Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MVR 2020 Crazy Price €6/700?

Options
  • 19-01-2021 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

Wanted to buy a bottle of Middleton 2020 as a future present for my son born this year.

Didin't see it on the shelves in passing but just looking at Celtic Whiskey Auctions and there are multiply bottles been bid up to €650/€700+

I know the Master Distiller is to change but this hardly pushes the price 3x in a few months

Can someone explain why/ Is it the new Bitcoin?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Fewer bottles released this year, afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

People are extra stupid this year:p

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭sceach16

All three previous posts are bang on.

IMO,It is a balloon rather than a bubble and should deflate. It will likely be slow and probably stay relatively expensive. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Ronney wrote: »
    Wanted to buy a bottle of Middleton 2020 as a future present for my son born this year.

Didin't see it on the shelves in passing but just looking at Celtic Whiskey Auctions and there are multiply bottles been bid up to €650/€700+

I know the Master Distiller is to change but this hardly pushes the price 3x in a few months

Get a 2019 bottle and tell him it's the year he was conceived...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fern Bench

Ronney wrote: »

Local publican and offie owner told me that lots of corporates bought them as gifts for staff this year in lieu of nights out/restaurant/Christmas do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

lots of non whiskey people or flippers this year. Price will drop but not back to retail ..400 euro

Also heard the corporates bought alot as no parties this year

Hondo75 wrote: »
    lots of non whiskey people or flippers this year. Price will drop but not back to retail ..400 euro

Also heard the corporates bought alot as no parties this year

In my opinion anyone who buys a bottle with no intention of opening it is not really a whiskey person, either.
    I just don't see the point.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some of the ridiculously premium releases could be coloured water for all anyone knows as they so rarely get opened.

L1011 wrote: »
    Some of the ridiculously premium releases could be coloured water for all anyone knows as they so rarely get opened.

There's a shop run by an elderly woman that we supply with our sourced whiskey. On more than one occasion, she's sold the dummy bottles we gave her. They are tea, red food colouring and a bit of alcohol!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Celtic Whiskey Shop are selling some bottles of Midleton Very Rare 2019 for €225.00 in case someone wants a bottle of MVR (alas not the 2020)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Covid has a lot of people with money to burn, many are still working full weeks, and aren't spending on holidays and nights out.
    They are all looking for something to spend money on, and MVR 2020 got a lot of attention due to its very limited release.

The hype has led to every year of MVR being sold out everywhere, which is fueling the demand.

A 2009 sold for €6k during the week.. crazy stuff.

I'm a collector, and a drinker.. I've two empty '17s sitting on my table.

Advertisement