Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch servicing - who to go with?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭893bet

Actually no because it’s 16 seconds today!

I didn’t spend that kind of money to have an out of time watch.

It’s small potatoes time wise. Spending 500 to service a 2.5k watch is alot. If you plan on keeping for 20 years then it makes some sense.

If like me, you tend to sell “keepers“ a few years later then it makes less sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I hate the delay, but going to the maker is pretty solid outside of knowing a good watchmaker personally or through friends. I sent my milgauss to Rolex and took forever but came back like new. And if I choose to sell it my service history will replace the papers that I don’t have. I got my seamaster done by my friend and it was perfect but I understand that’s a rare privilege.

I would lean towards going to these companies, they do the job you want if you could press a button and have it done. Takes a while sometimes but if you can wait I’d go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

nj27 wrote: »
    I hate the delay, but going to the maker is pretty solid outside of knowing a good watchmaker personally or through friends. I sent my milgauss to Rolex and took forever but came back like new. And if I choose to sell it my service history will replace the papers that I don’t have. I got my seamaster done by my friend and it was perfect but I understand that’s a rare privilege.

I would lean towards going to these companies, they do the job you want if you could press a button and have it done. Takes a while sometimes but if you can wait I’d go with it.

i just checked the dates for my emergency with breitling and it was 12 days in total, compared to cartier which was 4 months

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

893bet wrote: »
    It’s small potatoes time wise. Spending 500 to service a 2.5k watch is alot. If you plan on keeping for 20 years then it makes some sense.

If like me, you tend to sell “keepers“ a few years later then it makes less sense.

Something to pass to the kids. I have a picture of me holding my son after he was born and the superocean on my wrist. I am sentimental bastard like that.

Big birthday in a few years so I would like to get another one then. Something like the Endurance Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

After a certain point the more you spend the less accurate they get. Mechanical watches are subject to variability in timing, its the natural of a mechanical watch especially one that is worn. Magnetisation, temperature, orientation, humidity, acceleration and impacts can thrown it off. That you can get 16 seconds a day is quite amazing.

A basic Seiko mechanical movement can be +/- 30 seconds a day, nothing irregular. And honestly the Valjoux movement, while reliable is not known for super time keeping. To get sub 3 seconds a day you need to spend big bucks on movement designed for accuracy, Grand Seiko for instance. Most of the Rolex watches are build more for reliability than accuracy, but are supposed to run within COSC specs. Omega watches run a tighter spec using METAS specs.

Look at the end of the day you dont wear a mechanical watch for its accuracy, hell its not even really for telling the time. I refuse to check the accuracy on any of my watches unless they are obviously loosing 5 minutes a day, because it becomes an obsession and an unrealistic one at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭893bet

Something to pass to the kids. I have a picture of me holding my son after he was born and the superocean on my wrist. I am sentimental bastard like that.

Big birthday in a few years so I would like to get another one then. Something like the Endurance Pro.

I am the same. I have a Stowa that is staying in my watch box for the same reason! If that’s the case I would opt for a breitling service rather than an independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

+/-16 is a bit out of whack - could indicate that a service is required, especially if things have changed i.e. it was consistently -5 before and now suddenly it's -16. I agree with Fitz to an extent that generally worrying a lot about a few seconds a day may drive you nuts in the end - but if there's been a sudden change in condition - just like with bodily parts and new pains - it's good to get it checked.

Who knows, it could be a gear has sheared, teeth fallen out etc - any drastic change in performance would be a cause for concern in my eyes.

Two suggestions - I'd wind it up so it's fully wound and leave it face up one day and see time difference, and then face down one day and see time difference there - if it's something like 15-20-30 seconds off then I would suggest a service - it could even be oils just starting to gum up and needing a reoiling - you don't run an engine without changing the oil, with a watch it's similar too.

Alternatively, if you don't want to go the service route - hopefully you can see a position that you can place the watch in that "gains back" lost time during the day. So if the watch is -16 seconds currently and you find that placing it face up, face down, crown up etc. makes the watch gain +7-10 seconds overnight then you could always leave it in that position on the nightstand and then it will balance out to just -3 seconds a day instead. This solution doesn't "solve" any underlying issues the movement may be undergoing but it might allow you to enjoy reasonably accurate timekeeping without any additional spending.
    Fitz II wrote: »
    After a certain point the more you spend the less accurate they get.

...And after a certain price point you won't be able to tell the time at all with your watch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

OmegaGene wrote: »
    i just checked the dates for my emergency with breitling and it was 12 days in total, compared to cartier which was 4 months

I'd go with them to be honest. I have a navitimer which will need looking at soon and I'll send it to them. I like the confidence of sending it to the guys who made it. If you want utmost confidence, and at Breitling prices you will, go for the manufacturer.

Deep down I know the answer to this but want to be 100% right as €510 is a lot of money for a full service.

My Breitling Avenger II Seawolf is running fast, usually about 1 minute over the course of 2/3 days.

It should go for the full service shouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Deep down I know the answer to this but want to be 100% right as €510 is a lot of money for a full service.

My Breitling Avenger II Seawolf is running fast, usually about 1 minute over the course of 2/3 days.

It should go for the full service shouldn't it?

Yup, it should. What causes an unserviced watch to run fast is usually some of the oil has dried in to a scum which prevents a full cycle of the balance which makes what should be 1 second in to something shorter.
    A service and regulation would solve that.

• Advertisement

Fitz II wrote: »
    ...........To get sub 3 seconds a day you need to spend big bucks on movement designed for accuracy, Grand Seiko for instance. Most of the Rolex watches are build more for reliability than accuracy, but are supposed to run within COSC specs. Omega watches run a tighter spec using METAS specs..............

I got very lucky with the Longines thing, loses about 5 seconds over 2 to 3 weeks when worn everyday. Approaching 5 years old now. Paying for a service wouldn't appeal at all truth be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭sabrewolfe

I would recommend Kish Jewelers in the Powerscourt Shopping Centre in Dublin. The owner has done a few repairs and services on Rolex and Omega watches belonging to my dad, he even managed to get one sorted out that Weirs had said was unserviceable and beyond repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Yup, it should. What causes an unserviced watch to run fast is usually some of the oil has dried in to a scum which prevents a full cycle of the balance which makes what should be 1 second in to something shorter.
    A service and regulation would solve that.

How much would a service cost (roughly)? I take it there is nowhere really open for this? until we are out of lockdown which will be in who knows
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pudsey64

I searched Watch Repairs Ireland on Facebook and found a page with a vicarstown address. That was Emily's base before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭micks_address

How much would a service cost (roughly)? I take it there is nowhere really open for this? until we are out of lockdown which will be in who knows
    Thanks

I know Watchfix were taking delivery by post and would post back

njburke wrote: »
    Please do, I have a Breitling that needs servicing, I don't want to go into weird with it, it's a Valjoux 7750, so a good watchmaker should manage.

Hey NJ - don't know if you've gotten your Breitling serviced already but Alan was great - fast, efficient and the watch is running well again (there appeared to be a date-wheel issue that he solved for a few euro because he happened to have the part in stock).

In fact I had tried to get him signed on to be our official Sólás servicer but he said he preferred getting private customers rather than bulk stuff from companies :D (I did assure him that I didn't expect Sólás to be sending him 10s of watches to be serviced everyday!)

He also does clocks too - so will definitely consider sending him my Atmos clock in 20 years' time for a tune up...

Currently contacting Watchfix to see if they may be interested in doing an occasional Sólás watch as our Irish servicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Hey NJ - don't know if you've gotten your Breitling serviced already but Alan was great - fast, efficient and the watch is running well again (there appeared to be a date-wheel issue that he solved for a few euro because he happened to have the part in stock).

In fact I had tried to get him signed on to be our official Sólás servicer but he said he preferred getting private customers rather than bulk stuff from companies :D (I did assure him that I didn't expect Sólás to be sending him 10s of watches to be serviced everyday!)

He also does clocks too - so will definitely consider sending him my Atmos clock in 20 years' time for a tune up...

Currently contacting Watchfix to see if they may be interested in doing an occasional Sólás watch as our Irish servicer.

Hi TF,
    The Breitling service is still on my to do list. Is Alan at watchfix.ie?

NJ

njburke wrote: »
    Hi TF,
    The Breitling service is still on my to do list. Is Alan at watchfix.ie?

NJ

He's this servicer here:
    http://www.tullywatchrepair.com/about-us/

I asked a couple of other Breitling owners and everyone in Dublin said the same thing.

Ken in Dawson Jewellers.

Dropped mine in a couple of weeks back. Full service €320 and was ready in 2 weeks.

Very happy with everything and its working perfectly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If 320 is for a chronograph service that's pretty good alright.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement