Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am i f**ked?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Not VAG....near neighbour!

I can see after some searching you have an F10 520d.

Have you ever heard of the BMW yellow gromet issue?
    Well time for some reading!

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/116098-heavy-rain-water-leak/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Oh so is it a timing chain issue ?

I'd say water in the electronic parts.

The op has no come back unless they could definitely show there is a common fault in manufacturing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Is the rear footwell wet on the passenger side?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Dirty Nails

Wetbench4 wrote: »

2 things struck me in the video.
    Why is there 50mm of water in that box panel,that couldn't be right. The panel prob should drain inside the wings.

With all that sealer he could have pushed the grommet in to the hole rather than pulling it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

ongarite wrote: »
    I can see after some searching you have an F10 520d.

Have you ever heard of the BMW yellow gromet issue?
    Well time for some reading!

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/116098-heavy-rain-water-leak/

I watched a YouTube video about it I think but will look at that thanks.....rear passenger footwell is the only place it’s wet so highly likely it’s from the door as the garage thinks/has checked....

• Advertisement

Wetbench4 wrote: »

It is yeah! I watched that video quickly.....maybe I should look properly again....rear passenger side is the only place that’s wet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

They think the water is coming in through the door into the foot well? Ive heard of using a smoke/fog machine inside car to help find source of ingress the fog will escape where the water is coming in.

might be worth a try (ive never tried it myself just heard of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

did they say anything about accident damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

User1998 wrote: »
    So you think OP will get redress because there is some water under his carpets, over 2 years after buying the car?

I'm not saying that they will get redress but they have a chance because they bought from a business, buying 2 years ago doesn't absolve the business of responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭wandererz

How would boy racers have anything to do with this?
    Unless perhaps they were driving through floods??

I thought you had a problem with reprogramming of the Ecu or something for more power.

But, a water/flooding problem? And two years later??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I think you just need to get this fixed. If it was a uk import and you are resident in ireland you no longer have consumer rights in the uk as before. I would not waste energy on that route given the time and location and how easy it would be for them to dodge the issue even if they remember it how would you prove it was sold in that condition and they are responsible?

Sounds fixable though and hope you get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    This wouldn't be a wear and tear issue and if i didn't sort it out, it could more problems. There is absolutely nothing i could have done, even if i was the most boy racer of boy racers in the world, that could cause this basically so the car was sold to me with this.

So there's absolutely nothing you could have done to have caused it. No matter how you drove it.
    But you seem convinced that the previous driver caused it while driving, which isn't possible to the above.

So either it's a defect from manufacturer. Which I assume it out of warranty, but you can try BMW.
    Or it spontaneously happened. Which could just as likely been after you bought it as before. More likely in fact.

At least you likely found out why your suspension damper settings were unreactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

OP door membranes can rupture on their own. We had a 2007 Mondeo from new, 3 years old it started to let water in for no reason. Turns out the membrane in the rear door had started leaking. It was an easy fix. Youve sadly left it and the electrics have been damaged.

Lantus wrote: »
    I think you just need to get this fixed. If it was a uk import and you are resident in ireland you no longer have consumer rights in the uk as before. I would not waste energy on that route given the time and location and how easy it would be for them to dodge the issue even if they remember it how would you prove it was sold in that condition and they are responsible?

Sounds fixable though and hope you get it sorted.

Just to clarify, i bought it from a reputable garage who in turn brought it in from the UK....i'm guessing you are thinking i got it direct from the UK myself....cheers for the well wishes....

ba_barabus wrote: »
    OP door membranes can rupture on their own. We had a 2007 Mondeo from new, 3 years old it started to let water in for no reason. Turns out the membrane in the rear door had started leaking. It was an easy fix. Youve sadly left it and the electrics have been damaged.

Just to be clear, i didn't leave anything.....one of the reasons i'm bemused by this is that there was no obvious signs of an issue of this scale before the garage uncovered it.....

Mellor wrote: »
    So there's absolutely nothing you could have done to have caused it. No matter how you drove it.
    But you seem convinced that the previous driver caused it while driving, which isn't possible to the above.

So either it's a defect from manufacturer. Which I assume it out of warranty, but you can try BMW.
    Or it spontaneously happened. Which could just as likely been after you bought it as before. More likely in fact.

At least you likely found out why your suspension damper settings were unreactive.

well it could be as a result of a shoddy repair from a crash of ding....i know i didn't cause it (by my driving or otherwise) so could be previous owner....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Even highly reputable garages/dealers have limits as to what they will cover regardless of what the problem is. You say it didn't happen in your time as owner but you have absolutely no proof when it happened and no dealer is going to cover any work on a car they sold 2 years ago and has most likely been driven in excess of 50k in that time...no way no how.

