Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

paul71 wrote: »
    They are not required as Irish charities (often government funded) and social services do it, they are required in the UK.

Social services and charities (often as food banks) operate in the UK also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Look my argument is that I disagree with the assertions on here from some posters that the UK is a third world country and can't afford to feed its own children, assertions which have used the actions of Unicef UK to provide food worth 25k to children in London as proof.

Do you agree with these assertions as I note that you haven't been asking these posters for evidence or proof that the UK is not in a position to feed its children?

I missed the third world country argument. I suspect it was referring to the UK as a third country in the world in the context of trade with the EU.

I'm questioning your repeated assertion of some form of foul play from UNICEF. Nobody has claimed that the UK can't afford to feed children. The issue is that they're choosing not to.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Wrong I applaud Rashford. And Unicef should be feeding hungry children in all countries if their governments or parents are not doing it. Do you think that Unicef should be providing food to kids in Ireland as there are hungry kids here also?

No need. We don't have a populist right-wing government with an overwhelming majority. So we have a fairer society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭paul71

Social services and charities (often as food banks) operate in the UK also.

And unicef had to step in there but not here, ergo disproving your assertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

I missed the third world country argument. I suspect it was referring to the UK as a third country in the world in the context of trade with the EU.

I'm questioning your repeated assertion of some form of foul play from UNICEF. Nobody has claimed that the UK can't afford to feed children. The issue is that they're choosing not to.

If you read through the thread you will find the phrase "third world country" used rather than "third country" and I know the difference. And this whole idea of the UK not being able to feed its own kids if it really wished to was supported further when I challenged it.

I didn't assert anything about Unicef, I speculated about a possibility and I may well be wrong but politics is a dirty game and people shouldn't be naive. And finally people in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones (in relation to child poverty). I am not posting on this specific issue again as its gone down a rathole.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If you read through the thread you will find the phrase "third world country" used rather than "third country" and I know the difference. And this whole idea of the UK not being able to feed its own kids if it really wished to was supported further when I challenged it.

I didn't assert anything about Unicef, I speculated about a possibility and I may well be wrong but politics is a dirty game and people shouldn't be naive. And finally people in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones (in relation to child poverty). I am not posting on this specific issue again as its gone down a rathole.

I just checked. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment you've decided to either misinterpret or misrepresent.

Throwing out random possibilities and then hiding behind this as a justification for not doing the research is a poor argument. Without evidence or at least a well-written anecdote there's nothing.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

No need. We don't have a populist right-wing government with an overwhelming majority. So we have a fairer society.

or are just better at sweeping it under the carpet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The term 'third world country' comes from the cold war era. The world was divided into three - those that supported the USA and its allies (NATO)- inc the UK; then there were the countries that supported the USSR and its allies; then there were those countries that were non-aligned. Under that definition, Ireland is a third world country because we are non-aligned, not being a member of NATO or any other alliance. However, the pejorative use of the term is not appropriate in the modern world.

Now the term used for countries that are not wealthy is 'developing'. No country in Europe falls into that category. The EU puts a lot of effort in to helping 'developing' countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭paul71

That comment was "The third world" country not "A third world" and was made by a poster with a better command of English than any other posting on boards, the distinction he drew was from context and is clear. You have deliberately chosen to ignore that twice now even when pointed out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

They are in big trouble now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Ports closing will lead to more tailbacks on top of the existing tailbacks.
    Truck drivers will be stuck fork at least 48 hours, hope they have enough food or this could turn in to a disaster.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Roanmore wrote: »
    Ports closing will lead to more tailbacks on top of the existing tailbacks.
    Truck drivers will be stuck fork at least 48 hours, hope they have enough food or this could turn in to a disaster.
    Food. Fuel. Toilet facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Food. Fuel. Toilet facilities.

Is that the new government 3 word slogan ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Yuser.

Starmer needs to shake up the speechwriting a bit

Too many soundbytes

He doesn't seem to have a lot of charisma

• Registered Users Posts: 21,139 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yuser. wrote: »
    Starmer needs to shake up the speechwriting a bit

Too many soundbytes

He doesn't seem to have a lot of charisma

The clusterf**k by Johnson & co, is hardly a Starmer issue, just deflection.

Water John wrote: »
    The clusterf**k by Johnson & co, is hardly a Starmer issue, just deflection.

