all you need to know about Eir..

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Random Bloke

I signed up for a sim-only plan with Eir in October so I could get Eir Sports.
    It was the worst experience with a service that I have ever had.
    Website not working. Customer service not answering calls and dropping calls while in the queue for a long time. Basic functionality of the service not working. Webchat not working. Eir store that sold it to me washing their hands on it and saying they cannot assist. Etc etc.
    When I eventually did get through (after a month) I just cancelled the contract immediately as I have zero faith in their service, ability or technology.
    Never ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭highdef

Do you use Eir sport?
    The only way it is reliable is if you also pay 50 euros a month for Sky and tune it in on their satellite box

It’s bollox that you need to do that to be able to watch our domestic rugby league legally

Just the broadband service for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,508 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Eir Sport via the app is always rock solid for me. And if there were widespread issues, last night's match thread would have been pretty lively but I didn't see any mention of it.

My guess is the problem is on the OP's Internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Does anyone know when Eir's contract to show the pro 14/16 in Ireland runs out??

This year alone you need eir for alot of live pro 14.
    Bt for champions cup
    Amazon/ premier for some autumn internationals just gone and i presume sky sports if and when the lions gets played.
    With those 3 subscriptions you still wouldn't even get to see any French rugby.

I've definitely had times where the Eir TV app has just flat out not worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

some of my experiences with eir customer support are the usual on hold for over an hour, telling you your router is broken when you know it isn't and probably the best one ok, this seems to be a technical problem so we will send a technician out to your house but if it isn't you have to pay for it.

They are incredible. Let's just thank ourselves they are not responsible for the Covid Vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Does anyone know when Eir's contract to show the pro 14/16 in Ireland runs out??

This year alone you need eir for alot of live pro 14.
    Bt for champions cup
    Amazon/ premier for some autumn internationals just gone and i presume sky sports if and when the lions gets played.
    With those 3 subscriptions you still wouldn't even get to see any French rugby.

Here in N. Ireland it's pretty similar except that we have Pro 14 on Premier.
    French Top 14 has no UK/Irish broadcaster in these islands for last couple of seasons. I make do with Top 14 Youtube channel showing highlights of games on a Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Buer wrote: »
    Have Eir for broadband and TV. I've never had an issue, to be honest. Even their app has worked seamlessly for me when I've used it to watch matches elsewhere.

Three cheers for Eir.

Off topic, but I had a match running on their app while the ace stream I had of the same match on the TV was about 5 seconds ahead. Get AWAY outta that.

Advertisement