Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Property Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rcreedana

The price is mad but reading the description is even more frustrating: "This property not only offers buyers a spacious and comfortable place to live but also the chance to invest in the fast-growing Irish holiday rental market." Seems like they're targeting some AirBnB style property investors. I wonder how much just the presence of those players/potential buyers has an effect on the second hand market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

rcreedana wrote: »
    The price is mad but reading the description is even more frustrating: "This property not only offers buyers a spacious and comfortable place to live but also the chance to invest in the fast-growing Irish holiday rental market." Seems like they're targeting some AirBnB style property investors. I wonder how much just the presence of those players/potential buyers has an effect on the second hand market.

Same UK based agent selling 2 neighnbouring houses in Glasheen for 200k over what was paid in 2017 while marketing both as holiday rentals. Something tells me this guy is chancing his arm.
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-30-sheares-park-glasheen-road-glasheen-co-cork/2872993
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-30a-sheares-park-glasheen-road-glasheen-co-cork/2873014

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

CorkRed93 wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-harleen-hawkes-road-bishopstown-co-cork/2873002

what am I missing here? nice location and reasonable finish inside and nice back garden but 600k? there are new builds up the road from this for 500ish. What kind of market is there for a house at this price when you take away FTBS? bought for 310 3 years ago. Second hand market is out of control.

Saw this yesterday too and was asking myself the same question :rolleyes: I can't see myself ever being able to buy on my own if a house like that is 600k - what are the chances of buying a bog standard 3 bed semi in the suburbs on my own......zero at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭RINO87

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-harleen-hawkes-road-bishopstown-co-cork/2873002

what am I missing here? nice location and reasonable finish inside and nice back garden but 600k? there are new builds up the road from this for 500ish. What kind of market is there for a house at this price when you take away FTBS? bought for 310 3 years ago. Second hand market is out of control.

Wow. 600K for that... Even in todays climate that is waaaayyyy off. Don't ask and you wont get I suppose is what that agent is thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭Acosta

RINO87 wrote: »
    Wow. 600K for that... Even in todays climate that is waaaayyyy off. Don't ask and you wont get I suppose is what that agent is thinking.

I'd like to live Bishopstown, but not that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Absolutely mental.

Really is a reflection of how bad the housing shortage is. Nice area but its a very standard medium size house and by the looks of the interior shots its a rental meaning if you wanted to make it a home you'll be spending plenty more after the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭paintinglasses

CorkRed93 wrote:

Whoever looks at this house should also look at the plans for the huge housing complex that the city are looking to build right behind this house. The back garden won't be too appealing then!I think they're just chancing their arm and get out before building starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Whoever looks at this house should also look at the plans for the huge housing complex that the city are looking to build right behind this house. The back garden won't be too appealing then!I think they're just chancing their arm and get out before building starts.

That's hardly priced for a quick sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭corks finest

Absolutely mental.

Really is a reflection of how bad the housing shortage is. Nice area but its a very standard medium size house and by the looks of the interior shots its a rental meaning if you wanted to make it a home you'll be spending plenty more after the purchase.

Know that house, huge ground, Harry jennings the bread man used own it, you could build another house behind it(assuming all that land is with h) ouse

• Advertisement

That's hardly priced for a quick sale!

It's in need of serious modernisation, but serious bit of land with it considering it's Bishopstown, I'm uam var Ave originally and what you're buying is location, it's definitely worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Know that house, huge ground, Harry jennings the bread man used own it, you could build another house behind it(assuming all that land is with h) ouse

True enough I'd say the land potential is the reason for the price. Whats the odds a number of property developers are sniffing around it licking their lips.

One thing though, wasn't there a proposed apartment development refused just around the corner from that house? Not sure if it was refused or is still being disputed.

True enough I'd say the land potential is the reason for the price. Whats the odds a number of property developers are sniffing around it licking their lips.

One thing though, wasn't there a proposed apartment development refused just around the corner from that house? Not sure if it was refused or is still being disputed.

Devolopment granted AFAIK not far from that property

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

It's in need of serious modernisation, but serious bit of land with it considering it's Bishopstown, I'm uam var Ave originally and what you're buying is location, it's definitely worth it

WTF?

No offense, but Bishopstown is a miserable place at this stage. It badly needs a centre, some thought put into creating a village feel.

That house is on a busy rat run and will be surrounded by student apartments soon.

I wouldn't pay 150k for it?

Is the land worth 600k?

Mardyke wrote: »
    WTF?

No offense, but Bishopstown is a miserable place at this stage. It badly needs a centre, some thought put into creating a village feel.

That house is on a busy rat run and will be surrounded by student apartments soon.

Is the land worth 600k?

Can't put a village feel into Bishopstown, nor should you too spread out, everything is within walking distance - loads of schools(good schools) 3 churches, shopping centres - sports facilities, Murphys farm, 2 libraries,
    Mostly private housing, old neighbourhoods containing ppl with pride in their locality ie keeping it clean, a really great area to bring up children - - - list goes on
    Sought after location several bus routes, I'd giveymy eye teeth to be back there

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Mardyke wrote: »
    WTF?

Is the land worth 600k?

Its a near 200m2 house in fairness so would get a lot more than 150k but they're dreaming at 600k.

Your right about Bishopstown do, don't see the attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Bishopstown is an odd one , as mentioned above no town centre . Wilton is as close to a centre as you get.

There is massive attraction to bishopstown though , very close to the two universities and CUH, some of the biggest employers in the city . Might be the best served suburban area for buses , cycle lanes etc. Well regarded primary and secondary schools.

However I do think it's just getting busier and busier with traffic making it less attractive in that regard.

But alot of the houses are a good size , in estates with decent green space and are generally quiet enough with little trouble .

If I had 600k to spend, Bishopstown would be way down the list of places i'd like to live.

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    If I had 600k to spend, Bishopstown would be way down the list of places i'd like to live.

Well the house posted previously certainly wouldn't be where I'd spend 600k.

Definitely. While still pricey, 560k is asking for this house off Wellington rd. A stone throw from the city centre, it's not just near amenities and work, it's a nice area to live:

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-norville-42-sidney-park-wellington-road-montenotte-co-cork/1385031

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Definitely. While still pricey, 560k is asking for this house off Wellington rd. A stone throw from the city centre, it's not just near amenities and work, it's a nice area to live:

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-norville-42-sidney-park-wellington-road-montenotte-co-cork/1385031

Sydney Park is lovely.
    You're essentially in the city centre but with a real leafy suburb feel to it.
    Very desirable.

Lovely house. I worked on a few houses up in that area , the one you linked to has had alot of decent quality work done over the years. But some of the others I worked in up there would need a good few quid invested in them to bring them up to scratch . Joy of a period property I guess.

Lovely house. I worked on a few houses up in that area , the one you linked to has had alot of decent quality work done over the years. But some of the others I worked in up there would need a good few quid invested in them to bring them up to scratch . Joy of a period property I guess.

Currently renting in the area and we tried our best to buy something around St. Lukes, albeit not in the price range mentioned above. It was pretty ruthless in bidding and didn't work out. Saying that, we went sale agreed on a house in Ballintemple so pretty happy with that :)

Currently renting in the area and we tried our best to buy something around St. Lukes, albeit not in the price range mentioned above. It was pretty ruthless in bidding and didn't work out. Saying that, we went sale agreed on a house in Ballintemple so pretty happy with that :)

Ballintemple in the long run probably a better bet if intending or already have children

Ballintemple in the long run probably a better bet if intending or already have children

Exactly what we're thinking.

That's as maybe but you've still druggies near you, suburbs with good transport - school - amenities etc etc a much better quality of life, if single or no kids involved certainly city life is great

Exactly what we're thinking.

Property whether in Gran, Bishopstown, Douglas, Blackrock or anywhere else within 10 miles of Cork City is outrageously priced, need proper transport infrastructure as we're running out of space for housing and the only way is the country, I'm sure my youngest 6th year student will never be able to live in Cork unless the government wake up and affordable housing is properly managed or even started in great numbers, I feel for anyone starting out

It's the going inflated rate for the area, think the land going with it makes up the price, a better option if looking for a house in Bishopstown would be uam var, but the downside is most at this stage need lot of work, our own house in uam var avenue had subsidence work done, plus on top of that new owners put e200K plus into basically extending 30 feet out the back

That's as maybe but you've still druggies near you, suburbs with good transport - school - amenities etc etc a much better quality of life, if single or no kids involved certainly city life is great

Went to CIT myself and we'll just say there was some "experimenting" done when it came to drugs.... I actually used to live up the road from that gaff on Hawkes road so I know the area well. Believe me, I now wouldn't like to live beside college me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

"Druggies near you" ??!!

I need to stop reading this forum. There is some strange commentary.

That house on Sidney Park is a much better bet if someone wanted to spend half a million on a house.

Bishopstown is an example of a place that has had its day, unfortunately down to poor planning and neglect.

That could be said about many parts of Cork, of course, but other suburbs like Blackrock and even Ballincollig at least have a bit of a centre and some life.

Advertisement