Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RIP Jerry Kiernan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I'm genuinely shocked to hear this sad news. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Wow, out of the blue.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Very, very sad. One of the great Irish athletes, hard as nails. Also enjoyed his contributions to athletics on RTE, didn't always agree but always interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

That is a big shock. My mum worked with Jerry for years in Cabinteely, he was her favourite staff member and she often talked about his work ethic and communication skills with the kids. Sad to read this today. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

Shocking news one of our finest athletes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Shocked and saddened to hear of the loss of this legend so soon after the passing of Pat Hooper. He was held in high regard by runners of all standards that he coached largely for free I believe. A huge loss to the sport RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Very shocked. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

pconn062 wrote: »
    Very, very sad. One of the great Irish athletes, hard as nails. Also enjoyed his contributions to athletics on RTE, didn't always agree but always interesting.

Indeed. His punditry was always honest even if uncomfortable. If he thought someone wasn't good enough to be competing that level or ran within themselves he wasn't afraid to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Terrible news, watching an Olympics won't be the same

RIP Jerry

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Ah jaysus, used to love him during the Olympics coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Very sorry to hear that news about his passing. Another Irish legend of the sport gone. I always enjoyed when he was doing punditry with Sonia or Derval on RTE.
    Sounded like a very decent man with how he worked with athletes when they came to him. His approach with Ciara Mageean on her rehab from surgery early in her career is something that stuck with me when I read about it a few years back
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/arid-20409837.html
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Very sad. I enjoyed his insights as an analyst. Cranky old bollox but articulate and honest. The sort of person you need on a good panel.
    RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

I played GAA myself. But I had to agree with his analysis of the fitness of gaelic players in general. Many thought they were a lot fitter than they were/are and didn't realise how seriously fit and the effort needed to be of international athlete status.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jmm111

Absolute legend.
    Saw him in his prime win in Cork marathons in 83 and 84.
    RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Shocked and saddened to hear of the loss of this legend so soon after the passing of Pat Hooper. He was held in high regard by runners of all standards that he coached largely for free I believe. A huge loss to the sport RIP.

Joe Cooper at Clonliffe also. Huge hole ripped in the distance coaching circles in this country.

Kiernan really gave everything to the sport, not always people's cup of tea with straight talking nature but his passion was without question.While people will remember the big names he coached I think it is underestimated just how many people he helped across the country of all levels quietly

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The words 'not everyones cup of tea' were taken right out of my mouth. However I think thats a positive.

I knew Jerry as a teacher in times past, I admired his ethics greatly, he was a no bull**** taskmaster. I also deeply admire anyone that sets a high bar and whose default setting was to have no time for sporting administrators.

Very sad for his family and that he didn't get to enjoy longer years of a well deserved retirement. He had a lot more left to offer young athletes too.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Absolutely shocked and saddened at his sudden passing. Loved his straight talking no nonsense punditry and his passion for athletics really shone through. May he rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

RIP...one of the best pundits out there, in any sport, most recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

KSU wrote: »
    Joe Cooper at Clonliffe also. Huge hole ripped in the distance coaching circles in this country.

Kiernan really everything to the sport, not always people's cup of tea with straight talking nature but his passion was without question.While people will remember the big names he coached I think it is underestimated just how many people he helped across the country of all levels quietly

Agree 100% with you. 3 terrific people gone from Irish athletics.
    And as you said, it wasn't just the high profile athletes that benefit from their knowledge, but athletes at all levels.
    Whilst I didn't always agree with Jerry, I loved his no BS views. When someone didn't perform he called them on it, but equally I remember him trying to putting how athlete's performed into context, such as they were up against the best in the world.

Jerry played a huge role in Irish athletics as an athlete, a coach and a pundit, truly a sad day for athletics in Ireland

Condolence to his family and friends on their loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Genuinely got a shock when I heard the news.

Hugely talented athlete and incredibly knowledgeable analyst.....will be a huge loss to the athletics community in Ireland.

I spoke to him briefly a couple of years ago at the Dungarvan 10 mile race...he was generous with his time (I suspect I wasn't the only middle aged fella that was bothering him that day), I remember asking him was he still running and he said with more than a hint of sadness that he was "only walking these days" which I thought was a very honest and poignant thing to say. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭mr c

A Lovely man and also an Excellent Teacher RIP ,very sorry to hear of his passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I'm really saddened to hear this. I had a lot of respect for him and his straight talking style. Called things as they were.
    We need more people like Jerry on our TV screens, sadly we are getting less.
    So young to die.
    R.I.P.

RIP

Always found him interesting as a pundit and of course he was an accomplished athlete and respected coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I remember staying up late to watch the 1984 Olympic marathon.

I as glad when Tracy got second place, but when Jimmy McGee said "And Jerry Kiernan is in the stadium" the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

I as delighted for him, on a great night for Irish Athletics with Dick Hooper coming in 51st place

Lovely man and a very competitive Athlete

R.I.P

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Sad to hear of his passing. Always liked him on RTE and his willingness to put any presenter in their place if they spoke some nonsense on an athletics related issue. I remember him agreeing with Michael Johnson about the merits of Michael Phelps' multiple gold medals haul not being greater than Bolt's number because of the various strokes in swimming.

I agree with others who note the increasing lack of voices like Kiernan's in sports broadcasting. For this, he will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Where to begin…

22/8/17. The first day I approached Jerry in UCD to join his training group. Everything changed from there.
    I am grateful for every minute of those days to his passing.

I don’t know what it was about him but he had this aura that attracted people to him. He didn’t care what type of runner you were, how fast you could run, he just liked people who ran. He loved athletics and just wanted to see the sport he loved get the respect and credit it and its athletes deserved.

During a session he would stand in his corner when we would do laps and laps or whatever the session was and as you came around you would wait for the ‘Very good Darren’ and you would be half way around before you came down of the high.

I remember so many Tuesdays coming away from UCD absolutely buzzing after a session. Once Jerry gave me an unconditional compliment, I couldn’t wait to get back to my car to send a message to a friend of mine telling him what Jerry said to me. Unconditional compliments were rare, most of his compliments to me had a suffix such as ‘for a GAA player.’ Through his methods, advice and experiences he brought a former GAA player to a 2:43 marathon and proud to call myself an athlete.

I am no class of runner, but after every race Jerry would expect the first call. I remember a 5 mile race back in Wexford. I rang Jerry leaving the car park. I was close to Bray by the time the phonecall ended. It was only a 30 minute race.
    Also another time after Mallow 10. I rang Jerry and he asked me to compare it to Dungarvan 10. I was hyming and hawing and couldn’t really tell him. So the phonecall ended. 15 minutes later the phone rings back and its Jerry again he had rang one of his international athletes to get there opinion and then he could give me a full debrief.

This is just his coaching I could fill another post about his own career. Most of the time you would need to drag the information out of him but he stories were worth it. He would always keep us guessing about the session we would do but at 6:25, he would call us in and give us the news of the session and share a story and some great advice. His last words would always be make sure you have enough left to do another one or two at the end. Even with the lockdown his instructions would be you should be able to do another 5 minutes at the end.

I often asked him about his TV work. The amount of research he did was amazing, he would go through every athlete who qualified for whatever championship he was working on.

Coincidently, we would cross paths in our work life too. His reputation as teacher was impeccable and years on former students, always spoke highly of him and them of him. In this respect he was also a role model to me.

I will miss him more than I can ever put into words. He was a coach, a role model, a confidant and in a short period of time a father figure to me. I told him things, that people who have known me years will never know.
    I am rambling now, through tears I am writing this and every time I think I am finished I write a bit more. Over the years I have spoken to people about Jerry and they can sense my passion when I talk about him but they ask me why, what is it about him? I can never answer, it was whatever he had you just felt better in his company.

We have lost one of the very best today. Someone who taught me to be true to myself, never be afraid to speak my mind and always make time to run. I intend to run later on tonight, whether I am motivated to or not but as every kilometre ticks by I will hear him say ‘Very Good, Darren.’

Rest In Peace Boss. You have impacted me in a way you will never know. Festina Lente.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

Where to begin…

22/8/17. The first day I approached Jerry in UCD to join his training group. Everything changed from there.
    I am grateful for every minute of those days to his passing.

I don’t know what it was about him but he had this aura that attracted people to him. He didn’t care what type of runner you were, how fast you could run, he just liked people who ran. He loved athletics and just wanted to see the sport he loved get the respect and credit it and its athletes deserved.

During a session he would stand in his corner when we would do laps and laps or whatever the session was and as you came around you would wait for the ‘Very good Darren’ and you would be half way around before you came down of the high.

I remember so many Tuesdays coming away from UCD absolutely buzzing after a session. Once Jerry gave me an unconditional compliment, I couldn’t wait to get back to my car to send a message to a friend of mine telling him what Jerry said to me. Unconditional compliments were rare, most of his compliments to me had a suffix such as ‘for a GAA player.’ Through his methods, advice and experiences he brought a former GAA player to a 2:43 marathon and proud to call myself an athlete.

I am no class of runner, but after every race Jerry would expect the first call. I remember a 5 mile race back in Wexford. I rang Jerry leaving the car park. I was close to Bray by the time the phonecall ended. It was only a 30 minute race.
    Also another time after Mallow 10. I rang Jerry and he asked me to compare it to Dungarvan 10. I was hyming and hawing and couldn’t really tell him. So the phonecall ended. 15 minutes later the phone rings back and its Jerry again he had rang one of his international athletes to get there opinion and then he could give me a full debrief.

This is just his coaching I could fill another post about his own career. Most of the time you would need to drag the information out of him but he stories were worth it. He would always keep us guessing about the session we would do but at 6:25, he would call us in and give us the news of the session and share a story and some great advice. His last words would always be make sure you have enough left to do another one or two at the end. Even with the lockdown his instructions would be you should be able to do another 5 minutes at the end.

I often asked him about his TV work. The amount of research he did was amazing, he would go through every athlete who qualified for whatever championship he was working on.

Coincidently, we would cross paths in our work life too. His reputation as teacher was impeccable and years on former students, always spoke highly of him and them of him. In this respect he was also a role model to me.

I will miss him more than I can ever put into words. He was a coach, a role model, a confidant and in a short period of time a father figure to me. I told him things, that people who have known me years will never know.
    I am rambling now, through tears I am writing this and every time I think I am finished I write a bit more. Over the years I have spoken to people about Jerry and they can sense my passion when I talk about him but they ask me why, what is it about him? I can never answer, it was whatever he had you just felt better in his company.

We have lost one of the very best today. Someone who taught me to be true to myself, never be afraid to speak my mind and always make time to run. I intend to run later on tonight, whether I am motivated to or not but as every kilometre ticks by I will hear him say ‘Very Good, Darren.’

Rest In Peace Boss. You have impacted me in a way you will never know. Festina Lente.

A lovely tribute. I'm sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Djemba, djemba that was a beautiful, heartfelt piece, you have done yourself and Jerry proud with it. May he rest in peace and may you continue on the road he would have wanted you to continue on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Super pundit, unafraid to express his opinion and be honest. A very rare thing compared to all the bland inoffensive soundalike pundits out there nowadays who talk a lot but say very little. All style and no substance whereas Jerry and he'll hopefully forgive me for saying this, god rest his soul, was the opposite of that. A mullet well past its sell by date and a fashion sense that had no sense but so authentic, and a man of incredible integrity and substance. In many ways Jerry was the antithesis of everything that our vacuous media prizes these days. Will miss him greatly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭thehairygrape

Djemba djemba.
    Lovely tribute to a great hero of mine. I only met him briefly once when my legs gave out just after the 20 mile mark in the Limerick marathon. Who was standing there all on his own but Jerry Kiernan. ‘Tough it out’ he said. The sheer shame iof stopping in front of such a legend spurred me on to a PB. I most certainly didn’t stop again! Great athlete. Great commentator. I’m still going to claim he coached me for all of 10 seconds. Condolences to his family and friends.

Advertisement