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,139 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In real terms, Starmer is just a bystander ATM. Political discussions are around Covid, Covid variant and Brexit. These are owned,(in a negative way), by Johnson and the Tories.
    Starmer doesn't have to do anything. He can take a nice long Christmas break.
    BTW you musn't have listened to PMQs over the last couple of months where, on a daily basis, Starmer roasted him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Aegir wrote: »
    or are just better at sweeping it under the carpet.

World class at it I would wager.

World beating ability to sweep under the carpet how they fought funding to feed children in after school clubs.

If only the Tories could learn a thing or two from the Irish government about this issue that obviously should be a bigger scandal in Ireland than it is.

You are the canary in the coalmine aegir!

In real terms, Starmer is just a bystander ATM. Political discussions are around Covid, Covid variant and Brexit. These are owned,(in a negative way), by Johnson and the Tories.
    BTW you musn't have listened to PMQs over the last couple of months where, on a daily basis, Starmer roasted him.

Pmqs is different, his legal skills come into play

You have to be a salesman to make a speech

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

They are also owned by Starmer and Labour as they support the Conservatives policies. The reality is that if Starmer and Labour had woken up with an eighty seat majority in the HoC anytime in the last month or so, it would have made very little difference in the policies that the U.K. government pursued in those areas. They are more interested in emulating the Conservatives than in offering an (noticeably different) alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

View wrote: »
    They are also owned by Starmer and Labour as they support the Conservatives policies. The reality is that if Starmer and Labour had woken up with an eighty seat majority in the HoC anytime in the last month or so, it would have made very little difference in the policies that the U.K. government pursued in those areas. They are more interested in emulating the Conservatives than in offering an (noticeably different) alternative.

Thats pure nonsense. Labour would not be holding up a Brexit deal and waiting till the last second over a few fish. There is also nothing to suggest they would have botched Covid to the extent the Tories did

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Looks like Boris Johnson is overridng the vetting by the House or Lords appointments commission, and making Peter Cruddas a peer. A new low in the level of corruption within the administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

PommieBast wrote: »
    Looks like Boris Johnson is overridng the vetting by the House or Lords appointments commission, and making Peter Cruddas a peer. A new low in the level of corruption within the administration.

I'm sure we'll be told by the resident defenders that there's nothing to see here. Once Lebedev got a peerage I don't think anyone was going to be shocked by anything that followed that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Jizique

I'm sure we'll be told by the resident defenders that there's nothing to see here. Once Lebedev got a peerage I don't think anyone was going to be shocked by anything that followed that!

He (Crudass) is a big Brexiteer; also Hanann gets a peerage - moves like this make me think a no-deal remains underpriced, even if Tesco are now rationing loo roll and eggs

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's hard to know but I assume that the Telegraph genuinely does not understand Irish history. At all!

https://twitter.com/mckinneytweets/status/1351819966958460928

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It's hard to know but I assume that the Telegraph genuinely does not understand Irish history. At all!

Did they not hear Biden's response to the BBC reporter who asked him for a quote for their viewers/listeners. His response was 'I'm Irish'.

I think the term 'tone deaf' applies to the Telegraph and their English readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The author of that piece is Christopher Hope, otherwise know as "Chopper", who does the "Chopper's Politics" podcast. I listened to a couple of them and concluded that he was thick as mince.

I simply don't understand how someone of this calibre becomes the chief political correspondent of a national broadsheet newspaper. It's mystifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lumen wrote: »
    The author of that piece is Christopher Hope, otherwise know as "Chopper", who does the "Chopper's Politics" podcast. I listened to a couple of them and concluded that he was thick as mince.

I simply don't understand how someone of this calibre becomes the chief political correspondent of a national broadsheet newspaper. It's mystifying.

because it's probably easy to drive an agenda through him with little resistance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Lumen wrote: »

Attended a British public school, so essentially, he is connected and the Irish Famine would not have been high on the list of teaching priorities there.

• Advertisement

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Attended a British public school, so essentially, he is connected and the Irish Famine would not have been high on the list of teaching priorities there.

From talking to people and having lived here for a decade, I get the impression that there's a collective sense of cultural embarrassment about chunks of their history which aren't taught in schools as a result.

Sad thing is that I've had plenty of people show a genuine interest in Ireland's culture and history without shying away from the "embarrassing" bits.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement