Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Beguiled (Sofia Coppola)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Interesting. I was a fan of Clint's version thought he played a good role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No just ****ing no! - It's one of Eastwood's most intriguing films.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

The name's Mcburney but you can call me McD.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Disposable1

Yeah but in fairness it is based on a book, so is open to interpretation, also I think she will do a good job, I trust her.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The reviews are not bad

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The reviews are not bad

Some would even say good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Reviews are excellent bar the usual moaning about Coppola being a privileged rich white girl. The film has also been accused of whitewashing for excluding the female black slave character from the book.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I found it very strong indeed - upper tier Coppola (not quite Lost in Translation 'god tier', but would have a fighting chance for her second or third best). Biggest surprise was just how funny it was - everyone's having a blast here, mining the theoretically grim subject matter for the dark humour within. Also worth admiring just how memorably foggy the whole affair is - everything feels like it's covered in a mildly suffocating layer of mist, which not only suits the oppressive sexual tension (brilliant, playful example of the female gaze in that respect), but also lends the film a strong visual style (also worth noting: nighttime scenes that actually feel like night - Lyndon quality candlelight here).

Only major complaint I'd have is it feels like it takes 15 minutes or so to kick into gear, yet with a modest running time I'd have frankly happily have taken another 20 minutes or so when it does pick up momentum and energy. But that is a good complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Very much looking forward to it but without reading too much about it, is the 2014 film 'The Keeping Room' sort of heavily inspired by the novel on which this is based?

From reading the first few lines it sounds extremely similar.

Incidentally thought the Keeping Room was a very good film, probably one to check out if you enjoyed The Beguiled.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Very much looking forward to it but without reading too much about it, is the 2014 film 'The Keeping Room' sort of heavily inspired by the novel on which this is based?

From reading the first few lines it sounds extremely similar.

Incidentally thought the Keeping Room was a very good film, probably one to check out if you enjoyed The Beguiled.

I think this and The Keeping Room are basically feminist re-tellings of the Siegal/Eastwood movie, which is considered somewhat misogynistic now. I haven't seen Coppola's version yet, but it probably screwed up in a way that The Keeping Room didn't by stripping away the historical context.

As an aside, I never noticed it before but I was listening to an interview with Coppola recently and Johansson is doing an absolute dead on impression of her in Lost in Translation. She laughs and talks the exact same way, it's really amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

TG4 airing it tonight

Advertisement