Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good mask for running

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

the goon wrote: »

Following my query here I invested in 10 mask + 300 replaceable filters which I wear when running (5-10k, 5 times a week). Its been fine.

Do you have a link. The totobobo that I tried seemed to be marketed mostly at cyclists in cities with worse pollution. But like I said it was too much for running.
    Would like to try something else because when I get home my snude/snood stinks of smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I hope you do run for the sake of your health, because otherwise you'll give yourself a coronary getting this upset over something which no one is actually making you do!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭the goon

Do you have a link. The totobobo that I tried seemed to be marketed mostly at cyclists in cities with worse pollution. But like I said it was too much for running.
    Would like to try something else because when I get home my snude/snood stinks of smoke.

I got them on Aliexpress, took about three weeks to come. They aren't specific to running but I have found them really comfortable. They are like this

https://m.alibaba.com/product/60237740925/Activated-carbon-filter-PM-2-5.html?__detailProductImg=https%3A%2F%2Fs.alicdn.com%2F%40sc01%2Fkf%2FH4b44166bf454469699492f9cfe94abaeZ.jpg_200x200.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Running with masks? What has the world come to! Ridiculous stuff.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Running with masks? What has the world come to! Ridiculous stuff.

Mad Ted. Let's march against it.

• Advertisement

Mad Ted. Let's march against it.

I'll follow most restrictions but I draw the line at masks for running.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I'll follow most restrictions but I draw the line at masks for running.

It's not a restriction.

It's not a restriction.

If it were to become one. Nothing surprises me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

https://www.independent.ie/news/are-too-many-of-us-bending-the-rules-of-this-lockdown-39979542.html
    Jogging on the footpath
    It’s still rare to see a jogger on a busy footpath wearing a face mask. Most pedestrians take a wide berth if they see a heavy breathing jogger striding towards them.

Scientists say a jogger may create more virus in the atmosphere around them than a person walking. However, they pass the other oncoming person more quickly and the risk is low.

But there is always the chance a jogger will uncontrollably cough or sneeze passing by pedestrians. With the new more infectious virus circulating, they should wear a face mask as a precaution, particularly if running on narrow paths.

Why does the anger always go towards the people contributing the least to the spread of the virus every time society ****s the bed on it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

I've an Under Armour for a few months now, didn't think much of it initially however recently I've worn other types found I missed my U/A its more comfortable and I can breathe easier wearing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Stark wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/news/are-too-many-of-us-bending-the-rules-of-this-lockdown-39979542.html

Why does the anger always go towards the people contributing the least to the spread of the virus every time society ****s the bed on it :mad:

I'm not prone to hayfever or anything, but can't say I've ever been at risk of sneezing while running!

I do get quite snotty when I run but I wait till I'm well away from people before clearing my nose. It's not like these things are involuntary reflexes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Khumatmibro

You'd want to be some hypochondriac to wear a mask going out for a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

It's just much easier to point the finger at someone specific and use spurious deductive logic than it is to try and understand something complex like how disease actually spreads.

In short - because people are stupid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's been noticeable the last week or so how many other pedestrians coming towards me hide in driveways or take significantly wider berths as I run towards them. Previously only noticed that behaviour if I was out on a very long run through some villages on the outskirts of the city, now its happening pretty much everywhere I run around the city. Not sure it was this obvious even back in March / April 2020.

robinph wrote: »
    It's been noticeable the last week or so how many other pedestrians coming towards me hide in driveways or take significantly wider berths as I run towards them. Previously only noticed that behaviour if I was out on a very long run through some villages on the outskirts of the city, now its happening pretty much everywhere I run around the city. Not sure it was this obvious even back in March / April 2020.
    All I see is people disgusted with me no matter what I do or where I go. These same people are typically glued to their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

robinph wrote: »

Have noticed the same, last summer it was pretty much back to normal with people giving/not giving way to an oncoming runner, nowadays people seem to think the plague express is incoming as I head in their direction, I hate it. As soon as the the weather warms up a bit I'll go back to running before work to avoid this.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Feels like Groundhog day again. The same place we were 10 months ago. The same demonizing of runners. The same annoyance from runners towards overly careful pedestrians, the same annoyance at runners breathing their plumes of toxic breath, the same annoyance at "ignorant" pedestrians who refuse to move out of the way.............round and round we go. Seems like the first thing this virus killed was empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Feels like Groundhog day again. The same place we were 10 months ago. The same demonizing of runners. The same annoyance from runners towards overly careful pedestrians, the same annoyance at runners breathing their plumes of toxic breath, the same annoyance at "ignorant" pedestrians who refuse to move out of the way.............round and round we go. Seems like the first thing this virus killed was empathy.

An elderly lady literally jumped into some bushes a few weeks back as I ran through a park here!! I had given her a wide enough berth to be honest but she was obviously scared $hitless!!

Thankfully that’s a very rare occurrence, I stick to running on the streets or cycle lanes and leave the paths to the walkers.

I know you can’t do that at home because of safety but runners aren’t being scapegoated here from what I’ve read or observed. And the Dutch would be the first to tell you if they had an issue with you!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    And the Dutch would be the first to tell you if they had an issue with you!!

fond memories of my one and only trip to Amsterdam where I naively walked in a cycle lane (didnt do my homework before travelling) and was promptly called a F*cking c*nt by a very angry cyclist. :D . Didnt even know I was walking in a bike lane!

• Advertisement

I'm sure they're sick of tourists doing that all the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I'm sure they're sick of tourists doing that all the time :)

Locals are worse!!!

fond memories of my one and only trip to Amsterdam where I naively walked in a cycle lane (didnt do my homework before travelling) and was promptly called a F*cking c*nt by a very angry cyclist. :D . Didnt even know I was walking in a bike lane!

I was cycling in a cycle lane and I got similar. Was stopped at lights. As they go green it takes me a bit of time to build up momentum, and somebody from far back who didn't have to stop at the lights almost goes into the back of me at break neck speeds. He shouts at me telling me to learn how to cycle. To this day I still am at a loss as to what I did wrong.

Dutch people are among my favourite people. But put them on a bike and there's some serious personality swings!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

I personally wear a snood, have loads from previous races. I've no problem pulling it up over my mouth and nose if I'm approaching an older person or anyone wearing a mask. I make sure to give people a wide berth if possible and pick routes where the paths are wide enough or run on grass in my local park.

Through some voluntary work, I know just how scared some older and more vulnerable people feel and those who say "just keep them indoors and let the rest of us live" are in my opinion selfish c*nts.

I would describe it like this; imagine a 100 jelly beans and one of the 100 will put you in hospital or may even kill you, once a week you have to go pick up your pension, visit the local health centre (some nurses visit homes thankfully) or just go to the shops for a pint of milk; now, pick 1 of the 100 jelly beans and eat it without been worried. To those who say a "100 f*ucking jelly beans my arse" this is the thought process that some people experience, I know I've talked to them. I cancelled my Father's NCT appointment because he was not just scared of going there, he was scared of sitting back in the car afterwards as I said I'd bring it, I rang them and they don't clean it after the test. He felt like he would be not just picking 1 jelly bean but 10 or more if he was to sit back in the car, as irrational or not his thought process would be, that fear is real for him and others.

I've had one person take out a crucifix and kiss it as I ran past, they didn't do it to make me feel bad, they did it so they felt safer and I've no problem what so ever with that. I shout a warning to people that I'm passing on their left and while yes sometimes I may have felt that someone may have been over the top in their reactions, I try not to take it personally. I've stepped away to avoid smokers, why shouldn't I do the same for someone else who feels the same about me breathing all over them.

So just wear a snood or something similar, it may seem pointless to you but for someone else its a sign that however unfounded you accept their fears. Christ, how many of us (before all this started) actually used a snood during cold weather, I've worn balaclavas riding a bike, I didn't get lightheaded and ride into traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Unfortunately this is nothing new, virus or no virus! I just give everyone wide berth, I try to run on the path towards oncoming traffic so I can jump onto the road if I need to. I've had elderly people on crutches or walking sticks try to walk out onto the road to give ME space and have had to tell them to stay put and I'll go round them. You'd hate to think what sort of experience they've had where they feel they need to be the ones moving out of the way :(.

There will always be ars*holes out there, the only thing we can control is ourselves and our own behaviour. I don't see the need for a mask when out running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Unfortunately this is nothing new, virus or no virus! I just give everyone wide berth, I try to run on the path towards oncoming traffic so I can jump onto the road if I need to. I've had elderly people on crutches or walking sticks try to walk out onto the road to give ME space and have had to tell them to stay put and I'll go round them. You'd hate to think what sort of experience they've had where they feel they need to be the ones moving out of the way :(.

There will always be ars*holes out there, the only thing we can control is ourselves and our own behaviour. I don't see the need for a mask when out running.

Same here. I step out of the path of anyone coming the other way well before we meet but sometimes people step out of the way before I do. Obviously I avoid busy paths but occasionally it's unavoidable to meet someone on a narrow path.

I had one "incident" where an old lady seemed truly terrified of me as I was running by her, thankfully that hasn't happened again.

From what I keep reading I don't think a mask would make any measurable difference when passing someone for a second, especially outdoors, but if there were an official recommendation to wear one, of course I would (or maybe in that case I'd just stick to the treadmill).

It's truly sad that there always has to be an us against them, I somewhat agree with Swashbuckler that empathy seems to have been the first victim. There is absolutely no need to vilify runners, or joggers, or anyone else out there not trying to cause any harm.

Home from tonight's run and I don't know why but the rain makes the smoke stick! The snood, even the jacket stink like I've been stood by a bonfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Just after catching up on this thread, Google suggested I read this. https://theconversation.com/amp/joggers-and-cyclists-should-wear-masks-heres-why-153110
    Turbulent gas clouds ... social solidarity, etc.

jlang wrote: »
    Just after catching up on this thread, Google suggested I read this. https://theconversation.com/amp/joggers-and-cyclists-should-wear-masks-heres-why-153110
    Turbulent gas clouds ... social solidarity, etc.

I wonder did Pat Kenny write that article.

Well I'll be damned if I'll wear a mask when Jimmy down the street has his family and fifteen cousins around for a nice old get together. Asking runners to wear a mask is the equivalent of using a bucket with holes to clear the water out of the sinking Titanic. Go after the root cause of the issue and get bang for your buck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭CR 7

They at least posted this for a bit of balance today also;

https://m.independent.ie/news/are-too-many-of-us-bending-the-rules-of-this-lockdown-39979542.html

I think I've seen each of these on almost each run since last march, apart from days when it's raining.

Advertisement