Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Standard of local journalists in Waterford

• 22-01-2021 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Listening into WLRfm this morning, it really has turned into an embarrassment. Damien Tiernan has transformed an important local current affairs programme into a plaything for himself. This ‘broadcaster’ remember left RTE under a cloud overnight.

He’s a sensationalist. I’m thinking back to the way he exploited that man on the quay during the first lockdown. His interview earlier this week with that family bereaved from covid was shocking ‘journalism’ never should have been conducted. A family consumed by raw grief. This morning it’s a big joke between rival football fans.

Billy Mc Carthy never would have conducted himself or his show in this manner. It’s amateur and completely unprofessional.

Local print journalism is as bad. Darren Skelton has a very similar approach. Always targeting the lowest social group. Travellers, people with addiction issues, immigrants.

Both of them obviously have massive opinions of themselves. Chasing sensational stories to try and insert themselves into national headlines.

Let’s be honest, if they were any good, they would be working at a national level. Perhaps there’s a reason why neither are!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Listening into WLRfm this morning, it really has turned into an embarrassment. Damien Tiernan has transformed an important local current affairs programme into a plaything for himself. This ‘broadcaster’ remember left RTE under a cloud overnight.

He’s a sensationalist. I’m thinking back to the way he exploited that man on the quay during the first lockdown. His interview earlier this week with that family bereaved from covid was shocking ‘journalism’ never should have been conducted. A family consumed by raw grief. This morning it’s a big joke between rival football fans.

Billy Mc Carthy never would have conducted himself or his show in this manner. It’s amateur and completely unprofessional.

Local print journalism is as bad. Darren Skelton has a very similar approach. Always targeting the lowest social group. Travellers, people with addiction issues, immigrants.

Both of them obviously have massive opinions of themselves. Chasing sensational stories to try and insert themselves into national headlines.

Let’s be honest, if they were any good, they would be working at a national level. Perhaps there’s a reason why neither are!

The last time I listened to Damien Tiernan I had the same feelings. It was about the city boundary extension. DT made a complete joke out of it and just spouted sensationalist rubbish. He would not talk about the valid reasons behind it and the fact that it is a completely reasonable thing for Waterford to look for. When the person being interviewed tried to make a serious point DT just talked over him with rubbish.

Don’t agree with you as such that they are being unprofessional. Journalism these days is sensationalist, self-serving and ego based as opposed to reporting what has happened. The goal is infotainment to get you listening or watching more than true journalism. Not a great thing but no different than most journalists these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

It's tabloid journalism but that's what gets the clicks and likes etc. Who needs quality when you can sell ad space?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Skelton is the only one digging into the HSE miasma on covid where stats and the true state of play at UHW are a moving feast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I do think Damien is an excellent journalist and doesnt shy away from asking politicians and business owners the questions which the public are asking. Witness the skill which he questioned John Cummins and Mary Butler over Golfgate etc- distinct, to the point and with no room to wiggle out of tough questions. His predecessors tended to be quite soft when interviewing.
    However, he seems to have quite a big ego, never failing to remind listeners hes an "IMRO" award winner as if that means something and seems to have a complex of being a big fish in a small pond.
    I could forgive that but...his worst trait is always trying to humiliate and make people look and sound bad. That interview on the Quay last year was a case in point, plus countless examples in RTE where he always seemed to want to interview people who had some degree of mental anguish. I get the sense he finds mental illness an easy target for comedy.
    If he could nip that odious trait, he would be a fantastic journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

And let’s not forget Dermot Keyes, full of his own self importance. There isn’t a sporting or political event he can’t make about himself. As for deaths, he has all those covered too. Author, singer, journalist, runner the self promotion is endless!

The time he was reporting on county final and stuck a picture of himself into the paper was the best ever! Same lad wouldn’t know what end of a Hurley to hold! Way bigger pain in the ass the Damien T and that saying something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Skelton does do good investigative work, to be fair to him.

Never had any time for Tiernan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

Must have taken a bit of effort to set up a new account to just have a bash ? I can't be assed going through old posts but you came out with the same drivel under a previous alterego a few years back when DT got the job.

You seriously think Billy McCarthy would have ran stories that would have come close to DT or even Eamonn Keane before him ? No chance. "We'll run that past the (imaginary) legal people" or just not bother.

The city, county and even the region are for once well served by our local journos. And it needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Gardner

Fair play for the post. I have been saying it for years on this forum. DT as pointed out by others comes out with complete and utter bizarre stuff at times. Take Neil Penderville for example on REDFM. We all know he has had his issues but his morning show is streets ahead of DT. His line of questioning and research on each subject is second to none. DT is nowhere near him.

Skelton is the worst of the worst when it comes to tabloid gutter journalism. Several complaints have been made by one local anti racism group and families to my understanding. We say no more, he is watching ;)

Recently during Covid a certain local media outlet and journalist started publishing online photos of the past from their records. Contained within one of the photos was a convicted sex offender. A friend of mine rang this particular media outlet asking them to remove the content and speak to the journalist who published the content. The content was removed but no communication or apology was ever received from that media outlet or journalist.

As for sports journalists go, we have a fine range of the worst in Ireland. Matt Keane is 30 years beyond his sell by date. Never takes on anyone in an interview. Articles about "legends" of the past are quite tiresome and boring. I just don't think he has the intelligence to do anything investigative or be questionable to any organization . Maybe the level he has created he is comfortable with and happy to see out his days with.
    Jamie O'Keeffe a few years back did a few articles in the Munster and I must say they were a joy to read. You would buy the Munster just to read them.
    Our local sports journalists are really at their level when reporting on Local junior and schoolboy soccer / local GAA and that's it. Dan McConnell in the Irish Independent / Newstalk is the best in the business at the moment.

Gardner wrote: »
    Fair play for the post. I have been saying it for years on this forum. DT as pointed out by others comes out with complete and utter bizarre stuff at times. Take Neil Penderville for example on REDFM. We all know he has had his issues but his morning show is streets ahead of DT. His line of questioning and research on each subject is second to none. DT is nowhere near him.

Skelton is the worst of the worst when it comes to tabloid gutter journalism. Several complaints have been made by one local anti racism group and families to my understanding. We say no more, he is watching ;)

Recently during Covid a certain local media outlet and journalist started publishing online photos of the past from their records. Contained within one of the photos was a convicted sex offender. A friend of mine rang this particular media outlet asking them to remove the content and speak to the journalist who published the content. The content was removed but no communication or apology was ever received from that media outlet or journalist.

As for sports journalists go, we have a fine range of the worst in Ireland. Matt Keane is 30 years beyond his sell by date. Never takes on anyone in an interview. Articles about "legends" of the past are quite tiresome and boring. I just don't think he has the intelligence to do anything investigative or be questionable to any organization . Maybe the level he has created he is comfortable with and happy to see out his days with.
    Jamie O'Keeffe a few years back did a few articles in the Munster and I must say they were a joy to read. You would buy the Munster just to read them.
    Our local sports journalists are really at their level when reporting on Local junior and schoolboy soccer / local GAA and that's it. Dan McConnell in the Irish Independent / Newstalk is the best in the business at the moment.

Not forgetting Adrian Flanagan - a fine waste of time he is too. Another drama queen

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

And a month without posting and conveniently the kraken awaketh to comment on this post...........:D

• Advertisement

Not forgetting Adrian Flanagan - a fine waste of time he is too. Another drama queen

I think his articles are well written myself. What issue do you have with him?
    I understand though hes not welcome at the RSC and covering the soccer matches but i have no idea why.

91wx763 wrote: »
    And a month without posting and conveniently the kraken awaketh to comment on this post...........:D

I'm sure the mods can confirm 2 different accounts and I.P address. But hey believe it if you want :)

I understand though hes not welcome at the RSC and covering the soccer matches but i have no idea why.

Poor journalist all right. You can never say he has done a piece that you could say is at national or a decent level. Again another journalist who has found a comfortable level and happy to stay within it which is quiet bizarre for a young person in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

I missed the interview on the key

Can someone give me a synopsis please

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭spaceCreated

You listen to redfm and wlr? Both morning shows? My hats off to you

You listen to redfm and wlr? Both morning shows? My hats off to you

Maybe I could listen to them different days or completely give up on one and listen to the other. the possibilities are endless my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭spaceCreated

Maybe I could listen to them different days or completely give up on one and listen to the other. the possibilities are endless my friend

So are you saying you only listen to half of them or you dont listen to one at all? Its just an odd combination to listen to wlr and red fm's morning shows.

He is always sensationalising things - bigging up invariably negative situations (including about himself) and making mountains out of mole hills. Guess he fits in with the standard locally in that case. Good news doesnt sell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

This stinks. A first-time poster beginning a thread with a post criticising and naming local people? Someone has an agenda. Don't other forums have rules that allow threads to be started only by established contributors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd love to see a "50 post piss about in After Hours for at least a month" filter for the entire site.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

gscully wrote: »
    This stinks. A first-time poster beginning a thread with a post criticising and naming local people? Someone has an agenda. Don't other forums have rules that allow threads to be started only by established contributors?

Obviously I can do nothing about it for obvious reasons, but you’re dead right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I respect Skelton for shutting down John Cummins for his immaturity in the debate last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I respect Skelton for shutting down John Cummins for his immaturity in the debate last year.

Jesus that was awful to witness from a public representative, how in God's name do people support him

A petulant child he called him :D

Cummins behavior at those 2 debates was deplorable mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

I think it’s quite sad that after being a journalist in Waterford for over 30 years, liz reddy seems to be just gone without much of a trace.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

DLS_75 wrote: »
    I think it’s quite sad that after being a journalist in Waterford for over 30 years, liz reddy seems to be just gone without much of a trace.

It speaks volumes for her!

DLS_75 wrote: »

Yeah what happened there? I actually thought she was quite good reading the headlines and the death notices etc unlike some of the current lot who stammer and rush their way through the bulletin.
    The guy who reads out the sport, Gavin Whelan who i presume is related to the boss, flies through the scores so fast i can barely hear him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

A lot of axes to grind in here it seems.
    For what it’s worth, even though Darren Skelton can be quite abrasive at times, I think we need dogged determined journalism like his at a local level. My understanding is that he isn’t a ‘trained’ journalist but I think he’s all the better for it, even if I do find myself disagreeing with his viewpoint from time to time.

As for Dermot Keyes, he seems universally liked from where I am, didn’t think anyone could have an issue with him. Is a good journalist, writes well and covers a wide variety of topics.

At this stage, Matt Keane isn’t going to change his style and at local level soccer, does he really need to be challenging anyone anyway?

Adrian Flanagan seems to rub a lot of people up the wrong way, I don’t have any great insight into it, but from Facebook/Twitter it looks like he has a bit of a thin skin, which isn’t ideal as a journalist you could say.

Dermot Keyes may be a nice guy but he lacks any sense of confrontation when it comes to asking tough questions. Any politician he ever interviewed he always gave them a really soft time with no follow up or challenge. At least Skelton will always ask the tough questions which is what we need from a journalist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AUDI20

Yeah what happened there? I actually thought she was quite good reading the headlines and the death notices etc unlike some of the current lot who stammer and rush their way through the bulletin.
    The guy who reads out the sport, Gavin Whelan who i presume is related to the boss, flies through the scores so fast i can barely hear him!

You presume wrong

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement