Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CALCULATING THE OUTPUT FROM A PV ARRAY

• 20-01-2021 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭

...direction of thread changed

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

if you want to calc the output of a solar array, Stick your details into this website and it will push out monthly estimates, it has got close for me in Oct/Nov/Dec so far

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

graememk wrote: »
    if you want to calc the output of a solar array, Stick your details into this website and it will push out monthly estimates, it has got close for me in Oct/Nov/Dec so far

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP

That's a great site, I've been using NREL's SAM software but it's a bit over complicated for what I need

Here's my dumb questions :)

What do you put in for azimuth? Is due south 0 or 180? I seem to get a higher output with 0 so I'm guessing that's south?

Do you use the grid connected or off grid option? Off grid seems to account for a battery but also has some odd unit choices (graph in kWh but units in Wh)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

That's a great site, I've been using NREL's SAM software but it's a bit over complicated for what I need

Here's my dumb questions :)

What do you put in for azimuth? Is due south 0 or 180? I seem to get a higher output with 0 so I'm guessing that's south?

Do you use the grid connected or off grid option? Off grid seems to account for a battery but also has some odd unit choices (graph in kWh but units in Wh)

Grid connected, Off grid is no grid at all. its you, your panels and a battery!

Also if you click the azimuth:
    The azimuth, or orientation, is the angle of the PV modules relative to the direction due South. -90° is East, 0° is South and 90° is West.

For some applications the slope and azimuth angles will already be known, for instance if the PV modules are to be built into an existing roof. However, if you have the possibility to choose the inclination and/or orientation, this application can also calculate for you the optimal values for inclination and orientation (assuming fixed angles for the entire year).

Advertisement