Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor mcgregor is being sued *Read OP for mod warning*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

is this the famous "Sports star" night in the B hotel or is it another night?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Is anyone surprised? He is a walking litigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

is this the famous "Sports star" night in the B hotel or is it another night?

Same night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

The DPP say there isn't enough evidence.
    Irrespective of the personalities involved there is a element of unfairness in the process where there is no trial but he can be sued.

That is a de facto conviction for something the actual legal process says there is insufficient evidence for a case.
    The law courts should be the only barometer.

Now I've heard rumours and they sound horrible but rumours aren't facts,

paw patrol wrote: »
    The DPP say there isn't enough evidence.
    Irrespective of the personalities involved there is a element of unfairness in the process where there is no trial but he can be sued.

That is a de facto conviction for something the actual legal process says there is insufficient evidence for a case.
    The law courts should be the only barometer.

Now I've heard rumours and they sound horrible but rumours aren't facts,

The omagh bombers were not convicted but the victim’s families took a civil action and won

• Advertisement

The omagh bombers were not convicted but the victim’s families took a civil action and won

This is correct. but doesn't change my opinion that the law courts should be the standard. As I eluded too , it's a conviction by the back door.

I don't like but not much i can do , it's the rules of the game at the min.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Fuzzyduzzy

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/sports-star-at-the-centre-of-rape-claim-says-sex-was-consensual-37727340.html

Two things we know:
    1. 'Irish sports star' admits having sex with this woman.
    2. She was found "battered and bruised" before being transferred to the Rotunda Hospital Sexual Assault Treatment Unit.

Fuzzyduzzy wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/sports-star-at-the-centre-of-rape-claim-says-sex-was-consensual-37727340.html

Two things we know:
    2. She was found "battered and bruised" before being transferred to the Rotunda Hospital Sexual Assault Treatment Unit.

your article doesn't state point 2.

paw patrol wrote: »
    This is correct. but doesn't change my opinion that the law courts should be the standard. As I eluded too , it's a conviction by the back door.

I don't like but not much i can do , it's the rules of the game at the min.

The dpp might not have been confident in a rape conviction, but it’s easier (if it’s true ) to hold somebody responsible for causing injuries.

(Calling some one names can cause injury legally )

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Fuzzyduzzy wrote: »

Two things we know:

We also know the accused character suggests he thinks hes above the law. Punching aul lads who dont like his terrible whiskey and whipping his lad out to women.

Its only a matter of time before his actions catch up with him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Gatling wrote: »
    They are looking for a certain figure do you honestly think they are going to court ,this is nothing more a negotiation that's the whole idea , here's what I'm looking for publicly ,this will never make it to a personal injury court ,

Your saying if she went public be would counter with defamation ,but yet she's supposedly got medical and physical evidence , bittern ,hit , choked , bodily fluids ,
    It a bit hard to dispute in this day and age ,

Maybe the DPP can publicly clarify why it wasn't prosocuted ,even victims groups and various metoo crowds are awfully quiet about this ,
    More noise was made about non existent onlyfans leaks than this

If you have literally no knowledge about a subject, it’s best to keep quiet, rather than look like an idiot in your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Let’s assume she was raped and the DPP did not think the case was strong enough.
    Can you blame her for taking a civil case and trying to get compensation for what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Let’s assume she was raped and the DPP did not think the case was strong enough.
    Can you blame her for taking a civil case and trying to get compensation for what happened?

Its what normally happens in these cases. The DPP are notorious for being hesitant to prosecute rape cases unless they know they have a slam dunk. So most victims of rape have to go down the civil route to get justice, this is normal in Ireland.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its what normally happens in these cases. The DPP are notorious for being hesitant to prosecute rape cases unless they know they have a slam dunk. So most victims of rape have to go down the civil route to get justice, this is normal in Ireland.

the girl in the NI Rugby case would have won damages in a civil case, the PSNI were gung ho in persuing a rape conviction

• Registered Users Posts: 19,210 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

the girl in the NI Rugby case would have won damages in a civil case, the PSNI were gung ho in persuing a rape conviction

Does taking a criminal case mean you cannot later take a civil one?