Unfortunately this is on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭kirving

If you can dig up enough information online about others having similar issues, to indicate that it's a common problem with that model, and there is no evidence of any previous repair or damage, you could at least argue your case with a main dealer to get some contribution on the repair cost from the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

As an aside - I'm really curious as everyone I know that has/had a BMW has had constant problems with highly expensive repair bills to match.

Are BMW still a premium brand in terms of innovation, engineering and execution or are they still trading off reputation and prestige they just no longer have the right to any more????

Surely they should be be at the bottom of the wishlist by now - Inevitable issues with inexcusable bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Mango Joe wrote: »
    As an aside - I'm really curious as everyone I know that has/had a BMW has had constant problems with highly expensive repair bills to match.

Are BMW still a premium brand in terms of innovation, engineering and execution or are they still trading off reputation and prestige they just no longer have the right to any more????

Surely they should be be at the bottom of the wishlist by now - Inevitable issues with inexcusable bills.

What sort of issues had the bmw owners you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

you are covered under the sale of goods act and if the repair is less then 2k you can ask the garage that sold the car to pay if they say no you pay it and lodge a case
    I've been in the small claims court for non car related stuff and I was 16th on the list I got to see 3 garages go through before me and the claimant won each case
    This is no guarantee you will win but if you have a valid case the judge on my day seemed very far

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Even highly reputable garages/dealers have limits as to what they will cover regardless of what the problem is. You say it didn't happen in your time as owner but you have absolutely no proof when it happened and no dealer is going to cover any work on a car they sold 2 years ago and has most likely been driven in excess of 50k in that time...no way no how.

Unfortunately this is on you.

The garage has no choice in the matter as they sold the car so the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services act protects consumers. A car leaking after 2 years of ownership, or even 5 years since the car is a 161, is an issue that shouldn't happen so the OP could have some comeback against the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

What sort of issues had the bmw owners you know?

A relative owned a E90 that lunched its gearbox at 4 years old despite full BMWSH.

I honestly wouldn't touch one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

A relative owned a E90 that lunched its gearbox at 4 years old despite full BMWSH.

I honestly wouldn't touch one.

did they replace it for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

did they replace it for free?

They made a contribution, if I remember correctly, but it wasn't completely covered.

ok so just an update on where I am with this for anyone interested.......i got in touch with the garage i bought it from and they've agreed to a modest enough (but appreciated non the less) contribution to any work required to sort it out as customer good will....i've also got in touch with my nearest BMW garage.....what i've decided is to get them to check out the car and diagnose the problem which is causing this in the hope that i can get a favourable minimum cost solution through some kind of brand goodwill from BMW themselves...the reality is that the garage i got the work done which came across the issue haven't actually diagnosed the root cause and are just assuming where they think the problem is coming from and from my research and the advice here, it could be anything from the door membrane, blocked drains or this yellow gromit from hell issue. I'm hoping BMW themselves will be able to hone in on the cause more efficiently......booked in for next week and got the lend of a rain cover so at least the problem won't be any worse by the time its sorted.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Off topic BUT in the case of BMW who have made seven generations of the 5 series since the first in 1972..... how the heck are cars causing so many issues? There was all the fuss with the engines that went into the E90 cars, seemingly there's known issues with the OP's 5 series.

How, over nearly 50 years have they and other manufacturers not refined and evolved their cars to eliminate simple things like water ingress?

Off topic BUT in the case of BMW who have made seven generations of the 5 series since the first in 1972..... how the heck are cars causing so many issues? There was all the fuss with the engines that went into the E90 cars, seemingly there's known issues with the OP's 5 series.

How, over nearly 50 years have they and other manufacturers not refined and evolved their cars to eliminate simple things like water ingress?

I guess if they knew the answer to this themselves, or any other manufacturer for that matter, they'd have produced the perfect car......i suppose the reality is that when you update a model and put new technology into it, there will be gremlins that crop up.....all about how design lessons learnt are captured and brought into future designs....cost cutting could be an issue also.....just my take....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

How long are we putting roofs on our huts, occasionally they still leak when it rains! :D

If there’s a way for water to find it’s way into anywhere, it’ll get there. Bad design is a major part of it, but being strict with maintenance can help. Keeping door-seals clear & leaves out of blocking up drainage channels etc but especially somewhere as wet as Ireland, the water will always get where you don’t want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭NoBread

The problem isn't that they don't know how to build the perfect car. The problem is that capitalism demands an ever increasing profit sheet. Eventually quality suffers. You have good engineering made by the cheapest bidder essentially.

Advertisement