Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

bucket list for extension, remodelling

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭misc2013

I've just added one for myself. I never heard the term before now but I've discovered 'mudroom press". I was looking up hall bench for coats etc. Some of them look amazing.

Just to add my voice to the TV at eye level and to the side of a fire. We did a full refurb recently and this is what we did with the TV room. You can't see the TV when it's off due to the dark colour of the wall.

The self build and renovations Ireland Facebook page is a great place for ideas. I uploaded loads of pics of our refurb on it a few weeks ago but my toddler got hold of my phone and deleted the post and lots of the pictures with it.

We also put a full wall of shelving/library at the bottom of the kitchen/diner.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Just to add my voice to the TV at eye level and to the side of a fire. We did a full refurb recently and this is what we did with the TV room. You can't see the TV when it's off due to the dark colour of the wall.

The self build and renovations Ireland Facebook page is a great place for ideas. I uploaded loads of pics of our refurb on it a few weeks ago but my toddler got hold of my phone and deleted the post and lots of the pictures with it.

Very nice job

That's the shelving unit we put at the end of the open plan area

Looks great. Is that the fire??

• Advertisement

misc2013 wrote: »
    Looks great. Is that the fire??

It's an electric fire in the first two pics.

It's an electric fire in the first two pics.

I've never seen one like that. V nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

That looks fab, top class design and finish. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

If you do an ensuite put the extractor fan on a different switch to the light. Stops the fan coning on if soneone goes to the bathroom in the middle of the night or if someone is up earlier than the other.

Sink thats large enough to take the pans and wire trays that slide into your oven. So much easier for cleaning.

If going for radiators have them sit about 2 inches away from the wall so you can easily hang clothes on them if necessary. We've all tried to snake towels down the back of the radiator to dry them.

As for kitchen, it really is personal preference. One thing we included was building in storage for cutting boards into the cabinetry. We opted for no upper cabinets but we really tried to cut down on the amount of unnecessary crap in the kitchen (a drawer for bags springs to mind)
    Unfinished kitchen pic below

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-iGPXhqMXe/?igshid=rz6ofafbwubb

seannash wrote: »
    If you do an ensuite put the extractor fan on a different switch to the light. Stops the fan coning on if soneone goes to the bathroom in the middle of the night or if someone is up earlier than the other.

Sink thats large enough to take the pans and wire trays that slide into your oven. So much easier for cleaning.

If going for radiators have them sit about 2 inches away from the wall so you can easily hang clothes on them if necessary. We've all tried to snake towels down the back of the radiator to dry them.

As for kitchen, it really is personal preference. One thing we included was building in storage for cutting boards into the cabinetry. We opted for no upper cabinets but we really tried to cut down on the amount of unnecessary crap in the kitchen (a drawer for bags springs to mind)
    Unfinished kitchen pic below

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-iGPXhqMXe/?igshid=rz6ofafbwubb

Kitchen looks class, but with the rads, you should never dry clothes on radiators - dry them on a clothes horse in a well ventilated room or you will end up with damp and condensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Kitchen looks class, but with the rads, you should never dry clothes on radiators - dry them on a clothes horse in a well ventilated room or you will end up with damp and condensation.

In my case its normally drying clothes that the tumble dryer didn't get 100% dry but yes good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Definitely agree with fan on second switch to bathroom light, makes such a difference.

Our utility room can be a little bit of a dumping ground. Would recommend really thinking of what you'd use the space for. Designated space for laundry baskets ready for ironing would be useful.

We have an integrated fridge freezer for 15 years and I'd like to change it for a freestanding one. Don't have enough space and constantly trying to jam stuff into freezer or rejig stuff in fridge to get something else. I'd replace the integrated section with a tall pantry with plenty of drawers.
    Only found this an issue since the kids came along, integrated fridge freezer was fine for just 2 of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

That's the shelving unit we put at the end of the open plan area

Very nice, where are the sofas from in both rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭phormium

MastiffMrs wrote: »

We have an integrated fridge freezer for 15 years and I'd like to change it for a freestanding one.

I know nothing about integrated stuff never having had any but I have just built an extension to my kitchen, it's not fitted out yet due to lockdown, but I was going to put in an integrated tall fridge to replace my undercounter one.

Is there less room in an integrated version than a free standing one based on the same space? Kitchen is going to be white so I could go with free standing as it would blend in, I'd prefer to have the bigger volume in the fridge than a prettier looking integrated finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

I went with an integrated larder fridge but yes they are smaller

Here are two to compare;

https://www.harveynorman.ie/home-appliances/refrigeration-appliances/larder-fridges-and-freezers/electrolux-integrated-larder-fridge-lrb2df18c.html

Integrated, 1769mm high to fit in a 1800 unit, 310 litre capacity.

https://www.harveynorman.ie/home-appliances/refrigeration-appliances/larder-fridges-and-freezers/hotpoint-fridge-sh81qwrfduk.html

A bit taller at 1875mm but 363 litre capacity so about 15% more volume.

As I said though we went integrated just because of the kitchen layout and we get on fine 2 adults and 4 kids. We had a standalone undercounter freezer but found that a bit restrictive, especially now with lockdown and trying to limit number of runs to the shop so we ended up getting a tall larder freezer too and putting it in the garage for overflow. So if you had space I'd recommend tall versions of both fridge and freezer in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

For the shower get shower enclosure with built-in shelves. In ours, there is a glass door inside the shower with shelves inside. Try to get a shower pumped directly from the hot tank instead of an electric one. Get a thermostatic shower valve so the water temperature is always perfect.

In the kitchen try to keep related functions close to save on movement. Have the dishwasher near the crockery press so you can unload dishes easily. Have your food prep area beside the hob and your ingredients storage nearby. Having the hob on an island makes this easier to achieve. Put a tall larder freezer in the utility room. Get a standard size hob. We got a large 6 ring one before and when it got cracked we had huge problems finding a replacement of a similar size.

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Very nice, where are the sofas from in both rooms?

Thanks. EZ Living for the dark grey and DFS for the lighter ones in the TV room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭phormium

Tails142 wrote: »

So if you had space I'd recommend tall versions of both fridge and freezer in the kitchen.

Thanks, I'll have a look at those, want to maximise the capacity within the space!

I actually have a tall freezer already in the utility room, don't know what height but it must be approaching 6ft, went for the biggest at the time :) I also have a small chest freezer as well as back up, big fan of freezing here! Plus I have a second undercounter fridge in utility but hoping to replace both fridges with the max tall one, it's more the bending down to peer into top shelf of fridges that drives me mad other than the layout, the two are actually handy as I keep day to day stuff in one and the utility room one stores the more long term stuff mainly baking supplies/drinks/long life stuff etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

Are those pocket doors?

ebayissues wrote: »
    Are those pocket doors?

Yes, we put them in so we could close off the TV room at night.

• Advertisement

Just to add my voice to the TV at eye level and to the side of a fire.

That looks really good, but, I am perplexed.. what's the craic with your windows opening inwards? :confused:

That looks really good, but, I am perplexed.. what's the craic with your windows opening inwards? :confused:

Tilt and turn. Fairly standard nowadays. We have casement at the back of the house where it's south facing.

Advertisement