General question about the legal system. I wouldn't have thought that it would but I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

General question about the legal system. I wouldn't have thought that it would but I don't know
    No. Individuals cannot take criminal cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭hynesie08

No, the most obvious example is O.J Simpson, the family took a civil case a couple of years later.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    No, the most obvious example is O.J Simpson, the family took a civil case a couple of years later.

I am aware of tthe Simpson case of course but that was in the US so I was asking about systems over this side of the Atlantic.

It appeared that the post that I replied to was kind of implying that the PSNI decision somehow prevented that person from taking a civil case. I did not think that that was the case but I may have misinterpreted their post

I am aware of tthe Simpson case of course but that was in the US so I was asking about systems over this side of the Atlantic.

It appeared that the post that I replied to was kind of implying that the PSNI decision somehow prevented that person from taking a civil case. I did not think that that was the case but I may have misinterpreted their post
    So, there are criminal laws but also civil torts - an individual cannot bring a criminal case against someone, only the State can do that (or the Crown in the case of NI); that doesn't stop an individual bringing a civil case for a tort i.e. trespass against the person.

Keep in mind as well that there are vastly different burdens of proof between civil cases and criminal cases, with the latter being a much higher bar to reach than the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say this case will be settled out of court.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭PCros

Am I misreading your claim or are you saying that if a hypothetical rape victim wanted justice, then they should forgo their anonymity on Facebook if they are genuine?

Her name is listed as under the High Court search website so essentially its out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Most likely. Throw money at it and it goes away. We will never know if he is guilty or innocent.

PCros wrote: »
    Her name is listed as under the High Court search website so essentially its out there now.

Yes but that is because it is a civil case.

The post was implying the principle that if a person was assaulted that you would expect that they'd post the details on Facebook

Yes but that is because it is a civil case.

The post was implying the principle that if a person was assaulted that you would expect that they'd post the details on Facebook
    Very little real-world evidence to support this claim tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

More than likely. But you can get a complainant who wants justice done and wants it seen to be done in public. Rape/sexual abuse cases are particularly personal to the victim and it can be the case that vindication in a public court is far more important to them than any compensation offered before it goes to a full hearing.

We likely wont know for 2 or 3 years anyway as there is a back log for civil cases in the High Court due to Covid, they have stopped holding jury trials in civil cases since last March.

Very little real-world evidence to support this claim tbf.

Yes but there would never be - given the alleged circumstances.

All the person would be doing is posting defamatory statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Most likely. Throw money at it and it goes away. We will never know if he is guilty or innocent.

Innocent people don’t throw hard earned money away on something they didn’t do.

Yes but there would never be - given the alleged circumstances.

All the person would be doing is posting defamatory statements.
    Sorry I misread "would" as "wouldn't". I still don't think we can easily predict what an alleged victim would or wouldn't do in any specific situation.

Innocent people don’t throw hard earned money away on something they didn’t do.
    Again, I'm not so sure about this - there are plenty of situations where companies have settled for nuisance value to keep the bigger story (and potential trial) out of the spotlight even if they were not "in the wrong". There's also the chance that despite your best efforts to defend a claim you lose on the day... then you're in the ****. This person in question is so well-known and valuable from a corporate perspective that I don't think you can necessarily ascribe what Joe Bloggs would do in a situation to him; in other words, I wouldn't necessarily in all circumstances take a settlement as an acceptance of guilt.

• Advertisement

No. Individuals cannot take criminal cases.
    So, there are criminal laws but also civil torts - an individual cannot bring a criminal case against someone, only the State can do that (or the Crown in the case of NI); that doesn't stop an individual bringing a civil case for a tort i.e. trespass against the person.

Keep in mind as well that there are vastly different burdens of proof between civil cases and criminal cases, with the latter being a much higher bar to reach than the former.

Sorry but you are incorrect. Private prosecutions absolutely do exist. The DPP are in charge of PUBLIC prosecutions in the interests of the public.

Should a person so desire, they can apply to the courts for a private prosecution and produce their evidence. Its very very rare and its even harder to win but lunatics still use it occasionally.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement