Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

moonlighting reporting

• 19-01-2021 5:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi Guys,

I have an issue with two colleagues, well not an issue more of an annoyance. They both moonlight and sometimes do so when on shift with me. The first thing to say is they are every lucky to be in the job they are, very well paid, and great benefits, more so than most others in our industry.

The first one works in some kind of pyramid selling online 'we make people millionaires' nonsense. She has been logged into zoom meetings for this during work on the sly, and has missed work because of this, an example is all the pyramid sellers meeting in a restaurant(as seen on Instagram)then she called in sick next morning an hour after work started. She is very flakey in work with sick days lateness, general performance is ok but no reliability(from august to October she missed 16 days)

The second is very lazy, terrible performer, had to extend his probation because of this. The minute he started he was delivering food the weekends and coming in half asleep and asking to leave early. Then he bought bitcoin and would watch trading videos non stop in work. Now he is doing some 'learning to code' course in work during work hours, very obviously, he even had his own laptop in with him one night.

I like my job very much, and these people are both underperforming in here and are so ungrateful then feel the need to take the piss. It doesn't affect me really but it aggravates me. We are in a job that isn't labor intensive and you do get down time, but there is still a lot of background work that id like us to do to perform better as a team. I have another colleague who is studying for a masters in the background, and you would never know, gets everything done, but wont do any study if there is work to be done.

i feel like a snitch if i report them, one has a teen and one a toddler, thats what makes me hold back.

let me know what ye think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

I think you should mind your own business op, if its not affecting your work you should forget about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I empathize to a certain degree but much of what you nightlight is none of your business.
    Whether they're staying up late watching Netflix or out delivering pizzas is their business - when it affects the work then it's your managers business.
    If you do go to your manager about performance keep it vague - x is consistently coming in exhausted and isnt doing a good job. Leave it at that. Pyramid selling and Coding courses in the detail are just snitchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Nothing wrong with telling your manager your observations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Jpscoles wrote: »
    It doesn't affect me really but it aggravates me.

Based on this I would let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

If they are missing days, it will be noticed. Their manager should be aware of how productive they are, its not up to you to flag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Jpscoles

i suppose its none of my business. it just irks me, and i end up having to do more work as i cant rely on leaving stuff for them. If certain things are not done its the whole tea of three shifts that gets the scythe from out technical director.

it confuses me why someone would not recognize they are doing a **** job and think 'better get a second job, that i can do during my current job'

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

It doesn't affect me really but it aggravates me.

I would disagree with this part, if it is aggravating you then it is affecting you. Right now its at an annoyance stage, however the longer this goes on it could impact your productivity by having to pick up the slack of your co workers who will still get credit for the extra you do.

Or worse still your mindset may eventually change to fall into the same patterns from the aggravation due to "if you cant beat them join them" thinking which could impact your personal KPI's and future growth in the company.

You could ask your team lead/manager for a 1 to 1 to discuss your performance and how you feel at work. You don't have to directly call out what your co workers are doing, however you could mention that you feel there is undue pressure on you to over perform as team mates are not pulling their weight and it is affecting your mood and as such could affect performance.

There are ways you could hint that if its not resolved then you could escalate up the chain or move on somewhere else as you don't want to be seen as a poor performer. Job satisfaction is very dependent on how you feel as much as your skill/qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭backwards_man

Have a 1-1 with your manager, explain that you are carrying the bulk of the workload because the other two are constantly doing other things during work hours, and you woukd like him too address it. You dont have to go any further than that. You all appear to be in an office despite lockdown so presumably your manager is in there too? Has he not noticed?
    Alternatively tell your colleagues to pull their own weight and stop covering for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i suppose its none of my business. it just irks me, and i end up having to do more work as i cant rely on leaving stuff for them. If certain things are not done its the whole tea of three shifts that gets the scythe from out technical director.

it confuses me why someone would not recognize they are doing a **** job and think 'better get a second job, that i can do during my current job'

If you are doing more work or covering for others then it does affect you.

Leave stuff for them to do,make it obvious to everyone it's their job and when it's not done or done arseways then when technical director comes calling they will have to deal with the issues.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So it is impacting your situation of their missed days and performance is impacting your team.

At the end of the day they are adults, it they don't like after their jobs, it's their problem not yours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement